Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spell: Morph
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Coldhand Jake
Morph
Type: P • Range: Self • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 2

Morph transforms a voluntary subject into a normal (non-critter) metahuman, though the subject retains
thier own consciousness. The subject can only assume the form of a person whose base Body rating is up to 2 points greater or less than her own. Add or subtract 1 from one of the caster's Physical Attribute Ratings or Charisma for every hit the caster generates. Normal Augmented Maxima apply. Her other Mental attributes remain unchanged. This spell does not transform clothing and equipment.

I realized there's a spell in SR that lets you turn into a wolf, but not one that lets you gender-swap or become an ork or elf for a night. So, thoughts?

EDIT: Made the spell not effect Base Stats, but augment values. This reins in the wildness a bit.
Tarantula
I'd also throw in that the character still uniquely looks like themselves, and offer a (F/2)+4 version that allows for impersonation of people. Might want to write out how it would affect the disguise skill too.
Jaid
not liking the "+force to 5 stats" ability this spell offers.

if you want a balanced spell, i'd go with something like:

morph
type: P range: <whatever> duration: sustained DV: <whatever>

this spell alters the physical appearance of a metahuman to another metahuman of (potentially) any gender or species. the new form must have a body attribute within 2 points of the original metahuman's body attribute. this spell confers a +1 bonus to disguise checks made by the caster per net hit. this spell does not transform clothing or equipment, and does not alter the subject's attributes.

(i also considered the mechanic of increasing threshold of perception checks to penetrate the disguise, but figured that might be a little too much)

(i didn't allow for the improvement of charisma because that's just silly, imo. bonus to social tests vs certain targets, sure... but an overall improvement to charisma is just silly)
Ravor
I like Jaid's version of the spell personally. However something to remember is that magic really isn't that useful for serious disguises even against mundane targets with some of the toys in ARSE.
Coldhand Jake
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 31 2008, 12:20 PM) *
not liking the "+force to 5 stats" ability this spell offers.

if you want a balanced spell, i'd go with something like:

morph
type: P range: <whatever> duration: sustained DV: <whatever>

this spell alters the physical appearance of a metahuman to another metahuman of (potentially) any gender or species. the new form must have a body attribute within 2 points of the original metahuman's body attribute. this spell confers a +1 bonus to disguise checks made by the caster per net hit. this spell does not transform clothing or equipment, and does not alter the subject's attributes.

(i also considered the mechanic of increasing threshold of perception checks to penetrate the disguise, but figured that might be a little too much)

(i didn't allow for the improvement of charisma because that's just silly, imo. bonus to social tests vs certain targets, sure... but an overall improvement to charisma is just silly)

So, 5 hits, meaning +2 Charisma, +1 Agility and -1 Strength and Body to become a thinner, sexier, smaller female form is broken or silly?
Fortune
n/m
Coldhand Jake
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 31 2008, 12:42 PM) *
I like Jaid's version of the spell personally. However something to remember is that magic really isn't that useful for serious disguises even against mundane targets with some of the toys in ARSE.

I like it too, but at that point you're basically getting the same effect as Physical Mask. Which I also recommend for people who would take this spell, but no amount of Physical Mask's going to get your junk moved, flipped, and inverted for some things a infiltrator face has to do sometimes...so I made this.
Tarantula
Those same 5 hits could be used as +5 charisma instead.
Coldhand Jake
That is an issue. Maybe...the net changes have to even out? Hm. Or only a number of changes equal to Force, for a total shift of no more than 1/2 Force? Hm. Help me polish this.
pbangarth
The zero-sum idea for changes makes sense to me. As far as raising Charisma by 5, there already exists a spell that does that, though admittedly only that, so how would that particular effect be so bad?

Peter
WeaverMount
Zero sum is good, I would also say it can't raise an attribute that is less than it's force, per the other boost spells.
Coldhand Jake
Looking good so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012