Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a Mouse
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CrystalBlue
I made one of my favorite characters a month ago to play in a friend's game. He's a changling technomancer that has most of his points in rigging skills. Now, at the time, I wasn't told what I could and couldn't do, and I went with the Karma buy system. 750 points. Nothing too major, though. My best stat is Logic, at a 6. Everything else is kinda weak, such at the physical stats, and my charisma's even only a 4. The best skills I have are in Electronic Warefare and Auto Mechanic.

But the real power he has comes from his custom-made drones. Now, at character gen, I asked if I could have these. I showed them to the storyteller and he OKed them. Hell, I only had assault rifles on the roto-drones. They had a whole 4 or 5 dice to roll as I didn't buy higher Targeting autosofts. I had to jump into them to do anything, and they were still low, only 7 dice. So when my friend talks to me and tells me he thinks I'm overpowered...I get concerned.

I just did what I thought I was supposed to do with my drones. I have 6 in total, plus the semi tractor I use as my personal forward base. Everything's tricked out with surveillance. I've even got barometers and weather reading devices on these things. I could host my own weather and news channel right from the tractor. And it's not even this that he's worried about. I was taking 5 thing's worth of turns in the last encounter we had. 2 for my roto-drones, 2 for the ferret drones we have, and one for myself. And he got pissed.

So...what am I doing wrong? I mean, half of the time, the roto-drones were just keeping an eye on things around them, using defense on party members, while the ferrets hid and made sure we had intel on the street we were on. This is a rigger's job, and I'm not even min-maxed. I'm not too powerful in any skill. Help?

CODE
Mouse 22
A:4, B:2, R:4, S:2
C:4, I:6, L:6, W:5
Resonence: 6
Aeronautics Mechanic: 2
Auto Mechanic: 2
Compiling: 3
Computer: 4
Cybercombat: 2
Data Search: 2
Decompling: 2
Electronic Warefare: 5
Hacking: 3
Hardware: 5
Heavy weapons: 3
Industrial Mechanic: 1
Pilot Aircraft: 2
Pilot Anthroform: 4
Pilot Exotic Vehical: 1
Pilot Groundcraft: 3
Registering: 2
Software: 2
Tarantula
Sounds like you thought you were in all of the drones at once.

I'd review how rigging works, you have a few options for controlling drones.
1. Give a drone (or a group of drones) one order (takes a simple action) and their pilot program carries it out.
2. Use a command program like a remote control, and take direct control over the drone by telling it how to move.
3. Jump into one drone and control it as if you were the drone.

These are mutually exclusive things. You can't give a drone an order, then jump into it and expect it to carry out.

As far as char-gen goes... you can only start with 1 stat at your max. Logic or intelligence, not both. Other than that, looks fine.
CrystalBlue
Forgot to mention that I have Increased Metagenetic Quality through the changling, which is why I have both at 6. Sowwy.

And I wasn't doing that. I have given them orders to carry out. I've read that they each get their own initiative, so I was having them carry out their orders on that initiative. So I wasn't acting as them until I jumped in, at which time they come under my initiative and then I act for them.
Tarantula
Correct. Sounds like maybe you were having them act exactly how you wanted to. While SR4 recommends having a pilot + response test for when they have to make a decision on their own. (SR4, 214).
Wasabi
Build-wise its not an uber powerful technomancer. The Cybercombat of 2 means you have a strong vulnerability to getting beat up in the matrix and the lack of infiltrate or social skills means whenever you can't get a wireless signal (antiwireless paint, anyone?) then you're gonna have to seriously put yourself in harms way.

While its really just a perception roll to monitor the feeds from the drones (at GM-determined penalties) I suspect your GM may have an expectation of how you play your character to fit HIS idea of a hacker/TM.

I'd have a heart-to-heart with your GM and ask him how he'd envisions a TM handling those situations. In my experience TM's with a fleet of surveillance drones is pretty normal.
Matsci
You have registering at 2 and compiling at 3, which means that your aren't using sprites that often, and therefore are underpowered as a technomancer.
Wasabi
With Registering at 2 and Resonance 6 he can use rating 3 sprites all day so not gimp, just not as powerful as the average tweaked TM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012