Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob questions about essense loss
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Joker9125
I have a quick question i know that implants for riggers and deckers would by nature take more essense than say bone lacing or replacing an arm because it affects your brain and how u think but in my opinion it takes way to much essense. say you have a character with a rigger implant X that takes away 4 essence then you have him slap on leg augmentation X that does 2 essence. By the rules the character would have a -1 essence and therefore be dead. But he would still have almost half (40%) of his body still intact. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit flawed?
toturi
No, the essense rules are quite good actually.

A Rigger isn't supposed to go out and tank, so why get leg augmentation?
Luke Hardison
Actually, 4 + 2 = 6, that's 0 essence. He's still dead, but not at negative essence.

The VCR actually has to go throughout the entire CNS, and possible some of the PNS, so it's completely logical that it would take up a massive amount of essence. Also, there's no VCR that takes 4 essence .... the stages are 2, 3, and 5 respectively.
Joker9125
I was just pulling numbers out of the air to make an example. But you get the idea. I guess my question is is essence loss determined by the type of body tissue lost like nerves having more essence loss than muscles. And what about cloned body parts can u clone a bodypart to regain the essence?
Luke Hardison
Yes, more sensitive body part replacement or interface cause more drastic essence loss. Bone lacing, for example, or dermal plating have relatively low essence costs, considering they transverse the whole body. But they're interacting with relatively non-vital parts of the body (I know the skeleton is vital, but in the sense that the individual bones are not vital)
Fortune
QUOTE (Joker9125)
And what about cloned body parts can u clone a bodypart to regain the essence?

There is no canon way to regain lost Essence.
Ancient History
Although you could, theoretically, lose a limb and not lose any essence if no prosthesis is put in to replace it.

That is highly theoretical though: you'd essentially have to have some horrible accident (the troll with the Panzer just blew my arm off at the shoulder!), which would likely be Deadly damage, then check for Essence loss and succeed.

SO long as you don't get a cyberlimb or prosthetic installed, you can scrimp up enough nuyen to get an arm cloned...or buy a used one...or hop into a gene tank and grow it back. Would be a rather large ritual sample to leave behind, though.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Although you could, theoretically, lose a limb and not lose any essence if no prosthesis is put in to replace it.

Yep, just don't get a Peg Leg in the mean time. biggrin.gif
spotlite
As I understand it, Essence is a measure of your aural template's condition. The more your body deviates from your aura/spirit or whatever, the worse things are for you health wise. this explains why extremely pervasive neural cyberware is so bad for you despite most of your body being intact - your neural tissue is your mind, the bit that makes you you, the bit that generates all the emotions that can be seen when you assense someone. This theory - and it is an In Character theory from the various sourcebook fiction and shadowtalk postings, not canon game info - also explains why cyberware which replaces large chunks of your body affects it so badly as well: the body itself, not the mind, is now differing vastly from the aural template. If the mind and body are equally important, heavily augmenting either one can kill you. Augmenting both therefore becomes very expensive, essence-wise.

Also, I don't think the Essence reating in game is really supposed to be something which is measure-able. Its the sort of thing that can be guessed at in terms of general holistic well being, by assensing or proper medical testing, but not so characters would speak in character about it. 'I need his Heart rate, his medical files, and his essence rating before I operate, nurse!'. No.

However, its an IN GAME justification and not an out of gamemechanic, so you can treat it how you like. But yes, rigger ware is expensive - it replaces or squeezes in with half the hind brain and connects directly to your nervous system!
kenji
ok, then. why do cyberlimbs cost so damn much essence for essentially no benefit? has anyone ever played a character with a full cyber limb at creation? (not in any group i've been in.)

and you would think that EYES would cost a lot, as well, by the neural-connection reasoning. the optic nerve is a quick-scarring, complex little bitch.
Cray74
QUOTE (Joker9125 @ Dec 25 2003, 04:42 AM)
I was just pulling numbers out of the air to make an example.  But you get the idea.  I guess my question is is essence loss determined by the type of body tissue lost like nerves having more essence loss than muscles.  And what about cloned body parts can u clone a bodypart to regain the essence?

You never regain lost essence.

Essence loss basically reflects how drastically you alter your body's original plan or (to use Earthdawn terminology) "pattern." To get a bit religious, think of it this way: God laid out a plan for your body, from the shape of the bones to how the whole body actually works. And once you damage that plan, there's no repairing it.

The more you alter that function, the more you suffer essence loss. For example, sticking a few microscopically thin wires into your nerves and some postage stamp-sized microchips in your head for vastly improved reaction time (i.e., wired reflexes) causes heavy essence loss. In comparison, replacing a limb with a cybernetic limb isn't such a drastic change, and essence loss is lower.

But.

If you get an improved model of cyberlimb (one that's the same size, shape, and weight as the first one I talked about) with more powerful motors (strength augmentation), faster reacting motors (quickness augmentation), and a hardened shell (implanted armor), you loose more essence.

