Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Humanis Policlub Information?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nu_Fenix
I've started playing in a strategy game set in Shadowrun, where each player controls an organization, whether a corp, street gang, or policlub.
Each player has varying levels of five kinds of assets, they they use for a variety of actions, which are Strike, Economic, Political, Matrix and Magic. In addition, we have influence in various sections of Seattle, including the local government, the undead, Matrix underground, and so forth.

Now, since I have always been a fan of playing radical organizations and the 'bad guy', so I asked if I could be the infamous Policlub, with my resources focused on Political and Economic, with some Strike and a minimal amount of Matrix and Magic. As in my mind, this kind of policlub uses it's money and influence to get what it wants, but can back up it's actions with force, though that is covered up with appropriate PR.

However, I lack any detailed information about the HP - I knew some people who got me into the game towards the back end of 3e and I started playing once 4e was released, so I lack any of the good books out there. So, whilst I know various details about them, are there any detailed sources I could be pointed to, ideally internet based?
I am currently basing them on White Supremicist organizations, but turning it into pro-Human and preaching how Humanity is being undermined by the metahumans who are stealing our jobs, we were here first, etc.

Also, for the game I am planning to run as mayor of Seattle, similar to how Braddock ran for UCAS Presidency. But, is there any advise you would give on doing this? I mean, I know the moment I try, I will get a giant target on my back, and the other players in the game will quickly come after me. Currently I am looking at either getting them to fight amongst themselves, form deals and offer promises once I am in power, and other back-handed deals.

This is a copy of a post I made, to give you an example of the approach I am currently going for:
During a Trid-cast of one their open meetings, leader Sebastian Runwick gave his opinion on the latest event in the barrens.

Taking a stand at the podium, the crowd applauds his entrance, before going silent as Sebastian Runwick begins his speech.

"This latest batch of gang war in the barren shows how dangerous the world we live in is. These hoodlums are a drain on society, claiming benefits from the city, forcing increased police action, and hawk their illegal and highly dangerous wares on the innocent citizen, whilst those of us who pay our taxes and lead a happy and peaceful life have to pay for everything.
These events are only exasperated by the fact that many of the people down there are unemployed and even homeless, because they lost their jobs to cheap labour. Who would hire one of us here for manual labour, when an illegal citizen will do the work for neglible pay, and can do more strenuous work then most of us here can. And when you look at the people taking these jobs away from us, that they almost always have tusks or horns?
God created Adam and Eve, and in my copy of the Holy Bible, neither of them had green skin, horns and a tail. We cannot let the blasphemous destroy everything that Humanity has created for thousands of years, only to ruin it all in less than a century.
No, I say we stand united, and make them realise that you can't have Humanity without Humans!"
Upon his conclusion, he bows to the audience, leaving off stage, whilst the audience give a standing ovation.
nezumi
Wow, sounds like a fantastic game.

The most I can say is, research the real KKK back around its inception. The real KKK was a genuine political organization more than anything. The number of unfortunate people it directly victimized was nothing compared to the number of elections it carried and people it overwhelmed via non-violent means.

Also worth mentioning, Humanis has an advantage the KKK didn't; there are legitimate racial differences. You don't need to argue that orks are a 'threat to us'. To the contrary, you can argue Humanis is just looking out for orks. Orks have a shorter lifespan and do worse on standardized tests than humans. The expectation that orks should work desk jobs just like humans is silly and wasteful. Rather, orks should be schooled at an early age to pursue occupations which fit their biology; blue-collar labor. This way they get out of school younger, have more of their adult life to enjoy, can get work they'll naturally excel at and avoid stresses that are inappropriate for them. It's downright charitable!
Gast
I never liked the Humanis approach. It all boils down to the genetically inferior scum argument, so there is no need for the much more subtle cultural and economic arguments which were always the main thing to use to get the somewhat moderates on the boat. These arguments wouldn't work either because mutated citizens obviously share the cultural background and the nationalist identity which would have to be different for these arguments. The eugenic arguments will help you only with the rather extreme crowd, and that's normally not good enough for a solid political and economic foundation.

