Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alright! Who did it! One of you better fess up.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chance359
Not I, but I'll keep it in mind for any future runs.
Starmage21
Yeah, that was a professional job for sure. I'll bet if they track down the craigslist account it turns out to be phony.
AngelisStorm
That happened 15 miles from me. Go borderline NAN!

(And that bank robber is my new hero. Totally smooth. He escaped in an intertube on the river, for goodness sakes.)
Heath Robinson
I've been waiting for something like this to happen. The next year of US legislation is going to be interesting, if physically painful, to watch.
masterofm
He probably didn't escape on the intertube. I bet you it was someone else who was paid to wear his outfit to escape on the intertube who looked exactly like him. That would be the Shadowrunner move.
kanislatrans
smoke and mirrors done well.

this couldn't have been done by one of my team for a number of reasons:

1) The guard was not shot with a panther cannon.

2) The getaway did not involve the theft of 3 or more motor vehicles.

3) The decoys were not threaten with bodily harm if they did not cooperate.

ok, they aren't quite that bad....most of the time. grinbig.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Oct 20 2008, 08:25 AM) *
smoke and mirrors done well.

this couldn't have been done by one of my team for a number of reasons:

1) The guard was not shot with a panther cannon.

2) The getaway did not involve the theft of 3 or more motor vehicles.

3) The decoys were not threaten with bodily harm if they did not cooperate.

ok, they aren't quite that bad....most of the time. grinbig.gif

ROFFLEWAFFLES!

Afterwards, the robber went to the local sleazy bar and performed this flawlessly....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXW3J0CmbjM
JeffSz
I wouldn't be surprised if he ran two blocks, ditched his outfit, shoved the money into a plastic shopping bag, and walked nonchalantly into a Starbucks to order a latte.
Matsci
It wasn't my group.

A. There were no terrorist attacks involved

B. There was no Mini-gun fire

C. No one was eaten.
paws2sky
Not my group either.

No one was filled full of holes from large caliber automatic pistols.
No one had their torso punched through with a basketball-sized fist.
No one was repeatedly knocked to the ground and kicked into unconsciousness.
The area was not littered with dozen of discharged, machine pistol sized, stick-shock rounds.
Also, there was no astral background count.

-paws
DocTaotsu
It couldn't be my group either,there weren't any reports of people being mentally violated in the name of interrogation.
knasser
Or my group - they didn't steal the van itself, the security guard's weapon if any, his helmet, personal wallet, mobile phone (commlink) or anything else other than the intended loot. nyahnyah.gif

This shows a lot of thought, right down to minimising the injury inflicted on the guard either through humanity or to limit legal consequences if caught. What we have here is a criminal that is clearly smart, innovative and interested purely in effectiveness. The sort of person who would probably enjoy the central characters in Thomas Crown Affair, V for Vendetta, the Italian Job, Batman: Dark Knight and other hymns to free thinking. If this is a person who decides to simply take the money and move on, they may well get away with it. If it's someone driven to carry out other innovative crimes, they will eventually make a mistake. In either case, I wonder if we're going to see more people carrying out such innovative crimes. There's no shortage of popular-culture role-models.

And no, it wasn't me.

Probably.
DocTaotsu
Reminds me of the Armenian immigrant bank robber who knocked over banks for almost 2 decades (if memory serves). Guy never fired a shot, picked his targets well, and had a plan that involved running through the forest at night to a concealed dirt bike for his escape.

Oh and he made some sort of fantastic pits to hide all his cash in since he had a normal job and lived in a regular house.
Umbra
That was definitely my group.

After taking the time and effort to replace and impersonate the bank guard, some guy dressed like a member of the Village People with SARS comes up to us and sprays our inside man with pepper-punch and runs off with all of the money we were stealing.

- Umbra
Platinum Dragon
QUOTE (Umbra @ Oct 21 2008, 08:40 AM) *
That was definitely my group.

After taking the time and effort to replace and impersonate the bank guard, some guy dressed like a member of the Village People with SARS comes up to us and sprays our inside man with pepper-punch and runs off with all of the money we were stealing.

- Umbra

Oh god that's awesome!

I think I have a new sig.
Ruin-Gar
Well, it certainly wasn't my group.

If it had been, the run would have been botched so badly, it would have resulted in a TPK and tons of damage to the surrounding area, due to flubbed spells, misfired Panther cannons, and people stabbing their own eyes out after tripping and falling on their hand razors.

Fraggin' group of dimwits...
Chance359
This is the guy Fixers and Johnsons want. Our runners are what they have to settle for.
Chrysalis
I think our runner's Johnson's johnsons would like runner(s) like these.

