Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical Services
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shalimar
As far as I can tell the only price that has been put on a magical service is 100 nuyen.gif an hour for Warding, but the book mentions rich people paying mages to cast spells on them as a status symbol like Healthy Glow, and that would probably extend to Fashion and Make Over but I didn't see any listed cost for spell casting services, or for Healing or any other spell. What could a spell caster expect to make for selling those services?
Fuchs
Just remember to always mask your signature on runs if you sell spells.
Shalimar
Very good point though that will take a bit of initiating.
Barenziahlover58
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Oct 17 2008, 06:37 AM) *
As far as I can tell the only price that has been put on a magical service is 100 nuyen.gif an hour for Warding, but the book mentions rich people paying mages to cast spells on them as a status symbol like Healthy Glow, and that would probably extend to Fashion and Make Over but I didn't see any listed cost for spell casting services, or for Healing or any other spell. What could a spell caster expect to make for selling those services?

May-be it up to the player to negrate than price to they service to the rich. Do you think that call girls have than pricelist for they service.
WeaverMount
A couple very specific prices or ballparks I would like to see are
1)Cash value of karma spent on quickening spells and long term binding
2)Cost to speed dial a mage and have them summon a spirit of man with the spell you want, get to you on the astral, materialize and cast it.
3)How much more does 2 cost if the spell needs to be cast in a hot zone.
4)Cost to sustain a spell on a runner by the minuet.
WeaverMount
double post
TheOOB
I would normally say a spell would cost about 100 nuyen per spell force for a walk-in, less if you are a regular customer or it's a mage that sells a specialty spell regularly(eg. a magic stylist might only charge 100-200 nuyen to use the fasion spell even if they cast it at a high force because it's their specialty).

1)Lets see, you will most likely see somewhere between 1,500-3,500 nuyen per karma spent. During creation karma gets you 2,500 nuyen a point, and while selling back karma for nuyen wouldn't get you the same rate normally, some talented magicians could charge extra because their skills are rare and who else are you going to.

2)Having the mage send a spirit probably costs double, triple, even up to 10 times as much as just casting the spell normally. Keep in mind a mage can only have one summoned spirit at a time and spirits probably don't like being summoned just to cast a single spell on someone else for their masters profit. It's most likely cheaper to rent the services of a bound spirit, but that would have to be pre-arranged ahead of time.

3)Just getting a spirit to go into a dangerous situation, cast a spell, then leave, would cost double or triple that of a normal cost spirit spell(assume the spirit erases the astral signature right afterwards). Actually getting the mage or spirit to pull your ass out of the fire? You are looking at double a doc-wagon high-risk response costs.

4)That depends, for normal situations you probally have to pay the cost of the spell every hour, but if you are doing something illegal where the magician might get astrally tracked your looking at a huge price hike.
Cantankerous
The oldest answer to that is: "Whatever the market will bear."

As an average though you probably have to use status more than outcome for many spells like Healthy Glow. A Street Mage who's operating out of a shop in a Lower class neighborhood wouldn't get paid a fifth as much as a Wage Mage in a "Health Spa" in a AAA zone in downtown Seattle would for the same spell at the same level of ability. Probably not a fiftieth as much. Always keep in mind that it isn't quality as much as perception that makes the heads of people with cash to burn to turn. Status is everything to the massive majority of the wealthy in SR. A squatter turning tricks in Loveland for boys in for a night of Hell raising from Fort Lewis might get Y10 a pop, but the same "business person" in a B zone in Renton would likely get Y100 and a high class call girl/boy in a AAA zone in Bellvue might get a hundred times that for his/her services. The same would hold true for any "service" related field, and casting spells on someone at their request is exactly that.

Isshia
CoyoteNZ
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Oct 18 2008, 09:34 PM) *
A couple very specific prices or ballparks I would like to see are
2)Cost to speed dial a mage and have them summon a spirit of man with the spell you want, get to you on the astral, materialize and cast it.

Slightly off topic, but are you implying that a spirit of man can cast or be used to cast a spell through?

Kid of wondering what you mean, because if their is a rule I have missed I'd love to know it, as that would be really handy!
Rasumichin
QUOTE (CoyoteNZ @ Oct 18 2008, 10:38 PM) *
Slightly off topic, but are you implying that a spirit of man can cast or be used to cast a spell through?

Kid of wondering what you mean, because if their is a rule I have missed I'd love to know it, as that would be really handy!

Spirits of Man can get a spell their conjurer knows as an optional power.

And yes, this is indeed incredibly useful, making them probably the most powerful spirits available to PCs.
You can get them to sustain spells for much longer durations than other spirits, as they don't sustain a spell taken over from you, but simply sustain one of their powers.
8-hour Increase Reflexes without a sustaining focus?
Just call a spirit of Man.
CoyoteNZ
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Oct 19 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Spirits of Man can get a spell their conjurer knows as an optional power.

Ok, just looked it up and read it, Fantastic!, that's going to be very helpful smile.gif

Max,
Dunedin, NZ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012