Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summoning Fetish
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
I've realized that there isn't any Conjuring fetishes in the BBB?

Would that be unbalanced?

I can see a Fetish heavy mage witha small (summoning fetish) figurine for helping him summoning a Spirit of man.

I was thinking along the line of:

Summoning Fetish: 500Y
Binding Fetish: 500Y
Ol' Scratch
Well, there'd be no really reason not to take one for all five (six if you count Watchers) spirits you can summon. You wind-up with a one-time purchase for a permanent bonus for the cost of one BP/Karma. At least with sorcery you'll need an evergrowing list of them.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 19 2008, 03:02 PM) *
You wind-up with a one-time purchase for a permanent bonus for the cost of one BP/Karma.

I cant find anything unbalancing with it because if you loose a fetish you must replace it since you cannot cast magic without it.

Fetishes are not Foci so there is no bonding cost but the drawback is that your spell will not work without it.

So, loose your Spirit Of Man fetish and you cannot summon/bind/banish them...
Ol' Scratch
How often, exactly, does that really even come up? I think I can count on one finger the number of times my characters have been stripped of all of their equipment. And when that happened, summoning was out of the question anyway courtesy of a magemask.

Even if you do lose one, it's just a matter of going to your talismonger and buying a new one. Or hell, just keeping spares around the house and on your person.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 19 2008, 03:19 PM) *
How often, exactly, does that really even come up?

Depends on the GM. But if someone has a Fetish for each and every spell then I would say that random amounts of them should lost now and then.

Not to mention that there will be times when the character isn't wearing them (bathing, showering etc) or when said caster is hit by a toxic wave that melts all those delicate items...

Even if you do lose one, it's just a matter of going to your talismonger and buying a new one. Or hell, just keeping spares around the house and on your person.

True, but they can be traced by ritual magic...

Then we have the part where you might need to have on specific for your tradition - personally I don't like the fact that one can buy them like so many quik-e-mart or 7-eleven items as they should be specific for your tradition.

A techno mage that have commlinks, guns, electronic devices as fetishes might be a bit confused when he is given a feather and bead armband by the native american eagle shaman talismonger...
Kronk2
I would rule that the character has to make the fetish themselves. They don't have to do the enchanting, but they do have to actually manufacture it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012