Let's keep things standard, but loose. Start each post with
Character Name
<<Somethingsday, Month XX, 20XX/HH:MM:SS>>
(color #FFA500)

Description is your regular text
Bold names
Italicize or spoiler tag IC thought.
[Matrix communications in brackets]
(Subvocalized communication in parenthesis)
"Quotes around spoken text"
<JP> use country codes for language spoken. Place at the beginning of anything that would language excepting Japanese, which is the default.

You are free to dictate your surroundings to a certain degree, non-important npcs, flatmates and flavor are all open to you.

Dice rolls I'll let you handle, give me the results in the order they're rolled (select a standard method for deciding this if you use physical dice) and enter them with a number of successes to the side. Say you're rolling etiquette(street) with a charisma of 3 and 2(4) for your skill.

Example:
Etiquette(street)
5234623 = 2 hits

I'll add/subract dice afterward as necessary. If you have no dice, let me know, There are die rollers online, I'll dig up a link.

If there's any circumstance you don't want a roll revealed to other players under, spoiler tag it, or PM me with it, For whispered messages, hidden actions, and anything that shouldn't be general knowledge, there are spoiler tags. Spoiler tags for other players (in their posts, or directed to them in mine) are off limits. If you really want secrecy on something, then use PM and send me copies so I can roll with it. By extension, please give appropriate description for things that would be openly seen while doing this in the open post.

Don't stress too much for the first part, it'll be pretty light and simple, and my main intent with the opening act is to give us a chance to get used to this, and make any changes necessary.

If you need to take an absence, that's cool, designate someone to control your character (even me) and give them what they need to handle things at least semi-well.

Have any suggestions? Bring them up. Complaints? Bring them too. I'm always willing to try to reason things out, as long as it doesn't slow the whole thing down.

Characters are standard 400BP.
The focus is on stealth.
Japanese language is an absolute must, native or not, linguasoft it, whatever you do, get it.
Have Character 'sheets' in this thread in spoiler tags by Monday please.
The more I have about them, the better sub-plot I can write for them.
No prepaid months of rent.

Setting: Japan, western honshu, the Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe Sprawl (Shortened to Keihanshin when said or written) The Japanese government and Imperial court both exist here. Corporations and the Imperials all vie for control of the Diet using whatever means they can, you'd be used to doing 'work' for politicians. The year is Seiji (正冶) 11, and is 2071 by western reckoning. (The literal meaning is 'Righteous Rule') The era name designates the Emperor of the time. People who revere the Emperor will commonly refer to the year by it's era designation rather than western. I'll always translate things if I put them in Japanese, and there will always be a specific purpose for using it. Feel free to ask any questions relevant if you want your character to do anything like this. I'll keep it minimal to avoid confusion. A date here or there, maybe a particular word or a note about an NPCs speech style, this is how I'd suggest approaching it if you wanted to do this yourself.

Lifestyle: I intend to keep my nose out of yours unless it's important. Flavor it and play it I can use the Runner's Companion to create a custom lifestyle if you need that. Give me a budget and what the character would prioritize in their search.

Should you want to bring a character to this campaign and have not already been invited, PM me, applications are tentatively open.

More as I think of it.
JavaLamp
Current Status:

Isako Matrix Status: AR
Healthy

Isoro Yamanuchi
Healthy

Kit Astral Status:
Healthy
Sustained Spells -

Aldan Penrice Astral Status: None
Headache (1S damage)
Sustained Spells -
TakayamaYuuko
Isako
Born as SINner: Takayama Yuuko

Character Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Very glad this game is at last getting under way. Java already has all my background fiction.

Trying to get some images uploaded so that other players can see them, so far no success.
JavaLamp
Thanks Yuuko,
Yeah, I'll answer questions about setting and everything related to this campaign here now, nice central location.
TakayamaYuuko
Well, it's Monday...

Time to widen up recruitment a little, perhaps?
JavaLamp
Standard procedure, 'by *suchandsuch* date/time' will always be missed. We'll be up and running soon, most players have been in touch with me personally.
TakayamaYuuko
Going to try linking my sketches here.

http://boards.jp/albums/yokoburi/Yuuko002....ageViewsIndex=1

http://boards.jp/albums/yokoburi/Yuuko004....ageViewsIndex=1

http://boards.jp/albums/yokoburi/Yuuko005....ageViewsIndex=1

If you can't see them, try selecting the full-size version.
systematicdemise
Alright I'm here Jya! Let me know what you need for me and what other info you need.
-Araceil
JavaLamp
Okay, enough getting sidetracked by WoW.
This is being posted from work so it'll be short by necessity.

