Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CyberLimb ECU's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sphynx
Anyone come up with a slightly more sensical chart than 20 ECU per leg regardless of Race? Noticed a Dwarf in our group had a Cyber Leg with 20 ECU filled and suddenly had this image of the clowns at the fair all jamming into that small car.... Then again, since 50 Cubic Cm is roughly the size of an American Softball, and also roughly the size of 1 ECU, those Troll Legs seem mighty empty in comparison.

So, is there a chart someone's made somewhere with more sensical numbers?

Sphynx
Crusher Bob
And you though there was a clown car effect before... Now those munchy dwarves will be using troll sized cyberlimbs to cram in the maximum payload rotfl.gif
toturi
Consider:
Body of normal Troll > Body of normal Dwarf, therefore Cyberlimb of Troll > Cyberlimb of Dwarf
QED, larger size of limb counts towards Body, hence free space within limbs are the same.
Austere Emancipator
Aren't dwarves supposed to have very short legs for their size, too? But their arms probably shouldn't be any smaller, since they usually hang down at their knees or below, and they are supposed to be extremely strong.

Trolls have rather short legs (for their size) too, don't they? However, their arms should probably be really big.

So, 10 ECU legs for dwarves, 30 ECU legs for trolls, 25 ECU arms for trolls? Synthetics would have 5, 15, and 12, respectively.

Body plating and Quickness enhancements should probably change in ECU costs -- the only cyberlimb mods that I could think of that would be directly related to the size of the limb. Half ECU cost for dwarf-legs, double ECU cost for troll limbs? Something like that.

[Edit]Forgot about cybertorsos... These should probably be the same for all but Trolls, since dwarven torsos aren't that much shorter, and they're certainly a LOT thicker. Troll cybertorsos might have, say, 15 ECU.

The best way to figure out the actual volume of metahuman limbs would be looking at the weights and relative limb sizes, but that might be too unbalancing in some cases. For example, it would lead to 50 ECU troll cyberarms and 35 ECU troll cybertorsos. Some might like this, others probably would not.

QUOTE (toturi)
Consider:
Body of normal Troll > Body of normal Dwarf, therefore Cyberlimb of Troll > Cyberlimb of Dwarf
QED, larger size of limb counts towards Body, hence free space within limbs are the same.

I think one main point is that if cyberlimbs in general have empty space for additional stuff inside them, then it is most likely because cyberlimbs can pack as much power and rigidity into much smaller volume and mass than (meta)human muscles and bones. For example, artificial muscles and bones might be 0.75x the size and weight of the genuine article. 0.25x the size of a human arm should be a lot less than 0.25x a troll arm.

I'm not saying that I think everyone should use rules to modify metahuman limb ECU values, though. It is, in fact, rather unlikely that I'll ever bother. On the other hand, there are no dwarves or trolls in my group, so it's a non-issue.[/Edit]
Rattler
While we're at it, why does the available ECU of a cyberlimb decrease when you increase the grade (eg. alpha to beta)? Shouldn't there be more space, since the mechanical components of the limb become "more streamlined and ergonomic"? It's not as if the limb itself was shrinking in size, which would look completely ridiculous if they were in proportion to the rest of your body before.
Austere Emancipator
I remembered that was in an Errata or somewhere, but it isn't... So it's just a house rule that I agree upon with quite a few people here on DSF: It works the other way around, ie that higher grade cyberlimbs have more space.

You could argue that standard cyberlimbs are bulky and therefore not very concealable, but alpha or higher grade cyberlimbs are more streamlined and thus have less space inside. But I don't. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012