Every time I read that "skin color doesn't matter much anymore" in a Shadowrun sourcebook, I laugh. The internationalisation of the workforce by multinational corporations should be the main fuel source for extremist political organisations right and left of center. I mean, you're a doctor, but you can't get a job with DocWagon because they'll rather employ that South Ossetian guy who works for pennies a day and supply him with an English chip. That's where the potential for large scale conflict is, but that and extremist reactions to that were never a topic in Shadowrun AFAIK.
Naysayer
The thing is, in the Shadowrun world, you will also work for pennies a day or not at all. And it'll be pennies you can only spend at the store your employer runs. And you'll love it because there's stuff inside your water, your ceral and your televison programme that keeps you content.* And you can't get a good job with DocWagon because every time a position "opens up", there's half a dozen orks who will also work for pennies a day, they are just smart enough to hook a DOE up to a probe, can carry a patient out of the LOF with ease and doesn't mind getting shot. Plus, he's big and ugly and scary and probably violent and HAVE YOU SEEN HIS TEETH?!

* Unless you become a shadowrunner of course, in which case you get shot at until you can't dodge, have to do horrible things for horrible people and get paid just enough to pay your rent and stick some more metal in your body that helps you live another day but slowly kills you from the inside.

As to the OP: What nezumi sad. The HP shouldn't be all frothing-at-the-mouth-insane redneck racists. They got those, but they also have an army of very convincing, very intelligent, very scary faces in their ranks. IIRC, one of them recently became governor of Seattle. And he didn't do it on a campaign of firebombing ork-orphanages. Himself.
The ubbergeek
As any other 'casual', 'white man's burden' racists, expect circular logic, specious pseudo-intlectual arguments, twisted sentences, etc...

They are devious. But the worst - they are everyday joes for many of them. Wife, children, steady job, etc. They are 'norms' - and they think it's for the greater good, as said.

The 'ordinary evil'. The cogs.
Gast
Interesting side question: Why should there be any doctors from developed countries left? As you cannot undercut the living cost of countries who are underdeveloped, megacorps should act like locusts and always hire the doctors and scientific minds from these countries first. And as finding a job with a diploma is really improbable if you're from a developed country and thus have a high cost of living, few people would invest. There would always be stipendiate programs for the obviously gifted, and the children of the ultra rich who don't have to care about that kind of money (assuming government funding to universities aet al. has declined or stopped, in accordance with the NWO), but that's it. That should lead to some cycle of human resource crop rotation. Why is that not so?

I decided to open a new thread for this, because it kind of throws off the thread. Didn't find a delete option, sorry
Ol' Scratch
Not everyone cares about being rich and powerful. Just like today, there's lots of doctors and scientists working in third world countries because they want to.
The ubbergeek
Remember Robocop and the OCP? If there is profits to be made with the poorer ones, a niche.. well...
Nu_Fenix
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 15 2008, 05:02 PM) *
Wow, sounds like a fantastic game.

The most I can say is, research the real KKK back around its inception. The real KKK was a genuine political organization more than anything. The number of unfortunate people it directly victimized was nothing compared to the number of elections it carried and people it overwhelmed via non-violent means.

Also worth mentioning, Humanis has an advantage the KKK didn't; there are legitimate racial differences. You don't need to argue that orks are a 'threat to us'. To the contrary, you can argue Humanis is just looking out for orks. Orks have a shorter lifespan and do worse on standardized tests than humans. The expectation that orks should work desk jobs just like humans is silly and wasteful. Rather, orks should be schooled at an early age to pursue occupations which fit their biology; blue-collar labor. This way they get out of school younger, have more of their adult life to enjoy, can get work they'll naturally excel at and avoid stresses that are inappropriate for them. It's downright charitable!

Cheers very much Nezumi. I thought about organizations such as the KKK, but just think of them as shotgun weilding rednecks who like cutting holes in bedsheets and wearing them. I didn't know what they were like originally, so will do some research.

I'm glad this caused a further discussion in other avenues of shadowrun smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012