So far I have 'Isako' and 'Toorop', Working on Araceil and Shakkel's characters, Shakkel will be later as he wants a more active role in designing the vehicles. Looks like I may open up lines a bit as 'Des' is not coming, at least yet.

-JL
Kerris
I don't mean to butt in, but I saw the new thread. There wouldn't happen to be an open spot in this game, would there? That last post makes it look like you have 4 to 5 players, so no biggie if there's not a slot, but do let me know if there is.
BlackHat
I spent all morning trying to figure out if this was a new thread, or if I had just somehow missed it for the last month. wink.gif

Edit: and by all morning, I meant, for a few minutes this morning, while eating my breakfast. biggrin.gif But still.
JavaLamp
Heh, well, I did let this topic lay for an entire month. Big plans, didn't go through with them in a timescale I wanted to.

As far as recruitment, I'm running this as closed for the first scenario, but I plan to open things up a bit after I get a feel for running a PbP game. Creation is as the first post.
Kerris
Sounds good, thanks for the info smile.gif
JavaLamp
the extra materials I decided to make for this are... perhaps too much... I will shunt most of them to the side in an effort to expedite this.. no need to create an entire sourcebook, yeah?
TakayamaYuuko
Just a practice post.

Isako
24 December 2070, 22:46:00 hours

On a thoroughfare near Shin-Osaka Station, people are still coming and going. Late-night shoppers pass out of storefronts. Blind, young, idealistic couples loiter on the bridge, lost in their delusions. A few drunks are already clogging up the sidewalks.

Isako passes the square in the shadows, her guitar case slung across her back. The studio practices with Ichi's band have been going well and he thinks they'll be starting live sets within a few weeks.

A tug like a spasming muscle plays at the side of her face; there's a message in her commlink. It's a forward from Ichi, an assignment for a small hack job. Open a little hole in a Shiawase server, probably to give a hand-up to another team at best shaky on the technical side. Whatever. Nuyen to keep the body functioning till the first gig. And hopefully a little more...

She passes another digital scent of peppermint candy. Underneath a damp, metallic tang lingers. The trail is acquired. And maybe in tonight's little job she'll find herself a present, a clue or a key that takes her one more step toward those long-sought realms. In a moment she passes on into the fog, away from the lights and into the shadows bearing gifts of her own.

Merry Christmas, Shiawase.

[Now playing: "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
As performed by DOKKEN]
JavaLamp
That's perfect, Yuuko. Anyhow, finishing up some touches on a PC's sheet, then I'm ready to start.
JavaLamp
And then family came to town.
TakayamaYuuko
Ok, now I'll try an OOC practice post.

[ Spoiler ]
JavaLamp
I don't want you to arrange them low-high or high to low, I'll be taking dice off the end and adding them to the end for modifiers, otherwise, great
TakayamaYuuko
Modifiers? Eek! I'll try to not obviously front-load my successes...

EDIT: say... 525556153 = 6 <- top to bottom, left to right in the bowl
JavaLamp
Where'd the time go? okay, writing the initial posting.
JavaLamp
Posted, not such an illustrious start as others have had, perhaps...

To clarify, instead of something cars would pass through and you'd occasionally brush against somebody (for the normal) the entire street is so full of people that it's impossible to move without bumping into someone.
tarbrush
Hi there, so it seems that you guys have openings?

Are you looking for any archetypes in particular, or is it a come as you are affair?
JavaLamp
I consider it a 'come as you are' type thing, though for this campaign I'd prefer a stealth orientation as stated above. If a team is short on something, I usually tailor encounters for the grouip, so it shouldn't be an issue
tarbrush
Cool. I should hopefully have something for your perusal tomorrow. I don't quite know what yet though smile.gif

EDIT OK, may have been lying about tomorrow. Soon, though, soon.
cndblank
You still looking for players?
tarbrush
OK, character!!! The formatting looked much nicer in the document, but hey. Problems, questions, shrieks of outrage all gratefully recieved.

[ Spoiler ]

Edits for Hung Out to Dry in blue
cndblank
Are you using a spreadsheet or program to generate the character?
cndblank
Will post full character tonight.
deek
Is there room for one more? I wouldn't mind joining the game.
JavaLamp
Okay, I'm temporarily closing the recruitment, Though depending on a couple people actually getting a hold of me and involved, I may re-open for a couple more.

