Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Limited astral projection and cyberpsychosis.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hagga
The limited astral projection metamagic of SOTA2064. Assuming it was taken in 4e, with the same rules, for a mystic adept - could they then go on metaplanar quests.

And, that said, in 4e - all I can find is the cyberpsychosis flaw. Do you suffer reduced versions of it that aren't going to cause game effects as you get more 'ware? There are a few sample characters with very low essence, for example, in the core rulebook.
Tarantula
If they could in 3rd, then yes, using those same rules, they'd be able to in 4th.
Stahlseele
of course they can go on metaplanar quests . . if they can get them done in 5 minutes, at least . . or did they change the bit where the limited lets you go out for essence minutes instead of essence hours before death appears?
Hagga
As far as I know, a metaplanar quest lets you project as long as you want, until you fail, succeed or head off home. Otherwise you'd never get them done.
Tarantula
Just read through the metaplanar quest section in SM (130) and didn't see anything about it granting you extra time to project.
Hagga
I'm going on what I remember of "Harlequin's back". Never mind, I just noticed that nasty little preperation test, anyway, which I thought was "combat turns" rather than "hours", I'm full of it. Ta.

Any ideas on that cyberpsychosis?
Stahlseele
well, there IS the Part about time being REALLY subjective while on such quests . . could seem to you that you were in there for weeks, and when you come aout, blammo, just some hours . .
pbangarth
Earlier versions of SR explicitly discussed the time-away issue of Metaplanar Quests, arguing that time dilation occurred, so that there was no contradiction with the astral projection limit of 1 hour per Magic Point.

SM doesn't specifically mention that time dilation, nor does it make any direct reference to the explicit Astral Projection limit in SR4 of 1 hour per Magic Point. It does make reference to extra preparations the magician might make to protect her body while questing in the metaplanes - eg. wards or guardians around her vacated body. These precautions seem prudent even for regular astral projection.

Since the text of SM about Metaplanar Quests does not contradict the 1 hour per Magic Point limit, one must assume that limit still exists. Therefore the time dilation on Metaplanar Quests must also be in effect. Take as circumstantial evidence in favour of this phenomenon the side notes on taking buddies along for quests, positing that this accompaniment on another's Quest could happen during their dreams.

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012