Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rules Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Murphy
Here is the situation:

Chop, a female elf (with the amnesia level 1 quality) gets a call from a 'friend' asking if she wants to go see a concert. Confused, she agrees. When the man arrived, the van (maybe 2050 model) arrived with the Terra first logo on it, and she gets in. Inside the van are her date (ork), and 2 others (male troll and female human). The ork is driving and Chop is in the passanger seat--the other two are in back. On the way to the concert (where the other members of the party are already gathering) just inside the barrens (Seattle) she uncovers the plot to kill Nabo (the lead singer) with lots (and lots) of plasic explosives inside of some back packs. See, Nabo had sold out to some corporation and TeraFirst did not like that corporation--they polute a lot.

The Van is driving down the highway at 75kph when all this is 'revealed' to Chop. Using sub-vocal mic she contacts the demolitions expert in the party, but as he is at the concert, he is unable to hear her well enough to guide her thru disarming the explosives (if they are even armed to begin with--Chop does not know). To protect the group (and Nabo--we need info from him), she pulls her knife and stabs the ork driver in the neck (surprise attack and really not able to defend against it at all), kills the ork driver. The two 'others' in back remove their seat belts and start to the front of the van. Chop grabs the steering wheel and pulls hard (she is still wearing her seatbelt), causing it to crash.

Now here is the question: What damage does everyone in the van take and what do they use to resist this damage? What is the damage level that needs to be resisted? For all purposes, treat the van as a GMC bulldog step van.

Matsci
The closest I can see is the paragraph on crashing on page 162. The vehical suffers damage as if it had rammed itself.
kzt
The rules kind of suck here. Damage is based primarily on vehicle size for some crazy reason. Technically everyone takes 16 or 32P (as 75kph seems to be 62.5 meters per turn). Seat belts don't help.

You could use falling damage instead. 75 kph seems to be 2 seconds of acceleration, or ~21 meter fall or 12P.

I'd reduce damage by 50% for seatbelts and airbags. If she drove into a giant pile of sand or the barrels on an expressway I'd reduce it some.
Muspellsheimr
Regardless of how you determine damage, it is resisted with Body + Impact.

I do not have my book at the moment, but I believe there is a section saying passengers must resist the same amount of damage as the vehicle (which is determined by it's Body & Speed). There is no reduction due to seat belts or air bags, so use your discretion; I would suggest either a straight reduction to damage, or bonus dice on their resistance test.

EDIT: And because I am curious, why exactly was Chop invited to go with this TerraFirst group? Are they a former group/team of hers that she has forgotten about? Was she actually directly involved in the explosive plan? If no, then why did they invite her & disclose the plan?
Murphy
We don't know at this point why she was invited and what the real reason for the trip. We do know that when the explosive expert looked at the backpacks, it was fake explosives. We can only assume (and yes, I do know what assume means) that TerraFirst had an plan. We were unable to properly communicate with Chop as she was in the car (using a sub-vocal mic) and we were at the concert (other troll trash bands were playing VERY loudly). The plan was to go in seperately as we all had fake/scalped tickets so at least one of us was inside if security caught any of the others and kept them from entering. It was not known when she was invited to the concert that her "friend" was of TerraFirst and she is also trying to figure out her past. Her skills did not give her much info (no knowlege skill at all about terrorist orginizations) on TerraFirst, she assumed (again, that very bad word) they were like (real life modern day) PETA....Some good guys who really care and others not so good.

Jaid
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Sep 22 2008, 01:57 AM) *
EDIT: And because I am curious, why exactly was Chop invited to go with this TerraFirst group? Are they a former group/team of hers that she has forgotten about? Was she actually directly involved in the explosive plan? If no, then why did they invite her & disclose the plan?

that would be the amnesia quality kicking in i assume.
Murphy
Yes, and also, I forgot to mention....We are not even sure it is TerraFirst. It is easy enough to paint TF on the side of a van. It could be anyone. I hate when my running mates have negative qualities that may get me killed. I swear none of my negative qualities will get them killed (my fingers are behind my back, crossed).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012