Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A successor to the C.L.U.E. Files
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jürgen Hubert
Many people here are probably familiar with the C.L.U.E. Files, a repository of tales about shadowrunners behaving in very, very dumb ways and a must-read for all fans for the game. Unfortunately, the site has long ceased to exist and is only available via Internet archives - and the last entry dates back to 2003.

I pondered this two days ago when I stumbled across them again. Then I had my usual idea: Why not create a wiki that could serve as a repository for such stories to share with other gamers? And here it is:

The War Stories Wiki

I've decided to broaden its scope and not limit it to Shadowrun, but it does have its own page for Shadowrun war stories. So far, the page is empty.

Who wants to be first in filling it up? wink.gif
Chrysalis
I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

Sonya (a character I play) would fit right in.
Jürgen Hubert
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Oct 9 2008, 11:38 AM) *
I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

Sonya (a character I play) would fit right in.

They are timeless classics for a reason.

But I am sure that new stories have arisen in the last five years...
Ravor
Unless I just had a clueless moment myself and missed it, a single page with links to all of your stories would make browsing them much easier, at least for me. silly.gif
Wounded Ronin
There was a guy Stumps earlier who tried to do something similar, but he appears to have disappeared from the internet entirely. It is very sad. He has probably been eaten by a grue.
Fortune
Stumps hangs out at Underworld93.
Wounded Ronin
ZOMG member restricted access! It's too hardcore cyberpunk for me!
Fortune
And you call yourself a shadowrunner. Hack in! biggrin.gif
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 9 2008, 08:29 PM) *
And you call yourself a shadowrunner. Hack in! biggrin.gif

well, my team and I gave it our best shot but since our hacker is busy working over time at his day job we came up a little short. We drew straws to see who would make the attempt and Ziggy, our gunbunny won. She tried random user names and passwords for about 2 minutes and then shot the monitor full of holes with her CMDT.

we replaced the monitor and gave our shaman,Mike-Sacred -Herb a turn at it. He fired up his peace pipe and is either checking out things in the astral or has passed out. Its hard to tell which at the moment.

its my turn now I'm the team rigger. I think I may just have to set up a Yahoo acct as a dead drop, and register under an fake SIN. not sure if it will work as they mentoned something about some sort of verification thingy but I'll fill you in if the ICE doesn't fry my commlink.

Run Hard. Run Fast. Run Silent,Omae

Tick_Tock, Rigger Extraordinaire
wobble.gif wobble.gif
Cain
I added my story without registering. Might have screwed up a few things, but I think I got it to work.
Jürgen Hubert
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 9 2008, 11:06 PM) *
Unless I just had a clueless moment myself and missed it, a single page with links to all of your stories would make browsing them much easier, at least for me. silly.gif

While this would work well in the beginning, I hope that the wiki will eventually grow fairly large - and once there are a hundred or more stories in there, it would make more sense to me if you can browse them via the systems or settings pages. For example, if you are interested in Shadowrun stories only, you can go to the Shadowrun page.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 10 2008, 01:16 AM) *
ZOMG member restricted access! It's too hardcore cyberpunk for me!

I set permissions so that it should be possible to add new pages anonymously. And I'm fairly certain that it works, since others have already done that.

QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 10 2008, 04:48 AM) *
I added my story without registering. Might have screwed up a few things, but I think I got it to work.

What you did was actually change the template for new entries. The process for creating new entries is supposed to go like this:

1. Go to the category where you want to create your entry (such as the Shadowrun page).

2. Edit that page and create an internal link with the name of your story (in triple square brackets).

3. Save the page and click on the link.

4. Choose the "War Stories" template from the template menu.

5. Enter your story and save it.

6. Profit.

I guess I should write up a full "how to" page tomorrow. In the meantime, I've renamed your story Multitasking Failure. If you can think of a better name, I can change it.
Cain
What you did was actually change the template for new entries.

Oops, I'm sorry. I was kinda afraid of that, though.

Could you specify somewhere that this was a SR3 story, though?
Jürgen Hubert
QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 10 2008, 04:13 AM) *
Could you specify somewhere that this was a SR3 story, though?

Done.
Matsci
Step Six! Profit!
Jürgen Hubert
I've added a page which explains the process in greater detail. Please tell me if anything is still unclear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012