Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me create a party of pre-made characters!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SpasticTeapot
Edit: added question.

I'm running a game of Shadowrun for the school gaming club. After a total of five hours of mass confusion which was not helped by having one book for six people, I've given up on having the players create their own characters.

However, as a largely inexperienced GM, I'm not sure what I should give the PCs in the way of abilities, gear, contacts, et cetera. (I'm currently cramming the altogether badly written matrix rules into my puny mind.), or even whether I should make them "standard" PCs or stick to a lower-power setting. As such, I beseech the Dumpshock community to help me create a party of PCs. The players have a few ideas, but feel free to completely ignore them at your lesiure.

-Hermetic combat mage.
-An elfStreet samurai. (Should've mentioned the elf part earlier - player preference.)
-Fire-support adept gunbunny.
-A drone rigger with strong build/repair skills
-A pixie. (You read that right...sadly.)
-A technomancer

Remember - balanced, not broken.

Thanks!
ElFenrir
I'll do the sam. I love sams.

Do we need names, etc? Like, FULL characters with a paragraph or two of background?

I'll take a bit to crunch it out. 400 BP, normal RAW?
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Oct 9 2008, 01:58 PM) *
I'll do the sam. I love sams.

Do we need names, etc? Like, FULL characters with a paragraph or two of background?

I'll take a bit to crunch it out. 400 BP, normal RAW?

I'm not sure what normal RAW is, but the character build is the standard 400BP.

Some of the players are either very lazy or very new to roleplaying - a full background would be fun.

Remember, for my sake, to please not make them too overpowered.

Thanks!
ElFenrir
I'll go easy. I'll post one up for ya in a few, and if you want me to take anything back(or add anything), it's cool.

Are we using Augmentation, Arsenal, etc?
DrZaius
Rocks

Metatype : Troll
Mundane

Attributes
Body: 10 (14)
Agility: 3 (5)
Reaction: 2 (4)
Strength: 9 (11)
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 1
Logic: 1
Willpower: 3

Edge: 3
Initiative: 5
Essence: 0.9

Knowledge Skills
English : N
Sports (Urban Brawl) : 2
Gangs (Gang Identification) : 1
Bars : 2

Active Skills
Climbing : 3
Gymnastics : 3
Running : 3
Swimming : 3
Automatics : 2
Longarms : 2
Pistols : 2
Unarmed Combat (Martial Arts) : 4
Dodge : 3
Etiquette (Street Gang) : 1
Intimidation (Physical) : 1
Survival (Urban) : 1
Perception : 1
Inflitration : 1
Shadowing : 1

Cyberwares
Wired Reflexes (Rating 2)
Dermal Plating (Rating 2)

Biowares
Bone Density 4
Muscle Augmentation 2
Muscle Toner 2
Platelet Factories

Weapons
Ruger Super Warhawk
Laser Sight
6x Regular Ammo (10 shots)
2x Speed Loader
AK-97
Laser Sight
Shock Pad
Gas-Vent 3 System
19x Regular Ammo (10 shots)
Stoner Ares M202
Gas-Vent 3 System
Shock Pad
Gyro Stabilization
20x Regular Ammo (10 shots)
10x Tracer (10 shots)
Survival Knife

Armors
Clothing (Cheap)
Armor Jacket
Helmet (Regular)

Vehicles
Harley Scorpion (Chopper)

Commlinks
Commlink : Meta Link
Subvocal Microphone

Equipments
Earbud
Fake Sin (Rating 4)
Standard Rope (per 100 m)
Trauma Patch
Medkit (Rating 6)

Contacts
Fixer "Bossman" (L:2 C:4)
Bartender "Friend?" (L:3 C:1)

Contacts
Street Doc "Sawbones" (L:3 C:1)
Local Gang Leader "Tiny" (L:2 C:2)

Made this guy a while ago; just a standard trog; dumb as a post, but can get hit with a train and be fine. Not sure if you need a troll, but this one would probably be considered "low-powered", given what I've seen these boards produce nyahnyah.gif Might want to get rid of the machine gun and gyro-mount if you don't want him to knock down a city block though.

-DrZaius
Stahlseele
RAW is RULES AS WRITTEN
if you wanna start lower, just take alook at the mundane thread, good enough for a quick game of low life punks with no magic, cyber or bio
sunnyside
A pixie. You have a female in your group? And is this an Earthdawn thing, or have you not even heard of earthdawn.

