Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Deal With It?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Trobon
Here's the problem I tend to have. I'll come up with a cool idea for a character or a campaign and will get excited about playing them. However, what will happen is after a month or two of that campaign I'll realize that there's this other cool concept or idea. And its not just me either. My group has too many good ideas and there's no way to play them all.

So does anyone else have this problem ever? If so what do you do about it?
krayola red
Solution: You mosey on over to the Welcome to the Shadows forum and host/play a game there. nyahnyah.gif
JudgementLoaf
Up the lethality in my current campaign smile.gif
knasser
QUOTE (JudgementLoaf @ Oct 28 2008, 01:25 AM) *
Up the lethality in my current campaign smile.gif

rotfl.gif
ravensmuse
Whine and complain that you can never get a group together, have the opportunity when one of your two players shows up and is excited to play, discover that you've got nothing written down ("but I had this great idea!").

That's pretty much my gaming as of the last, oh, couple of years...
Cantankerous
QUOTE (Trobon @ Oct 28 2008, 01:38 AM) *
Here's the problem I tend to have. I'll come up with a cool idea for a character or a campaign and will get excited about playing them. However, what will happen is after a month or two of that campaign I'll realize that there's this other cool concept or idea. And its not just me either. My group has too many good ideas and there's no way to play them all.

So does anyone else have this problem ever? If so what do you do about it?

I have that problem all the time, roughly twice a session, because my Players feed me such incredible ideas, usually without their knowing it, but the only solution I've found you won't like... stick on what you are doing, finish it and then get on to the next one. I've presently got enough cool stuff to run this game into the next century (real time... if they hurry up with those anti aging nanomeds that is) about midway. smile.gif But without sticking it out it becomes a vicious cycle and nothing ever gets done. My advice: stick it out. And work on the next cool idea while you do so that when you do it it is even cooler for having been fully prepared.

Isshia
Shiloh
QUOTE (Cantankerous @ Oct 28 2008, 02:11 PM) *
I have that problem all the time, roughly twice a session, because my Players feed me such incredible ideas, usually without their knowing it, but the only solution I've found you won't like... stick on what you are doing, finish it and then get on to the next one. I've presently got enough cool stuff to run this game into the next century (real time... if they hurry up with those anti aging nanomeds that is) about midway. smile.gif But without sticking it out it becomes a vicious cycle and nothing ever gets done. My advice: stick it out. And work on the next cool idea while you do so that when you do it it is even cooler for having been fully prepared.

Isshia

Stick it out, and work the cool ideas into what you're doing. Okay, so it's hard to get them all in: the rockergroup doesn't fit too well with the established elite cyberninja team, but seeing some of your ideas as *adversaries* might be as cool as playing them through as the protagonists.
Cardul
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Oct 28 2008, 06:20 AM) *
Whine and complain that you can never get a group together, have the opportunity when one of your two players shows up and is excited to play, discover that you've got nothing written down ("but I had this great idea!").

That's pretty much my gaming as of the last, oh, couple of years...

Write stuff down? Wow..um...people actually do that? wink.gif
I have gotten to see our GM's notebook...um...yeah...quik sketched damaged tracks and doodles a lot of the time...

Of course, to the original poster: Yes, all the time. In fact, my group even has a name for it... Character ADHD. Hence we actually use a rotation of characters. The other option would be for the GM to up the lethality, and, well...our GM does not like setting out to kill someone explicitly...
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Cardul @ Oct 29 2008, 01:11 AM) *
Write stuff down? Wow..um...people actually do that? wink.gif
I have gotten to see our GM's notebook...um...yeah...quik sketched damaged tracks and doodles a lot of the time...

Of course, to the original poster: Yes, all the time. In fact, my group even has a name for it... Character ADHD. Hence we actually use a rotation of characters. The other option would be for the GM to up the lethality, and, well...our GM does not like setting out to kill someone explicitly...

That's pretty much what mine ends up being, along with quick sketches of the current Matrix nodes that my technomancer player is accessing. Of course, usually I forget to actually write down damage tracks biggrin.gif
Blade
Here is the way I deal with it most of the time:

* Try to get it a little further than the original idea. Sometimes you'll realize that there's not much behind that cool concept and it wouldn't be enough for a whole campaign or for a real PC.
* Try to use it in your current game. You've got this cool character concept, but you're GMing? Maybe you can use him as a NPC (but beware the all mighty NPC syndrome). You've got this cool campaign concept? Try to include whatever makes it so cool in your current campaign.
* If it's just a fad ("I've just watched this cool Space Opera movie/series and I want to play a Space Op game so much now!") I usually get rid of it with a less time consuming activity ("I'll just play Freespace 2").

If none of this works, what you can do is take a break from your current campaign from time to time to play other games/characters/missions.
Wesley Street
Not to sound like an echo, but write down the idea and integrate it at a later date. I find it best to stay the course of what you're doing rather than try to fit in every little thing a player throws at you or what you come up on the fly in one campaign.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012