Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feral Cities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TKDNinjaInBlack
Which cities would we be learning about? If I remember correctly, Berlin was a total anarchist pit. I am sure there are some other cities in Asia and Africa that would be up there on the list. We've stuck entirely on the Pacific rim with Seattle, LA, Neo-Tokyo and Hong-Kong, so I was just wondering where the next setting book would take us.
Jaid
iirc, there's been some mention of chicago being one of the feral cities.
Muspellsheimr
I believe it was Chicago & Lagos.
Tiger Eyes
Come to the chat on Saturday. Feral Cities authors will be there. smile.gif
TKDNinjaInBlack
Never been to a chat and I don't know where it'd be at.
the_real_elwood
The sticky post at the top of the forum titled "September Catalyst Game Labs Shadowrun Chat" might give some tips on how to find the chat, should you be interested in attending.
Wesley Street
Peter_Taylor> Backup sprawls include Bogotá (look for fallout of Ghost Cartels), GeMiTo, Karavan (surprise), Geneva (what?) and Sarajevo.

Cross posted from here in case you didn't attend.
The ubbergeek
Brain blank.. What is GeMiTo?
Wounded Ronin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm5DPlNCmtk
hobgoblin
geneva is the most interesting one imo, given that UN is located there in SR...
Tycho
GeMiTo is an Italien Sprawl with contain the former cities Genova, Milano and Torino.

For more details see Shadows of Europe

cya
Tycho
TKDNinjaInBlack
Nope, I was there for the first half. Got to ask more than my fair share of questions too. It was pretty cool getting responses from the developers. Granted, they can't disclose all because that material will be in the books, and let's face it, we're all just impatient and want them now.
Ancient History
<k-chuk> This place crawls, sir... <k-chuk>
psychophipps
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 18 2008, 07:12 PM) *
iirc, there's been some mention of chicago being one of the feral cities.

Makes sense what with the bug thing and a low-end nuke being set off there.

Lots of government money, and an almost exclusive market share, to be had for a Corp who's willing to take the contracts to clean things up. Probably a lot of money for the right 'runner teams as well to move that agenda along with some cajoling or more direct-like leverage.
TW
Keep in mind that Bug City was 17 years ago in game time. Feral Cities will not only cover Chicago's Downtown area / Bug City territory, but also the surrounding Greater Chicago Area / Chicagoland. For the most part, the corporations will have developed 'alternatives' to Chicago as a market or transit point in their supply chains. Corporate presence in Chicago is not what it used to be. 'Cleaning things up', yes, they are, in a way, but on their terms and to their rules. And regional politics might have a say in it, too. devil.gif
TW
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 21 2008, 02:01 PM) *
geneva is the most interesting one imo, given that UN is located there in SR...

yes, sucks to be them in 2071, I would think biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (TW @ Sep 22 2008, 10:33 AM) *
Keep in mind that Bug City was 17 years ago in game time. Feral Cities will not only cover Chicago's Downtown area / Bug City territory, but also the surrounding Greater Chicago Area / Chicagoland. For the most part, the corporations will have developed 'alternatives' to Chicago as a market or transit point in their supply chains. Corporate presence in Chicago is not what it used to be. 'Cleaning things up', yes, they are, in a way, but on their terms and to their rules. And regional politics might have a say in it, too. devil.gif

im getting a OCP vibe here...

leave downtown to rot, build new corp town(s) in the suburbs instead...
psychophipps
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 22 2008, 06:02 AM) *
im getting a OCP vibe here...

leave downtown to rot, build new corp town(s) in the suburbs instead...

A little muscle and deals with the gang-types to dissuade any competition from moving in as the corp slowly moves closer and closer to reclaiming downtown? Yeah, a group of 'runners could have some fun there...
TW
<snicker>
Wesley Street
"Old Chicago has a cancer. And that cancer is crime. Oh, and insect spirits."
Bokrug
Yes,

also don't forget that Chicago is also infected with the Strain III anti magic virus.

Then again the Bugs are also starting to become active again(they developed an immunity to Strain III).

Also:

Geneva: Controlled by a renegade AI. The whole matrix system of Geneva is whacked and dangerous.

Lagos: A densely populated slum. in fact the most dangerous city in Africa and probably the world. Controlled by warlords ala Mogadishu, Somalia. Also some hidden dangers as well.

Karavan: A travelling city in Central Asia.

Saravejo: A warzone.

Bogota: a warzone
hobgoblin
where did those insights come from?

especially covering the bugs and the AI.

pulling a "deep throat", bokrug?
Bokrug
Geneva and the AI comes from a jackpoint from Ghost Cartels as AIs and others hold the Geneva Matrix hostage.

As for the Bugs, its hinted by Catalyst that not all of them were killed and might be on the rise.
Bokrug
Lagos is mentioned briefly in Ghost Cartels as warlord controlled ala Mogadishu and its densely populated slum by the Catalyst writers.

Same with Karavan, Bogota, Sarajevo etc.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Bokrug @ Nov 11 2008, 11:44 PM) *
Lagos is mentioned briefly in Ghost Cartels as warlord controlled ala Mogadishu and its densely populated slum by the Catalyst writers.

They've started a slum/ghetto for the freelancers now? Wow, the things you miss when you stop following for a bit. wink.gif
hobgoblin
ah, ghost cartels. guess i should pay more attention to the setting books these days...

(they are becoming more interesting then the rules, in a serialized fiction kind of way...)
Bokrug
I mean mentioned by teh Catalyst writers... grinbig.gif
TW
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Nov 11 2008, 07:51 PM) *
They've started a slum/ghetto for the freelancers now? Wow, the things you miss when you stop following for a bit. wink.gif

's okay, most of us don't get out much anyway. At least geting one's fix of Freelancer Crack is much easier now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012