Deek, Go ahead and pitch me your character idea, That'll give us 4, with 2 or 3 more possibly coming.. the folks I'm waiting to hear from.
deek
Here's my pitch:

Aldan Penrice was born and raised in England and awakened at the age of 14. He went through some accelerated schooling to hone his magic skills, focusing more on investigation, assensing and the like (read: not offensive attacks) and completed a Criminology degree in England. At 17, he was accepted into a graduate program at MIT&T, got into darker magic studies (a sort of learn the evils so you could better track and bring them to justice mentality).

During his graduate studies, he became fascinated with Japanese mythology and culture. He learned the language and couldn't learn enough of Japan. After finishing up his graduate degree, he traveled to Japan (I'm open to whether it was for a corporate job offer or some other "intriguing" magical mystery that piqued his interest) and began living in the country of his fascination.

So, basically a mage, focused on tracking and investigating magical "stuff". Do to some of the secrets he gets into, he focus on stealth, both in the physical world and on the astral. I see him working in the group as a scout, getting information, maybe help with disguises/concealment/invisiblity, etc. I'm not looking to be throwing a ton of mana to attack, may even take a Buddhist tradition and be much more passive, but I'm open to spinning that however it would work best.

Don't know if that will work or not, but if some things will and others won't I can certainly re-think a few things...
TakayamaYuuko
[ Spoiler ]
TakayamaYuuko
Oh, hey, I just remembered, though this may not have much of anything to do with anything.

This is February in Japan. Japan's on the same time zone as Korea, so even though it's further east than Vladivostok, it's an hour behind it. The sun goes down pretty early by our standards. If it's not dark already, it should be dark by 19:00.

Because it is at least farther south than Vlad by a good shot, I'm going to stop messing with your timeline now. 21:00 it is.
cndblank
Kit rough

Moved
deek
@JavaLamp

Do you think the character I pitched will fit in with your campaign ideas? If so, I can stat him up and send him your way...
cndblank
Kit less Rough

Still can not get a nice set of columns so it reads clear.

[ Spoiler ]
cndblank
I'm more then willing to adapt my character to complement any other spell casters in the group (or any other NPC) rather than duplicate each other.

Sounds like our characters backgrounds could intertwine at least one or two places.

Good groups need to complement each other and have enough in common to hold together until they have pissed off enough NPCs that they have no choice but to hang together.
deek
QUOTE (cndblank @ May 31 2009, 03:39 PM) *
I'm more then willing to adapt my character to complement any other spell casters in the group (or any other NPC) rather than duplicate each other.

Sounds like our characters backgrounds could intertwine at least one or two places.

Good groups need to complement each other and have enough in common to hold together until they have pissed off enough NPCs off that they have no choice but to hang together.

Yeah, I'm not thinking the two of us will step on each other's toes. I'm planning to have a really high assensing skill and focus more on summoning than spellcasting. You have good counterspelling and I was likely going to rely on a spirit for counterspelling...so from a group spellcasting perspective, I think we are covered pretty well.

I guess I was more curious if my background (an academic gaijin or foreigner, currently living in Japan) would work for JavaLamp. While my character should be able to handle himself well on shadowruns, he's not really been doing a ton of that type of work. I see his past jobs being more finding smuggled magical artifacts, astral scouting and information gathering... So I just wanted to make sure my concept was going to work with what JavaLamp had in mind...
deek
Aldan Penrice

[ Spoiler ]

Aldan has a Low lifestyle since he's been living and working in Japan. He still keeps a good appearance, but seeing he is hardly ever home, his apartment is pretty sparse.
JavaLamp
@deek and cndblank: both sound great, I haven't had a chance to read the stats yet though, probably all fine.
deek
QUOTE (JavaLamp @ May 29 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Okay, I'm temporarily closing the recruitment, Though depending on a couple people actually getting a hold of me and involved, I may re-open for a couple more.

Deek, Go ahead and pitch me your character idea, That'll give us 4, with 2 or 3 more possibly coming.. the folks I'm waiting to hear from.

So the 4 that I am counting is Kit and Aldan (a pair of complimentary mages, one focusing on spellcasting/counterspelling the other assensing/summoning), Isoro (a physical Adept) and Isako (Technomancer)...not a bad group so far!
JavaLamp
That's right, looks like an interesting group!
tarbrush
QUOTE (deek @ May 31 2009, 07:35 PM) *
MAGIC: 5 (64 BP, includes spell)

Those build points a bit tight then? smile.gif

And yes it should be fun group, rovided we nevepr lose initiative. All told our tanking capacity is exceeded by wet tissue paper.
deek
QUOTE (tarbrush @ Jun 2 2009, 08:29 AM) *
Those build points a bit tight then? smile.gif

And yes it should be fun group, rovided we nevepr lose initiative. All told our tanking capacity is exceeded by wet tissue paper.

