Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technical writing for Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jimson
After reading through Augmentation and Unwired, I must say I’m very impressed with the technical writing. The same goes with the BBB. In Augmentation it describe the wares and their effects as though someone knows Anatomy. As for Unwired, it is much the same, but with hardware and software.

I do not know much about either of these areas, so I’m curious if any of it is close to the truth. Does Catalyst have writers who know Anatomy and technology? I love how everything is describe in detail, and doesn’t just say, “This gives you x amount of a boost to y.�

For example, in the BBB (p. 339) “Toxin Extractor: A specially cultivated cluster of cells implanted into the liver improves the efficiency and expands the spectrum of catabolic activity (the breakdown of complex substances). The toxin extractor adds its rating as a dice pool modifier to toxin resistance tests�
Adam
When possible, we try to use authors who have real-life experience in the fields they're talking about. And, of course, everyone is encouraged to properly research their material, and there's several rounds of peer review.
Rotbart van Dainig
Of course, most of the bioware dates back in function and description to Shadowtech, released for SR1.
Method
SR has always carried the burden of having to explain how things work. When you superimpose a fictional reality on the real world you can't just ignore real world science. All the authors over the years have done a good job explaining things for the most part, though I will say the current "generation" really has done their homework. There are a few places where the science breaks down, but you need to be very familiar with certain concepts to pick out those exceptions.
Jimson
Thanks for the information. I was always curious about that. And with that being said, I would like to applaud all the writers for Shadowrun and all your hard work. I, for one, enjoy the realness of the setting.

Great job!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012