Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are all sports stadiums enclosed?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
I was thinking, with corp spying etc would all the major sports stadiums be enclosed in the future or would they still have some that are 'old fashioned?"

In RL right now, forexample the areas like Dallas, Tampa Bay, Seattle. Milwaukee and New Orleans have domes. New England, Boston, NYC, Baltimore and Philly are all open to the elements. a 2 hour rain delay in Philly as that city heads for it's second World serries Championship, a foot ball game in a blizzard in Foxbourough are all part of sports lore.

Would purists keep stadiums open in the future- remember the Astrodome originally had a live grass floor- or would they all be enclosed because of the environment and non-network spies?
Dr Funfrock
Most will probably have adjustable roofs, so open or closed depending on the elements. The main stadium in Toronto (can't remember the name) works like this, as do a few others.
knasser

Don't forget to factor in the local pollution levels. Don't want to have your players dissolving.
Ravor
Except during Ratings Week that is. cyber.gif
the_real_elwood
You're still gonna have your classic open baseball fields in the 2060's. Too many traditionalists in baseball for open stadiums to go away for good, and that's the way I like it. Probably plenty of open football stadiums too, though fewer than in baseball. And most of the stadiums with a roof probably have a retractable one at that. But why would they be worried about spying at a sporting event? The event is televised anyways.
Stahlseele
there's wards to keep out magic, but what about magically affected weather?
i don't particularly like football/soccer and i am something of a big dick often.
i can't go magicking something directly inside the stadium, but i can do so on
the outside to influence the weather for a nice hail-storm to hit directly above
the oh so invitingly open roof . . 'cause the hail itself is nonmagical, so it will
not be stopped by those pesky security mages for example O.o
kzt
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Oct 26 2008, 01:28 PM) *
You're still gonna have your classic open baseball fields in the 2060's. Too many traditionalists in baseball for open stadiums to go away for good, and that's the way I like it. Probably plenty of open football stadiums too, though fewer than in baseball.

You think the players will perform better wearing a respirator and chemical protective gear? I tend to have my doubts about this...
Cain
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Oct 26 2008, 09:23 AM) *
I was thinking, with corp spying etc would all the major sports stadiums be enclosed in the future or would they still have some that are 'old fashioned?"

In RL right now, forexample the areas like Dallas, Tampa Bay, Seattle. Milwaukee and New Orleans have domes. New England, Boston, NYC, Baltimore and Philly are all open to the elements. a 2 hour rain delay in Philly as that city heads for it's second World serries Championship, a foot ball game in a blizzard in Foxbourough are all part of sports lore.

Technically speaking, Seattle does not have a dome. Tacoma has the Tacoma Dome, but I don't know of any major sports teams that play there. Qwest Field, home of the Mariners, has a retractable roof; and Seahawk Stadium is open air.
Fix-it
given the environmental damage by corporations let off the leash, I would imagine that most stadiums would be enclosed.

there is also the security aspect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012