Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Perception
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
If you use astral perception, to get more informations about auras or astral beings you need to assense. So far I have no questions. But if it is only about knowing if something is there at all (hiding mage, spirit etc) , shouldn´t you make an usual perception test instead of an assensing test?
BlacKat
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Oct 10 2008, 05:29 PM) *
If you use astral perception, to get more informations about auras or astral beings you need to assense. So far I have no questions. But if it is only about knowing if something is there at all (hiding mage, spirit etc) , shouldn´t you make an usual perception test instead of an assensing test?

In my games, if using Astral Perception, you use perception to notice that something is there and Assensing to find out if it cybered, mage initiate grades, etc, per the assenssing table. But just to notice something is there on the Astral Plane, just perception.

Blackat
Cain
I use Assensing as the astral equivalent of Perception.
FlashbackJon
On the contrary I always assumed, given the nature of the astral, that most things (people, spells, etc.) were so glaringly obvious against the backdown that (most of the time) no perception was necessary, and that Assensing was for divining more information.
Tarantula
Assensing is the skill to notice things around you, as well as to study them in detail.

Much like you use perception to notice the guy sneaking up on you, and can then observe in detail him as an action to see if you can spot any weapons on him.
Ravor
I agree with Cain and Tarantula on this one.
Wasabi
Ditto, although I handwave the presence of things.

EG...

GM: "You see an astral form in front of you."
Runner: What is it?
GM: Roll Assensing...
Tarantula
Same as normal view. "You open the door, theres a shadowy figure in the room." "What is it?" "Roll perception."

In fact, assensing even has on the table what you have to roll to tell what the aura is (spell, spirit, etc).
Machiavelli
According to the skill description, assensing is only to learn "informations from auras". While Perception is used to "notice things around the character". So I think Wasabi´s solution seems compliant to the rules.
Tarantula
SR4, 182, "Like physical perception, a character using astral perception should not need to make a test to see things that are immediately obvious (and since astral forms are bright and vibrant, this means that most astral forms are easily noticed). An actual test should only be called for when an astral being is specifically trying to hide, or when a character is trying to astrally observe in detail; in both these situations, an Assensing Test is made."
Machiavelli
Aaaaaaah...that is the magic phrase I was looking for. Thanks Omae.
Tarantula
Np... now I'm wondering when toturi and I have a showdown for the book-ninja title.
Machiavelli
Whoever wins....dead may come quickly to the chosen one, young padawan.^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012