Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to do this ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
d1ng0d0g
'Spider' sat back in his seat in the van looking at his beautiful companion one last time and then he closed his eyes. His team-mates waited while he would enter the facility security cameras and would guide them in, being their eyes, and their ears.

Their image-links sprang to life showing them the images from the outside cameras, and as they walked towards the building a trip-wire on the other side of the building gave an alert and guards moved there to check it out. While the guards inside saw nothing different.

Once they approached the door, it opened, and inside the van entered 'Spider's' expression. Using the buildings own internal sensors and the special RFID tags to which he only knew the frequency, he quickly pulled up the map and send them through the corridors towards the laboratory where their package awaited extraction.

A quick warning as one of the guards approached and his team withdrew into a side door, which opened to just a blink from 'Spider's' tricks.

So, what would 'Spider', a Technomancer do and need to pull of these tricks, assuming that the security of the building is fairly low, all devices are interconnected, and there is a security hacker on call, as well as guards monitoring the camera feed.
Wasabi
Your scenario is entirely possible although corp security might design it in such a way as to make it impossible.

How broad or specific of a reply are you wanting? If you are really comfortable with the hacking concepts and mechanics the answer can be a lot more detailed than explaining to someone first learning the matrix.
d1ng0d0g
I am fairly familiar with all the concepts, however, as I have not played one myself I am not too certain how this all meshes together. So a broad example would be nice.
Wasabi
1. Scan for node
2. If you dont find the node you think is the right one, wire into the network through a keypad or use a microtapper drone on their fiberoptic lines or somesuch
3. Thread Stealth
4. Exploit in
5. Use Matrix perception [program: Analyze] to identify subscribed devices and to see what any agents/IC are doing
6. Spoof commands to agents to get them to do things for you and command devices to do things
7. React to everything going wrong and all hell breaking loose smile.gif

I think thats really broad. The way TM's are so superior to hackers in this is that they can have Sprites in their head [the node in their head, that is**] buffing a second copy of their avatar (multiple node access is in the BBB) and get a massive stealth rating virtually making non-TM's unable to see them unless attacked.

-

**In the node in the TM's head so they don't give away the TM's presence in the node he's intruding into.
d1ng0d0g
'Spider' sat back in his seat in the van looking at his beautiful companion one last time and then he closed his eyes. His team-mates waited while he would enter the facility security cameras and would guide them in, being their eyes, and their ears.

Their image-links sprang to life showing them the images from the outside cameras, and as they walked towards the building a trip-wire on the other side of the building gave an alert and guards moved there to check it out. While the guards inside saw nothing different.

Once they approached the door, it opened, and inside the van entered 'Spider's' expression. Using the buildings own internal sensors and the special RFID tags to which he only knew the frequency, he quickly pulled up the map and send them through the corridors towards the laboratory where their package awaited extraction.

A quick warning as one of the guards approached and his team withdrew into a side door, which opened to just a blink from 'Spider's' tricks.

Okay, lemme see if I have this right in an extended format, because I doubt I have it right.

Scan for the Node (Electronic Warfare + Scan), enter the system (Hacking + Stealth, Hacking + Exploit).

But that's just the first sentence in a way.

How to make my team-mates see in AR what the cameras can see. Tripping an alarm from the seperate system that is likely a spoof command, though I'd likely have to Spoof the command for that one as well as contend with IC there.

And here comes the tricky one. How to use that RFID tag thing, to position the team in the building, without the security actually picking up their tags.

Now, the door opening is likely a spoofing again.

But these aren't all on the same node, so I'd likely sit in each of them with Stealth on.

I'd like someone to finish this.
Ryu
'Spider' sat back in his seat in the van looking at his beautiful companion one last time and then he closed his eyes. His team-mates waited while he would enter the facility security cameras and would guide them in, being their eyes, and their ears. One of the outer cameras would be his first victim.
A bit of concentration send a being of data and mischief at the task of finding the cameras node (Compile Infiltrator sprite, Res+Compile vs. Infiltrator rating; Give Order to sprite; Sprite WiFi-Scan + Sprite EW vs. threshold of 4). A new node popped up in his field of vision.
Now he needed himself some comfortable access to the system. A short look at the camera told him that there was no imminent danger on that node (Matrix Perception; Computer + Analyse). If he had to run on those slow-as-molasses-nodes, he could at least help himself to admin. The tension of hacking a node brought up his concentration even more (Thread stealth; Hacking on the fly: Hacking + Exploit vs. a threshold of likely 9 or 10). To his extreme pleasure, he found he had hacked the camera cluster of the facility. He could now send camera data to his team-mates (Node is subscribed, Data Transfer action to initiate transfer, free action to end it (can be used on both sides).

Their image-links sprang to life showing them the images from the outside cameras, and as they walked towards the building a trip-wire on the other side of the building gave an alert and guards moved there to check it out. While the guards inside saw nothing different. Their TM was likely smiling at the simplicity of his trick; having access to a load of legitimate user IDs from the camera system, he´d just ordered the trip-wire to turn sensitivity WAY up, claiming to be a maintenance guy (Spoof Order). Good luck that his little infiltrator buddy had completed a list of facility nodes, complete with type information (WiFi-Scan for a list of nodes, sequential matrix perception tests for "type").

Once they approached the door, it opened (TM spoofing again), and inside the van entered 'Spider's' expression. Using the buildings own internal sensors and their comlinks - hidden of course, but set to be visible for him - he quickly pulled up the map (either a Browse or an Edit test, find or make) and send them through the corridors towards the laboratory where their package awaited extraction.

A quick warning as one of the guards approached and his team withdrew into a side door, which opened to just a blink from 'Spider's' tricks (Spoofing). Just bad that the guard could HEAR the door opening...
d1ng0d0g
You have actually gotten my idea behind this pretty well, as this was actually intended to give the Technomancer of that team a little fun, while the rest of the team would be inside the building.

I do have several more questions though.

The sprite send away to Scan, would it just scan a single node, or would it just keep scanning every node in the complex ? And what about signal ?

A bit more technical and not specifically a Technomancer question. But am I wrong to assume that if you have a low security facility, with just some cameras, guards, and alarm systems. The perimeter alarms (for simplicitiy tripwires) would be slaved to a secondary security system (System A), all accessible physically from the control room. The outside cameras would likely be slave that that same system (System A). Internal Cameras would also be present in that same control room, and slaved to a different system (just so someone with more security clearance can look) (System B). Door controls and such would be slaved to a last system (System C).

This doesn't sound like too much of a security issue, but I think this would actually make a hacking attempt much nastier. Or wouldn't a security system work like that ?
Ryu
- The sprite will execute its orders. "Search all onsite nodes, and start with that camera. Give me their type." Signal might become an issue, but as you are sending the team onsite, there are at least a few nodes that will be useable as routers.

- The node infrastructure you choose as the GM will basically decide how many nodes the hacker/TM has to hack. Duh. That is only nasty if the hacker has to use edge in order to gain access reliably. The most simple setup has all security-relevant devices as one cluster, and no dedicated security station. That cluster could be divided into device type (cameras, tripwire), device location(internal security devices, internal cameras), or into individual devices (not building a cluster at all).
Individual systems seem much safer (more chances for the hacker to fail), but really aren´t, since active security measures have a whole lot of nodes to guard against intrusion. The sweet spot from an ingame POV is choosen by the GM. (You might want to check this step-by-step approach to creating a system. Note that it does not mention Passkeys or alternative kinds of verification systems, cool as those might be.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012