Funny, isn't it? You're not replacing any extra muscle or anything than the basic cyberlimb, but the upgraded cyberlimb costs more essence. It's a more drastic alteration of your body's original plan, or template, or pattern.

ok, then. why do cyberlimbs cost so damn much essence for essentially no benefit?

They're a drastic alteration of the body's "aural template," or (for ED players) its "pattern." Blood magic items had similar effects.
nezumi
I think a lot of people agreed in a previous thread somewhere that cyberlimbs do cost way too much, and I agree. I've gone ahead in my book and added a post it to change the costs (I think to 1/2 price, 3/4 essence loss).
Tanka
I think the pricing or a cyberlimb is near to perfect. Ever notice how much you can fit in there? Cyberguns, SLII at reduced Essence, extra Strength/Quickness/Armor and all other kinds of goodies.

You have to look at it as what all you can do with it, not why it costs so much for just a simple one.
Cray74
QUOTE (tanka)
I think the pricing or a cyberlimb is near to perfect. Ever notice how much you can fit in there? Cyberguns, SLII at reduced Essence, extra Strength/Quickness/Armor and all other kinds of goodies.

Most of which cost an unreasonable fortune, unless you want to pay horrendous amounts of essence.

I can beat most of the strength and quickness of cyberlimbs with muscle aug and toner - with that bioware, I don't need to lop off four limbs to get whole-body strength and quickness enhancements. The armor enhancements of limbs are hardly worthwhile unless, again, you get all your limbs replaced; your GM has LoneStar ignore walking tanks; and a few points of limb armor will really make a difference against your usual opponents.

As for the "benefits" of stuffing goodies in there, I'm not certain that's terribly worthwhile. Cyberlimbs (unless they're synthetic, delta-grade limbs) are a quick way to get "concealed" weapons and illegal cyberdecks found.

Halving the price of limbs begins to make them worthwhile.
BitBasher
That is highly theoretical though: you'd essentially have to have some horrible accident (the troll with the Panzer just blew my arm off at the shoulder!), which would likely be Deadly damage, then check for Essence loss and succeed.
Just a point since I rarely see AH get something wrong. There is NO canon roll for essence loss from a deadly wound. There is a roll for magic loss, cyberware damage, and permanent wound effects, but no way to lose essence.
Cain
QUOTE (kenji)
ok, then. why do cyberlimbs cost so damn much essence for essentially no benefit? has anyone ever played a character with a full cyber limb at creation? (not in any group i've been in.)

*holds up hand*

I had a street sam with two cyberlimbs, an arm and a leg. This was 2nd Ed, so the ECU rules weren't out yet; we were using the 4x cost from the base book. He crammed all kinds of gear into those cyberlimbs; he had a netgun in his arm, a monowhip in his middle finger, and a DNI medkit in his leg. It was tremendously effective. Even with the M&M rules, you can still cram an awful lot of stuff into a cyberlimb-- for cheap, if you know what you're doing.

We were using a house rule, where the base strength/quickness was set to your natural level, and the costs for bonus str/quick allowed you to go above your natural stat. But that's another topic.
Ancient History
Gah, Bitbasher is right...don't know what I was thinking.
Zazen
QUOTE (Cain)
a monowhip in his middle finger

Now that's making a statement smile.gif
Fresno Bob
Why the hell does a peg leg take away essence? Its a freakin' stick!
Kagetenshi
A peg leg doesn't, but a cyberpegleg does.
The difference?
I have absolutely no clue.

~J
Fresno Bob
I can see why a hook hand would have small essence loss, because you control the hook's bendiness, but a peg leg? What were the devs smoking? My vote is some kind of marijuana...
Modesitt
Alternatively, if you think all the spiritual mumbo-jumbo doesn't make sense, you can just say that it's a pure game balance mechanic. That ALWAYS makes sense.
Homme-qui-rigole
QUOTE (Cray74)
Essence loss basically reflects how drastically you alter your body's original plan or (to use Earthdawn terminology) "pattern." To get a bit religious, think of it this way: God laid out a plan for your body, from the shape of the bones to how the whole body actually works. And once you damage that plan, there's no repairing it.

The more you alter that function, the more you suffer essence loss. For example, sticking a few microscopically thin wires into your nerves and some postage stamp-sized microchips in your head for vastly improved reaction time (i.e., wired reflexes) causes heavy essence loss. In comparison, replacing a limb with a cybernetic limb isn't such a drastic change, and essence loss is lower.

Ok... Then what is the deal with bioware? Some Bio altern the body as much as cyberware... So, why they don't reduce Essence?
Kagetenshi
*Takes a hit, exhales slowly*
'Cause it's natural, man.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole)
QUOTE (Cray74)

Ok... Then what is the deal with bioware? Some Bio altern the body as much as cyberware... So, why they don't reduce Essence?

Because your body is being replaced by living tissue, not machine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012