Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ares Predator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Caine Hazen
And forgot. And with that I show you all the nice piece I managed to find online before the Con: My airsoft Pred with a standard Barretta and Desert Eagle for size. It fires in full auto mode as well (though shoots pretty slowly overall). The counterweight is actually removable on this one and it has 2 3-deep RIS mounts on the weight(yes I do already mount my laser dot on there, but it's not pictured) Overall it comes across as a great clone. Made by JLS, and its a model J30 for those looking around to find one.
Got a Spas-12 as well, maybe I should work on a spas-22 mod for next year wink.gif
DocTaotsu
Where'd you get it at?
TKDNinjaInBlack
That's a freaking wicked replica. Gets me all warm and gushy inside.
AngelisStorm
Wow, that is one HUGE pistol.
The Jopp
Looks like the standard RoboCop pistol replica.
Dr Funfrock
Funny that, given the art for the Pred was blatantly nicked off of Robocop? wink.gif
Blade
Yep, really looks like a Pred smile.gif
MJBurrage
As noted, the ARES Predator heavy pistol is almost always drawn as an exact copy of the Auto-9 (Robocop's sidearm).

The actual Auto-9 is a custom, extended barrel, Beretta 93R; which is a 3-round burst 9mm (therefore a LP/MP by Shadowrun mechanics).

There are at least three airsoft replicas marketed as either "Auto-9" or "Robocop gun".
Ed_209a
The stock Auto-9 looks more like a SMG with no shoulder stock than a pistol. Perfect for a 600lb cyborg. wink.gif

What's that, a 10" barrel?

I 'shopped the Predator 1's barrel length back to about 5-6" for use in my games.
Caine Hazen
It was a random ebay find while looking for costuming gear for this year's Scramble at GenCon. It is close to a standard 93r, but if you notice that handle is larger around than the DE .50, big big ammo instead of the normal 9mm. Why I dropped a 92 clone in there, as its not to far off from the real 93r size.

Yeah, 10 inches or so on the barrel w/counterweight. I'm going to post up a few more pics later I think after I get it with a few more peices of gear... or after the halloween party this weekend grinbig.gif
psychophipps
I do find it curious that people always figure that Predator is a Hugh Jass magnum-sized pistol when it's obviously not a Hugh Jass magnum even in RAW. It has 15 shots in a flush-fit magazine for a maximum cartridge size of about 10mm/40 S&W and the realio-dealio magnum in the BBB does more damage.

Just a random thought...
Blade
Just look at my avatar, which is supposed to be a Predator.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Blade @ Oct 30 2008, 02:06 AM) *
Just look at my avatar, which is supposed to be a Predator.

Oh, I see your point for sure. It's just very odd that the stats have never, ever matched the pictures since 1st Edition.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Oct 30 2008, 09:09 AM) *
Oh, I see your point for sure. It's just very odd that the stats have never, ever matched the pictures since 1st Edition.

This happens even today. A H&K Mk23 and a Glock 21 fire the same round, and within most RPGs, would have identical stats, but the Mk23 is much bulkier, because of overengineering, and features most users will never need. I think the Predator is the same way.

IMO (and in my games) the Predator line is aimed (pardon the pun) at professionals. It has minor features that the Manhunter and Ultrapower would not. Like built in support for induction pads and data jack patch cables, instead of just wireless. Like a slide lock to turn the weapon into a manual repeater when you need to be REALLY stealthy.
Blade
In my games, all Heavy Pistols are ridiculously large and a Desert Eagle would probably be considered as a big Light Pistol or a small Heavy Pistol.
Wesley Street
QUOTE ("Dr. Funfrock")
Funny that, given the art for the Pred was blatantly nicked off of Robocop?

No kidding. smile.gif
Robocop Airsoft Pistol.
Robocop Auto-9 Prop Pistol.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Oct 30 2008, 05:24 AM) *
This happens even today. A H&K Mk23 and a Glock 21 fire the same round, and within most RPGs, would have identical stats, but the Mk23 is much bulkier, because of overengineering, and features most users will never need. I think the Predator is the same way.

IMO (and in my games) the Predator line is aimed (pardon the pun) at professionals. It has minor features that the Manhunter and Ultrapower would not. Like built in support for induction pads and data jack patch cables, instead of just wireless. Like a slide lock to turn the weapon into a manual repeater when you need to be REALLY stealthy.

Well, that's an interesting theory but I'm pretty sure, through experience as the "reality check" for a few comic artists in various media, that the reason why the Ares Predator is so whacked out in size, shape and general disposition in the art of the various editions is because RPG artists are artists and generally have absolutely no clue at all as to what makes an effective, let alone functional, firearm of any type. To be frank, they're art dweebs and wouldn't know the difference between a Glock and a Sig if they jumped up and suddenly bit them in the ass.
MJBurrage
Same thinking that led to Shadowrun calling pistols based on 9mm "light" and pistols based on .45 "heavy" and in SR2/3 giving them hugely different damage codes.
  • SR1 — 9mm Light Pistol (3M2 damage), .45 Heavy Pistol (4M2 damage).
  • SR2/3 — 9mm Light Pistol (6L damage), .45 Heavy Pistol (9M damage).
  • SR4 — 9mm Light Pistol (4P/— damage), .45 Heavy Pistol (5P/–1 damage).
At least SR4 brought it back to a smaller difference.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Oct 30 2008, 03:12 PM) *
Well, that's an interesting theory but I'm pretty sure, through experience as the "reality check" for a few comic artists in various media, that the reason why the Ares Predator is so whacked out in size, shape and general disposition in the art of the various editions is because RPG artists are artists and generally have absolutely no clue at all as to what makes an effective, let alone functional, firearm of any type. To be frank, they're art dweebs and wouldn't know the difference between a Glock and a Sig if they jumped up and suddenly bit them in the ass.

If we were talking D20 Modern or Spycraft I'd agree but there's a little thing called artistic license that comes into play in science-fiction/comic/RPG art and design. And functionality doesn't have a thing to do with it. Realistically scaled firearms are not artistically interesting, especially since so many modern firearms can fit in the palm of your hand. A Glock 27 can kill a guy but it doesn't look threatening. And this gun may look ridiculously unrealistic to the firearms aficionado but there's no denying that it's visually more impressive in that "look at my big metal phallus" sort of way.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Oct 30 2008, 09:09 AM) *

Ha ha, let's face it, the drawings of firearms in SR have basically generally not made sense period.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Oct 30 2008, 02:19 PM) *
If we were talking D20 Modern or Spycraft I'd agree but there's a little thing called artistic license that comes into play in science-fiction/comic/RPG art and design. And functionality doesn't have a thing to do with it. Realistically scaled firearms are not artistically interesting, especially since so many modern firearms can fit in the palm of your hand. A Glock 27 can kill a guy but it doesn't look threatening. And this gun may look ridiculously unrealistic to the firearms aficionado but there's no denying that it's visually more impressive in that "look at my big metal phallus" sort of way.

I do believe that the term is "Got it in one" applies here. wink.gif

It also helps when the audience, like pretty much any media out there, isn't a group of gun nuts as well. Of course, this also points out the fact that many artists are also lazy bastards and would rather go for the easy out of big, phat, and ridunkulous rather than depend on much harder ways to create effective visual expression of intent like dynamics and foreshadowing. To whit, if the Hugh Jass gun in a given character's hand is the most interesting bit of the picture, you done screwed the pooch, you fucking hack.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012