Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC VS Agent
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
i101
Hoi,
my question may sound a lil bit stupid, but can anyone here tell me why I should prefair IC instead of an agent to protect a node of my choice?
The corebooks says that IC "is widely used to describe any of the defenses a node employs against intruders, it specifically refers to a specialized type of agent program that is used to defend a system." Ok what does this mean? Cant an agent be used to defend a node? I remeber to have read something inside Unwired: agents VS mooks. If i got it right an unmodified agent cant hack and attack... It has restrictions, you will need a mook.
Does this mean that by RAW an agent cant hack, attack and defend a node? If yes, I consider the same prices for agents and IC as acceptable. But if an agent can hack, attack and defend by RAW I dont understand the real difference between them.
Tarantula
IC = agent program used for node defence.
Ryu
Unrestricted agents are more expensive, but there is an (ill-defined) border between IC and agents. IC guards nodes, agents to something the user could do less comfortably, or not as good.
i101
The question is why should i pay 12,500NY for level 5 IC if can get an agent that costs the same, and has more options then just defending a node.
Ryu
There is no mechanical reason to prefer IC.
crizh
There is no mechanical reason to prefer an Agent.

IC has no actual mechanical restrictions on the actions it can take and costs less than an unrestricted Agent.
i101
I came to the same conclusion and asked myself if i overlooked something... Hmm maybe i should come up with some kind of houserule where IC gets a bonus dice for defending a node, or simply lower the costs.
The Monk
I give IC a couple of programs like attack track etc.
Jaid
iirc, a node can activate IC, but cannot activate an agent. not 100% sure on that though.
Blade
For me it's just a packaging/limitation issue.
An agent can do everything, but an IC will be an agent packaged with node security software and scripts for node security and limitations so that they won't be used any other way.

You can compare it with an iPod: the processing power would let you use it for a lot more than play music and video. But because of the way it's packaged you can't do much more. But if you get a little bit technical and install linux on it, you can remove the software limitations and use the processing power for whatever you want that's in the limit of the device. You'll still have hardware limitations (the controls are only made for music/video use) but these can be changed too.

So for me, the IC are just some of Unwired's sample node security agents.
Ryu
It is supposedly harder to give IC non-IC tasks. Penalties up to the GM. A restricted agent will not perform illegal activities. Defense against intruders is legal, yes?
i101
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 10 2008, 10:09 PM) *
iirc, a node can activate IC, but cannot activate an agent. not 100% sure on that though.

Havent found anything on this yet.

QUOTE (Ryu @ Sep 11 2008, 06:17 AM) *
It is supposedly harder to give IC non-IC tasks. Penalties up to the GM. A restricted agent will not perform illegal activities. Defense against intruders is legal, yes?

If i got it right IC cant take non-IC tasks. Defend is their only purpose.
Magus
But how about when IC is the aggressor? Defense is not the only option. IC can tag, track and then follow and attack the intruder in its home node if needed. IC is not only for defense.

i101
@Magus: Right. Thats what i meant too, in case of an intruder one IC could defend/attack and another could try to tag, track and follow the intruder. What i meant is that IC shouldnt be able to spoof and exploit.
Tarantula
QUOTE (i101 @ Sep 11 2008, 09:40 AM) *
@Magus: Right. Thats what i meant too, in case of an intruder one IC could defend/attack and another could try to tag, track and follow the intruder. What i meant is that IC shouldnt be able to spoof and exploit.

Maybe not spoof. Exploit certainly if they're trying to pursue a hacker that intruded their node into his home node for tracking him down.
crizh
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 11 2008, 04:54 PM) *
Maybe not spoof. Exploit certainly if they're trying to pursue a hacker that intruded their node into his home node for tracking him down.

QUOTE (Unwired, p71)
Juhseung Saja

Courtesy of the Choson Seoulpa Ring, this ruthless black IC appears in virtual reality as a kindly older man or woman in traditional Korean garb. When activated, it initially attacks an intruder with Blackout. Once the hacker is rendered unconscious, the IC Tracks her signal back to the source and Spoofs the hacker's node to transfer the Juhseung Saja to itself. It then Browses through the hacker's node to find information about the hacker's family and friends, and then moves on to Track them, Spoof them, and attack them with Black Hammer. If it successfully kills the hacker's loved ones, it returns to the hacker and finishes her with Black Hammer.

Loaded Programs: Black Hammer, Blackout, Browse, Spoof, Track

RAW there are no restrictions on what programs IC can run or what actions it can be scripted to take.
i101
This means then that by RAW there are no differences between an Agent and IC, except for the Names.
Have to check if Unwired changed something on this..
Cain
QUOTE (i101 @ Sep 11 2008, 09:29 PM) *
This means then that by RAW there are no differences between an Agent and IC, except for the Names.
Have to check if Unwired changed something on this..

Not that I recall, no. Pretty much, the only difference is that IC tends to stay put, while agents are asked to roam more often.
Ryu
Per Unwired (pg. 70-something), IC are agents designed for security work. That´s why prices and rules are so similar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012