Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PDF Updates
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Malachi
I just finished downloading the errata-corrected PDF of Arsenal and I just thought I'd say: good job Catalyst. I love having the errata-corrected PDF books, here's hoping that other books get the same treatment soon. Keep up the good work.
Zen Shooter01
Is that available at Battle Corps? And how do I know I'm getting the corrected version? I just looked, and there didn't seem to be any note on ARS saying "corrected version".
Adam
The corrected version is on BattleCorps. If you have already purchased it, your download count has been reset so you can download it again.
knasser

Okay, I got it. It's good to have an updated version and I appreciate that this is provided. I didn't receive any email notification of this though, so can I put in a plea for Catalyst to start doing a subscription list for these notifications. I normally buy PDFs from DriveThruRPG.com who do this automatically (and you can unsubscribe on a product by product basis), but as SR products seem to get released on Battlecorps first, I have to buy from them or else endure an unspecified waiting period (not an option). It would be really helpful if Battlecorps could follow DriveThru's example. If I happened to not look at Dumpshock for a couple of days, I wouldn't have found out about this as the thread would quickly vanish from the front pages.

K.
Adam
A few things:

1. The BattleCorps system sends out emails ... and in the current wild world of the internet, sometimes emails don't arrive, arrive late, get filtered as spam, etc. So there is _always_ going to be the possibility that the email was sent and lost. Also, since they just started going out tonight, I suspect that they all haven't been sent out yet -- I wager the system staggers them.

2. You can turn on Global Notifications or per-product notifications in the BattleCorps system. Log in and use this URL -- https://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/account...tifications.php -- or hit the "View or change my product notification list." link to double-check that your account is configured to have this notices sent to you. And, of course, you may want to double-check that the shop has your current email account listed.

3. When I'm 100% sure that the revised Arsenal file is up on OneBookShelf [DriveThru/RPGNow], there will be a posting on Shadowrun4.com about both sites being updated -- but OneBookShelf is a bit more of a "business hours" operation than we are. smile.gif
i101
Good job! Thank you guys. And by the way.. I dont know what you have done with the pictures, but some of them dont look that blury anymore. Finally it looks very nice.
Zen Shooter01
I just received an email from Battle Corps this morning, notifying me of the update and with instructions on how to get it. Most excellent in every way - well done, Catalyst Game Labs.
DireRadiant
It's all you Knasser.

I got my email notification from Battlecorp for the update.
knasser
Well I've just discovered one of my email accounts wasn't working, so thanks to Adam for bringing that to my attention. And I have to say, that this looks much sharper, as well as being 10MB smaller in size. The problems I had with the older PDF on some computers (basically being very slow to render) also seem to have been resolved.

Top marks to Catalyst and whoever did this personally (Adam, I presume).

Many thanks,

K.
Adam
Yeah, I'm back to the old "Print to Postscript, then Distill to PDF" method. It takes longer -- more than twice as long -- but the flattened transparencies seem to be a lot friendlier to older and third party PDF readers.
Malachi
Not to mention, much easier on small mobile devices rendering the PDF, for those of us who dump our e-books onto the 'ol PDA to have them on the go! (I've read so much Shadowrun waiting in doctor's offices etc).
Tarantula
Just a recommendation... Foxit reader has treated the SR4 pdfs very well for me thusfar. It loads quick, has nice tabbed browsing, and pages through them quick too.

Negative: When you do a text select, it gets everything as tabs instead of spaces, so copy/paste sucks with it.
darthmord
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 24 2008, 02:27 AM) *
A few things:

1. The BattleCorps system sends out emails ... and in the current wild world of the internet, sometimes emails don't arrive, arrive late, get filtered as spam, etc. So there is _always_ going to be the possibility that the email was sent and lost. Also, since they just started going out tonight, I suspect that they all haven't been sent out yet -- I wager the system staggers them.

2. You can turn on Global Notifications or per-product notifications in the BattleCorps system. Log in and use this URL -- https://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/account...tifications.php -- or hit the "View or change my product notification list." link to double-check that your account is configured to have this notices sent to you. And, of course, you may want to double-check that the shop has your current email account listed.

3. When I'm 100% sure that the revised Arsenal file is up on OneBookShelf [DriveThru/RPGNow], there will be a posting on Shadowrun4.com about both sites being updated -- but OneBookShelf is a bit more of a "business hours" operation than we are. smile.gif

I have bought a few PDFs through BattleCorps and have NEVER received an email from them regarding an update to a PDF despite having always made sure that I am set to be notified of any updates. That coupled with my most recent issues with trying to buy a PDF + Book combo and the shipping getting defaulted to a non-selected (and more expensive option) has led me to NOT buy anything from them.

The snarky email I got back from BattleCorps about the shipping selection problem also didn't help any either.

So anymore, I just use BattleCorps to get the book info (title, ISBN, book number, etc) and then take that info to my FLGS and order it from them. I even get a discount too.
Adam
QUOTE (darthmord @ Oct 27 2008, 12:31 PM) *
I have bought a few PDFs through BattleCorps and have NEVER received an email from them regarding an update to a PDF despite having always made sure that I am set to be notified of any updates.

Obviously, you'll only get mail if the PDF is updated -- have you bought PDFs that were updated, and never received mail?

That coupled with my most recent issues with trying to buy a PDF + Book combo and the shipping getting defaulted to a non-selected (and more expensive option) has led me to NOT buy anything from them.

The snarky email I got back from BattleCorps about the shipping selection problem also didn't help any either.

So anymore, I just use BattleCorps to get the book info (title, ISBN, book number, etc) and then take that info to my FLGS and order it from them. I even get a discount too.

I'm sorry that you felt you were mistreated by the BattleShop; I don't personally handle it so I don't know the specifics of your situation. However, we do think that buying your games locally, when possible, is the best thing for the gaming hobby.
darthmord
Adam,

I did buy two PDFs that have since been updated and never received notification of them. I know that my email filters will let anything from BattleCorps through as I specifically set up a rule to do so. Unfortunately, I can't go back and get the updated PDFs as the timer expired by the time I found out the PDF was updated.

Gaming unfortunately, is somewhat low on my priority list. I don't have a regular group and the group I could play with only plays on evenings that I am unable to attend (prior commitments).

As such, I generally don't worry about the updates. If there's errata, I get it from the site, print it, and put it with the book(s) in question.

I also understand that you don't handle the BattleShop. No worries. My FLGS has happily taken my business (and keeps me in the loop as to their upcoming shipment arrivals too).
Adam
darth,

If you zap me an email to adamjury at catalystgamelabs dot com listing the books you've bought and don't have updates for, I'll make sure that your download counts get reset for them so you can get the latest versions.
Adam
And I should point out that goes for any customer: if you're having an issue with not being able to download something due to the download expiring, running out of downloads, etc, just email fixer@battlecorps.com and he'll hook you up with the goods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012