Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Quick Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
venenum
What is a PC free spirit's spell sustaining penelty?
Ol' Scratch
Exactly the same as any other player character except where expressely said otherwise.
Aaron
More helpfully, spells or powers?
venenum
Clarified above. My group has never had someone conjour spirits of man before... so we had no idea how to go with a spirit sustaining a spell.
Tarantula
Same -2 as anything else. Goes with sustaning a spell, whoever does it gets to suck the penalty.
Coldan
Well, even if nearly everybody say, it is the normal -2 dice modifier, I'm not sure about it. Critters (and so also Spirits) substain their powers without any penalty. So you cast the spell like a normal magican, but do you substain the spell also like a normal magician? Their isn't mentioned anything like this.

Well, decide yourself, it there is a dice modifier or not.

Coldan

Edit: Ok, overlooked the point of the PC Free Spirit. Pointed at the Inniate spell power. My fault.
KCKitsune
Venenum, sorry for a small thread jacking, but since you've already got the answer to your question (I think), I've got a question for everyone:

Why are Technical Skills covered under ActiveSofts? I mean honestly, I can totally understand why Physical and Combat Skills are covered (your body doesn't know HOW to move like that in the milliseconds you need to move like that), but Technical Skills seem to me, to be covered under KnowSofts.
Platinum Dragon
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 9 2008, 01:21 PM) *
Venenum, sorry for a small thread jacking, but since you've already got the answer to your question (I think), I've got a question for everyone:

Why are Technical Skills covered under ActiveSofts? I mean honestly, I can totally understand why Physical and Combat Skills are covered (your body doesn't know HOW to move like that in the milliseconds you need to move like that), but Technical Skills seem to me, to be covered under KnowSofts.

A technical skill would probably be half-and-half more often than not. A knowsoft for mechanics might tell you how a car works, but it won't make you any good at getting your hands dirty and fixing it. /shrug
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Platinum Dragon @ Sep 8 2008, 11:40 PM) *
A technical skill would probably be half-and-half more often than not. A knowsoft for mechanics might tell you how a car works, but it won't make you any good at getting your hands dirty and fixing it. /shrug

OK I can understand that, but when you're repairing a car you don't need to have split second reactions. If you want to dodge that punch you need to move FAST! With repairing a car you can take your time. I would think that a technical skill would be more like a "Expert in a Box" than a program to take over your body to get it to do something you never learned.
Platinum Dragon
Very true, but what about the level of precision needed to fix a circuit board with a soldering(sp?) iron? Or to mix Nitroglycerine based explosives? Fast reactions is not the only thing activesofts give you, they also provide the finess you would normally only get through years of experience. Still, at the end of the day, the dev's probably just flipped a coin rather than making a new skillsoft group or a third category. If you want that level of detail, you could always rule on a skill-by-skill basis in your own games.
KCKitsune
The reason that I'm asking this is because I am making a character with a obvious cyberhand with an auto-injector, biomonitor, commlink, and datajack. I'm trying to figure out how to have the Agent running on the commlink run a First Aid 'Soft to tell the Savior Medical Nanites how to go about fixing my dumb ass if I get shot up. I don't know if there is an Autosoft to do that.
Ol' Scratch
That's the job of a Biomonitor and the Savior Medkit itself.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 9 2008, 03:57 AM) *
That's the job of a Biomonitor and the Savior Medkit itself.

Except I want to have the Savior Nanites in my auto-injector. I asked about this in a previous thread and people said you can have it in an injector.
Ol' Scratch
And that would be what your PAN is for. Everything is interconnected.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 9 2008, 03:15 AM) *
And that would be what your PAN is forever. Everything is interconnected.

So all I would need is the Biomonitor and the Savior Nanites? I wouldn't need an AutoSoft (First Aid) to get them to work?

If so then I'm going to keep the Agent and maybe use it for a "Hacker in a Box" type deal
FlashbackJon
The Biomonitor is just that: a biological monitor. It can be set up to trigger any number of responses, via your PAN.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 9 2008, 05:17 AM) *
So all I would need is the Biomonitor and the Savior Nanites? I wouldn't need an AutoSoft (First Aid) to get them to work?

That's correct. You don't even need an Auto-Injector. The Savior Medkit automatically injects you when activated, which is what the Biomonitor is for. You just have to have the Savior Medkit on you (usually adding it to your armor) and linked to your PAN.

Auto-Injectors are nice for other things, though, like Antidote Patches (I've never been in a game where a GM didn't allow you to just pay the same price to get Slap Patches as normal drug cocktails) or Psyche.

If so then I'm going to keep the Agent and maybe use it for a "Hacker in a Box" type deal

I'd blow the money on something else, personally.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 9 2008, 11:25 AM) *
That's correct. You don't even need an Auto-Injector. The Savior Medkit automatically injects you when activated, which is what the Biomonitor is for. You just have to have the Savior Medkit on you (usually adding it to your armor) and linked to your PAN.

Auto-Injectors are nice for other things, though, like Antidote Patches (I've never been in a game where a GM didn't allow you to just pay the same price to get Slap Patches as normal drug cocktails) or Psyche.

I have the following loaded up into my auto-injector:
  1. Trauma "Patch"
  2. Antidote "Patch" (Rating 6)
  3. Cram
  4. Savior Nanites
  5. Savior Nanites
  6. Psyche

This would cover most of the situations that runner could get himself into. Gotta love cyberlimbs and their capacity. Also gotta love the fact that an Auto-injector takes up zero capacity in a cyberlimb... Why wouldn't you take one per limb? Heck have one in every cyberlimb! They're dirt cheap, take up no capacity, and can have VERY neat things loaded in them.

As for the Knowsoft... I got rid of that, but I'm keeping the Agent because I'm loading it with Armor and Attack... Guard dog with some teeth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012