Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kyle Haeffner and Captain Chaos
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
the_real_elwood
Is there any conclusive evidence on who ordered the kill of President Haeffner? Reading through System Failure, it sounds an awful lot like it was Angela Colloton, but that just seems wrong. Also, what's the deal with Captain Chaos now? Still floating around in the Matrix, or has he been restored?
Vegetaman
From what I understand, he exists as... A shadow in the matrix. Basically a self-contained AI entity (where the AI is just his intelligence in a possible cyber body somewhere; or just exists in the matrix somewhere). [which is probably nothing new for any of you guys, anyway...]

Probably will hear more on this front from FastJack in later sourcebooks? Hopefully?
the_real_elwood
I hope there's more information on what Captain Chaos has been up to as a Matrix ghost in some future releases. It'd be a shame to just let the Cap disappear and be forgotten.

Was there ever any more backstory to the JackBNimble program either? Like where it came from, and what it's doing now?
Vegetaman
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Sep 15 2008, 11:27 PM) *
I hope there's more information on what Captain Chaos has been up to as a Matrix ghost in some future releases. It'd be a shame to just let the Cap disappear and be forgotten.

Was there ever any more backstory to the JackBNimble program either? Like where it came from, and what it's doing now?

Ah yes, that was it - JackBNimble... Apparently, or at least I recall reading somewhere, that it could copy the complete identity of deckers or matrix personas into itself as raw data. It was a result of Dunkelzahn's will, and he even offered to comp Captain Chaos via The Draco Foundation should the program cause him some harm when he tried to break the encryption (even The Big D said he couldn't crack it).

I haven't read the Matrix Crash 2.0 stuff for quite some time, but good on Captain Chaos for being the last man on to go down with the ship. So I'd imagine his mind runs rampant on The Matrix, even if it is only visible as a shadow at best. It's a good story that could use some wrapping up.
NightmareX
JackBNimble deleted the Cap when he regained consciousness - the program considered that a glitch. Captain Chaos is thus gone. RIP
hobgoblin
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 16 2008, 07:59 AM) *
JackBNimble deleted the Cap when he regained consciousness - the program considered that a glitch. Captain Chaos is thus gone. RIP

actually, the text stopped on the [Y/N] option, with no definitive selection being done...

as for ol cap floating around on the trix, the only hint, if one can call it so, that i can think of is fastjack posting about visiting a old friends grave when the topic of e-ghosts come up in unwired.

beyond that i dont think anyone have made any statement in any definitive direction, and i dont expect them to until cap shows up to post in the shadowtalk somewhere...
Vegetaman
Durp, that's right. The program was halted at the point of deleting the flawed file from it's system.
NightmareX
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 16 2008, 01:06 AM) *
actually, the text stopped on the [Y/N] option, with no definitive selection being done...

True - I took that as an "artistic end" fade to black type thing (yes being the implied answer). I could be wrong of course.
raggedhalo
Isn't there a reference to The Captain in Runner Havens that's alleged (by DSF at some point) to be Captain Chaos?

JackBNimble causes e-ghosts, maybe?
hobgoblin
if so, i must have missed both it and the thread...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 16 2008, 09:01 AM) *
True - I took that as an "artistic end" fade to black type thing (yes being the implied answer). I could be wrong of course.

According to LabRat, it's a Cliffhanger, supposed to be open.

You know, so they can decide to declare him gone for good in Game Information, like they did with the three big AIs.
It trolls!
I considered the death of Captain Chaos to be absolute. The paragon of the old Shadowrun Matrix is killed to make it clear that a new age of the matrix has begun. Just as SR4 didn't mean a simple rules upgrade but a completely new system with different paradigms.
The death of the Cap' was an exclamation mark to the death of SR3.
I expect a reference to JackBNimble in future fluff, but I don't expect the Captain to return in any form.

He's gone guys. Let him rest!
Vegetaman
I can't imagine that he's actually "dead", dead. At any rate, it'd be nice if they actually wrapped it up in some manner, or we heard something to that effect.
ThreeGee
I've always assumed JackBNimble created the e-ghosts and that was what he doing at the end of System Failure.

Captain Chaos made the jump over the candlestick...
Daddy's Little Ninja
The paragon of the old Matrix is fastjack and he is still alive. I think the fate of Cap', the old head of the Shadowland hub was left open ended just in case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012