Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First Rigger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tsuyoshikentsu
So... I volunteered to play the rigger. And I have no idea how to make one, let alone what drones to use. I'm guessing I want a combat drone and some stealthy surveillance ones, plus maybe that medical drone thing.

...Help?
Synner667
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Sep 1 2008, 07:37 AM) *
So... I volunteered to play the rigger. And I have no idea how to make one, let alone what drones to use. I'm guessing I want a combat drone and some stealthy surveillance ones, plus maybe that medical drone thing.

...Help?

Although it's good that you want to try something new...
...If you really know nothing about being a Rigger/VehicleJock, be sensible and play something else.
tsuyoshikentsu
By that logic, how would I ever be able to play a rigger?

Besides, I get how the mechanics work and all. I'm just not sure what's good, what's a trap, etc.
Synner667
Without wanting to to coma across as sarcastic...
..If you know nothing about being a Rigger, and can't work out anything from the details in the SR rulebook for yourself, you'll only be getting other people's views on what to do.

Will you then ask other people when it comes to decisions and improvements ??

You asked for advice...
...Take it or leave it, it matters not to me - it's your game.
sunnyside
Jeez.

Look get the VCR. It's pretty cheap. But also consider some cyberware reaction enhancers. You're fairly on track with the drones.

But you may want to tell people if you're using Arsenal or not if you want specifics.
Ryu
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Sep 1 2008, 08:37 AM) *

...Help?

- Do you have Arsenal?
- Do you have Augmentation?
- Do you know the principles of the wireless matrix?
- What does your group expect from a rigger?

You need:
- Hardware + Software + Computers = Electronics group
- At least Matrix Combat, possibly Electronic Warfare, and you are half a hacker when done anyway = Cracking group
- Riggers benefit from the Stealth group
- Riggers need a high perception skill (see sensor tests)
- at least one vehicle skill, likely more
- a high-end comlink
- several drones, choose your poison.
Ustio
Well ignoring the sarcasm and vitirol from some of the posts regarding newbie rigger.

General points
    All drones should have the best ECCM you can afford
    Increase the signal as much as you can
    Skillwires are your freind (theres always gonna be some skills you want)
    Nanohive(2) + control rig boostrer (3), and neo-cortical stimulus (3) stick it in a cyber limb (silly essence cost otherwise)

Drones

Flyspy with chameleon coating for close in surveilance work

A stormcloud with improved signal and sensors and a retrans unit for running wide area surveilance (also like to put ruthmium on this so it can put on different skins (normmally advrtisments -who actually pays attention to floating bill boards?)

Nissan Rotor drone with a ma2100 or lmg for long ranged fire support

Dobermans with ares alphas or any assault rifle with an underbarrell option (shotguns/flame throwers/etc) for close in support

Bust-a-moves with ruthmium and retrans unit for signal carriers inside facilities - the ruthmium makes em put on the company logo and some mindnumbing "inspirational" message then i just leave them on desks and have them blurt out the message when ever someone walks past (again hiding in plain sight is always better than trying to hide in the ever decreasing shadows)

The drone from unwired with the cable splicer and a retrans unit (seeing a pattern with this mod?) - the hacker will love you for this one.

The Van-of-Death© - a bulldog or other high body van - retrans unit, cham coating, improved sensors, drone rack, all the bells and whistles (i wouldnt put weapons on it tho - makes the star angry)

And as many dragonfly HKs as you can get (dont go for the grenade option) - install dart pistols on em for assassin drones, or leave em as vehicle killers (just remember to bypass armour a lot)
JudgementLoaf
Sensors. Microdrones with high sensor ratings are invaluable to a team. Outside of that, using any number of cars or larger drones can work. I even had a player turn a beaver (construction drone) into a walking tank at one point.......
Krule
Well.. I wouldn't recommend it for the first rigger... but, if your familiar with Technomages, and have the Unwired book.. a Dronomancer can make an interesting Rigger. However, on a more serious note.

The Rigger holds an unque and important possition on the team, however, he or she is also usually, in the games I've played, the most easily replaced, or done without. For Cyberware, A Control Rig is absolutely nessary, and you need plenty of driving skills besides that, I suggest the Mechanic's Skill and Electronic's skill groups, with Electronic Warfare being somewhat nessary to deal with people trying to hack into your drones. Skill Wires are a good backup, actually, downloading new skills when you need them, is not without it's advantages, although... your resources also need to be spent on drones and vehicles.

tsuyoshikentsu
Wow, thanks for all the advice. It's a lot to digest, but I'm looking into all of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012