Haha

Oddly enough, only picking six spells seemed a bit tight. But we have another spellcaster and I wanted to focus on stealth (physical mask and improved invis). And I have a hard time not working with a character with multiple IPs, so the pistol skill and sustaining focus took another bite out of me!

Yeah, right now, tanking is not a strong point, but I'm hoping we are tactically sound. And with a campaign focused on stealth, I'm thinking we won't have to tank much at all. I know my ass is going to be dropping for cover and have my spirits do work...otherwise I just plan to not be seen. That way, no one is targetting me for anything! We'll see how that works out:)
JavaLamp
@Yuuko Nothing on the Scan so far, you may have guessed that.

@All Players - Sorry for the current delay. I'm realizing my initial scenario is not as ready as my later scenarios.

Quick note, 'otaku' is being used in it's japanese context, that being easily approximated by 'geek'. The otaku of SR3... not sure how I'd refer to them, will figure that out if necessary.. probably would just use it but it'd be an 'old' term that would have to be specified, just like old usages are now.
deek
QUOTE (JavaLamp @ Jun 3 2009, 01:36 AM) *
Quick note, 'otaku' is being used in it's japanese context, that being easily approximated by 'geek'. The otaku of SR3... not sure how I'd refer to them, will figure that out if necessary.. probably would just use it but it'd be an 'old' term that would have to be specified, just like old usages are now.

Yeah, I kinda figured as such as I read that in your scene description. I didn't think there were a bunch of SR3 otaku's running around the festival:)
TakayamaYuuko
[ Spoiler ]
TakayamaYuuko
Tagged Object: An Interlude

Isako
March 4, Seiji 9 (2069)

ARC#ItM-Priv.GhostHunt
Log excerpt start: 18:35:00
Session Ident: #ItM-Priv

[18:35]<Mai> I suppose you've heard the latest from Naru already.
<Isako> Maybe. Go ahead and enlighten me anyway.

(Mai throws a cube over to Isako, where it unfolds into a vertical table display of several sites.)

<Mai> Three sightings in Neo-Tokyo meshes this week. And if you'll notice that one on the middle left there, one of them was supposedly a possession.
<Isako> Hee. So what, it downloaded itself into someone else's meat? What he do then? Kill somebody?
<Mai> Nothing so dramatic. Overlaid the guy's personality. They called a Buddhist exorcist in to no avail, but 48 hours on the nose, it evaporated.
<Isako> Pfft. I can't believe he hasn't been labeled a chiphead yet. If this was a mainstream outlet, he would've been. By the way, where are you?
[18:36] <Mai> Near the waterfront. In this block, there are three hundred twenty seven meshing nodes and one main router. Of these, twenty-nine devices are operating in hidden mode, including three drones and four cameras that are watching me.
<Isako> Keh. Aren't you popular tonight.
<Mai> And you don't have to tell me where you are, because I know already.

(A somewhat dark look passes over Isako's face.)

<Mai> We all have our specialties. Scanning is as good as any. Don't think I'll ever let you put one over on me again.

(Isako digs into one of the sites, seemingly reluctant to further discuss the superiority of Mai's Scan techniques. As she peruses them, a quiet but aggressive and building riff starts to drift around in the room. Mai stretches out in her chair.)

[18:40] <Mai> Practicing again, exactly as I thought.

(Isako looks up at Mai.) <Isako> You should take up bass. I bet you'd be good at it.
<Mai> On what basis?
<Isako> ENOZ had a Mai on bass.
<Mai> ENOZ? This must be another one of your ani-ota in-jokes I just don't get.
(Isako gestures and a bass guitar materializes in front of Mai.) <Isako> Give it a try, get used to the feel.
<Mai> I dunno. Isn't bass a little unrefined?
<Isako> Maeda of the 'Blazing Fist of Retribution', talking about unrefined... (she smirks)
<Mai> Geez, you don't have to put it that way.
(She lets it sit there a couple minutes, then reaches out and plucks a string.)

Bump.
cndblank
Couple of questions for GM

1)
Is there a permanent form of Nano Tattoos that doesn't involved a nano hive?

It just seems strange to lose a point of rating a week when a normal tattoo will last a life time.

2)
When do you expect initiation to be come available for the magical types?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012