Not our group, this would have involved more firearms.
Dr Funfrock
Not my group. The bank was still standing.

I could say more, but I think that about covers it wink.gif
masterofm
Not our group. If it was there would be an astral sig left at the scene.
hobgoblin
so far there have been two mentions of assualt cannons and one minigun...

what bank are people trying to rob? fort knox?
Tachi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 24 2008, 12:49 AM) *
so far there have been two mentions of assualt cannons and one minigun...

what bank are people trying to rob? fort knox?

Couldn't have been Fort Knox. From the sound of these guys, if it had been Fort Knox, they would've used Tac Nukes.
hobgoblin
what worries me is that you may well be right...
Tachi
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that using Tac Nukes on Fort Knox is necessarily a "bad" thing. I don't know what it looks like in 2070 but in 2008 there seems to be at least 1 tank brigade there to deal with, maybe more. On the other hand, radioactive gold IS "bad".
Chrysalis
Fort Knox happens to be empty. The U.S. sold most of their gold reserves in the 1970s. If you believe conspiracy theories wink.gif

Our group instead would use tac-nukes as the diversion. No need to mention that the bag of cash we would steal wouldn't even cover the tac-nuke let alone the cast of one we would have lined up.

-Chrysalis
hobgoblin
well i could have said a certain orbital bank, but then it has its own complications.

its just that attacking fort knox is the classical example of going for the hardest target there is, in terms of what one is after.
Drogos
No, everybody knows that Fort Knox takes nerve gas nyahnyah.gif
Tachi
I thought there was still gold there, just a insignificant (globally speaking) amount. It's main reason for being is that it's one of the major Armor stations in the U.S. Abrahams, and Bradleys, and hummers, oh my.
hobgoblin
oh, its probably gold there. but given how most of the worlds economy runs on fiat&debt these days, the amount of gold pr bill is probably uselessly small.
nezumi
Keep in mind, the US Mint produces a lot more coins than it actually sells (either due to lack of market or because of congressional limits, etc.) I suspect Ft. Knox is stocked high with all of the coins they haven't otherwise off-loaded yet.

I do also have it on good authority (from someone who has been there) that there is gold, but I don't know in what quantity or form. Do keep in mind that the Mint does use gold, silver and copper for the stuff they produce, so it would make sense to store them there before use.
Siege
I think this supremely illustrates the differences in hard and soft Shadowrunning - this robbery versus the LA bank heist.

Thomas Crowne Affair versus Heat.

-Siege
Matsci
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7690868.stm

So which of you Pulled this one off?

Way too subtle for my group, that is for sure.
hobgoblin
heh, reminds me of something that was pulled here in norway some years ago.

basically, in the morning, right before opening time, a group of people backs a delivery van up to the front door of a jeweler. they then force the door, disables the alarm and cleans out the place.

all this while other shops in the area is opening up.
knasser
QUOTE (Matsci @ Oct 25 2008, 05:26 PM) *
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7690868.stm

So which of you Pulled this one off?

I cannot tell a lie, Sir... It was Fortune, Sir.

biggrin.gif
Fortune
If only I could remember where I stashed the damn loot. frown.gif
Leofski
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 24 2008, 01:52 PM) *
oh, its probably gold there. but given how most of the worlds economy runs on fiat&debt these days, the amount of gold pr bill is probably uselessly small.

There is no gold backing these days, largely because its been obsoleted by greater levels of international capital flows. The interactions between a multinational gold standard, which essentially fixes your exchange rates, and differing international returns aren't particularly nice. The ammount of gold that a country holds is pretty irrelevant, compared to other strategic resources and foreign exchange. Its nice to have, but there is little real advantage to the holdings.

On another note those were some great runs. Shows whats possible with the correct clothes and a decent plan. Gentlemen, I salute you.

You can take your Keynesian economics and shove it.
Cantankerous
My people were not involved. No one spontaneously combusted (looooong story), no one died from a narcoject round that punched through the left eyeball at just the right angle to lodge itself in the cortex causing neural paralysis and there were no minor "demons" used to act as the distractions nor were the entrails of a sea bass involved in any manner.

Isshia
Spark
yeah def not my guys... well most probably not... there wasnt a loot cart involved...or any religious fanatics.
Rasumichin
Not my group either.

-No one was under drug influence
-Ares wasn't asked by a group member if they could use orbital weapons on the area
-No one decided to sell his soul out to an otherworldly monstrosity in exchange for the sacrificing metamagic
-No one came up with the idea that the escape route could probably have been a tunnel across the metaplanes
-Plus, it didn't involve eating dinner five times per day or more
Larme
The way I see it, what's the point of having all those dice in combat if you don't beat the tar out of anyone? nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012