Also as general advice for a new GM you might want to start out someplace like the Barrens of Seattle where they can mess up a bit without you having to call the metroplex guard on their heads.

Also for everyone. Try and make the characters able to do a range of things. In my games I require at a minimum that everyone have decent stealth and some skill/contact network they can use for legwork/recon/something like that. If you have retarded characters who can only shoot things you'll generally cause the players to also be retarded.

Also do yourself a serious favor and stick to the core book for now. For a first new purchase I suggest street magic because the more elaborate rules they have for wards and the rules for background count are just rules that should be in use in a game.

SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Oct 9 2008, 02:16 PM) *
A pixie. You have a female in your group?

How'd you guess?

It was either that or a vampire. ohplease.gif
DireRadiant
Shadowrun Missions

Stick to the 400 BP to start.

And I really recommend the templates for a first session, with the understanding when everyone is familiar with the rules they can make new characters or adjust later.

And, in case of books... FREE Quick Start Rules FREE .. Includes Food Fight!
ElFenrir
Ok, I'm going to put in the one elf I did in the other thread for mundane, only if he had cyber. Since most of his background was already made, Ill be a little lazy there. nyahnyah.gif Here is the Street Samurai. I copied the background and changed a few little things.

[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: I already used the Arsenal MA rules, but if you don't want them in there, I can change it.

Whew! Well, he does quite a few things, and I don't *think* he's uber-overpowered. He does have healthy die pools, but he's a combat bunny, and they can run a little decent. I think he turned out pretty well, all told. He only has one well-connected and decently loyal contact, however, but at least he has the bartender as well. He has stealth, combat, social skills, and doesn't seem like a one-trick pony.

His Athletics Group looks low, but with his high Body and Strength(and Reaction for Gymnastics Dodge), and the Synthacardium, he does plenty well here(11 dice for Agility/Str athletics and a base 9 for reaction+ athletics.)

Hope you like him! He ended up changing a bit background-wise from the version I posted in the other thread, but I think he works well like this.
Wasabi
I'd suggest soliciting these forums for someone who can share some 'canned modules' from Gencon and Dragoncon. The better written ones include backgrounds and character tie-ins along with a module that will utilize their abilities.

I'd also consider sticking strictly to RAW. Unlike most other RPG's SR has a pretty solid base ruleset and doesn't require optional rules to work. Most (if not all) GM's tweak things for their style and group but until you have a solid vision of the game world and rules mechanics in the canon books I'd stick to RAW.
ElFenrir
Well, stuff like Arsenal and Augmentation give some nice little options. Well, they are official books, at least. We always pick up the new books as they come out, but, well, that's us. smile.gif

EDIT: I did a version of my guy for you just incase you don't use the optional rules, too.

[ Spoiler ]

This version has a couple more skills higher due to no maneuvers, and since Ceramic Bone lacing is on Augmentation, I gave him Aluminum. The changes overall gave him extra nuyen, which I converted to a couple BP to specialize his ground craft. Not too much different, but the above one has a few more cool options, like the martial arts. Background is the same, though. Keep the lost loved one in there. biggrin.gif
sunnyside
Oh. And I just looked through the full list. Are you sure about the technomancer? It makes for a lot more rules and a lot more judgement calls on your part. Plus a lot more rolls. The character will also be BP starved and have other issues.

In short I consider the TM to be more of an "advanced" option. Which is annoying because the fluff likes to sell them as a bit more carefree.

I'd suggest a hacker. Soooo much easier on you and them. Especially since if you balance the skills and programs (pretty standard) you have a situation where you know that if they want to do anything relating to hacking or the matrix they roll, say, 11 dice, no matter what it is.

I could do a hacker for you if you'd like. Just let me know any other preferences you might have for them (male/female etc etc) I could also throw in some "making the matrix easy" advice.

Wasabi
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Oct 9 2008, 04:23 PM) *
...if they want to do anything relating to hacking or the matrix they roll, say, 11 dice, no matter what it is.

This really is a fantastic suggestion. TM's rely on Sprites so they play like a pet class to use an MMO term. A hacker is much better for newer players.
Cain
This should help: Sample Character Archive.

They're loosely based on the book archetypes, but have been better-optimized and tend to be actually good at what they do.
ElFenrir
-An elf Street samurai. (Should've mentioned the elf part earlier - player preference.)

Heh, I just saw that after I posted the characters. I had made him an Elf already. I'm a mind-reader, what can I say. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012