Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybernetic legs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

I was looking through Augmentation and I still can't really find what I was looking for. Perhaps I am being blind, is there a way to have a character make giant leaps, what about consistently running 50mph?

-Chrysalis
ElFenrir
hmm....hydraulic jacks help with jumping by adding their dice to jumping checks(based on Agility) But running 50 MPH I think is even beyond that.

I had made a guy in another thread for Prime Runners, and he had a modified strength of 13(16 in military armor-and he had qualities and genetech to help with this) with Satyr Legs(equivalent of raptor legs), and military armor with hydraulic jacks. His base move in combat was 37(if running), and he rolled a lot of dice to try to increase that...but I don't think it's 50 MPH. Keep in mind he was also a 800 BP character. Doing this at the start would be very, very, very difficult and said character would be a one trick pony of running and jumping. My fellow could roll his Agility(10), + Gymnastics(modified 6), plus Satyr Leg bonus(2 for gymnastics), and if he had the armor on, +6 more for Hydraulic Jacks, for a total of 24 dice for jumping tests. However, in the SR4 book, characters have a maximum jumping distance based on Agility, so for big jumps, Agility is the stat to tweak. For a running jump, the max distance one can do is Agilityx1.5, so a 10 agility can only hope to jump a max of 15 meters. This is amazingly far(45 feet), but not quite the manga-esque jumps one might think.

To run, a character makes a running + strength test, and each hit adds 2 meters to their run rate(which is measured per turn-not inititative pass, keep in mind, the full turn.)

Honestly? If you want to make a character go fast, get Inline Skates and some sort of rocket booster. I'm sure a clever rigger could rig one up. grinbig.gif If not the boosters(a little out there, I admit), Inline Skates would be a much better bet than plain running.
Cain
Well, a movement rate of 37 more or less equals a speed of 27.6 MPH. So, we need to double our speed in order to hit 50mph.

If we make the character a mystic adept, give him adept powers for running and the ability to summon a Force 2 spirit with Movement. Between those two, that should do it.
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Nov 3 2008, 06:51 PM) *
hmm....hydraulic jacks help with jumping by adding their dice to jumping checks(based on Agility) But running 50 MPH I think is even beyond that.

I had made a guy in another thread for Prime Runners, and he had a modified strength of 13(16 in military armor-and he had qualities and genetech to help with this) with Satyr Legs(equivalent of raptor legs), and military armor with hydraulic jacks. His base move in combat was 37(if running), and he rolled a lot of dice to try to increase that...but I don't think it's 50 MPH. Keep in mind he was also a 800 BP character. Doing this at the start would be very, very, very difficult and said character would be a one trick pony of running and jumping. My fellow could roll his Agility(10), + Gymnastics(modified 6), plus Satyr Leg bonus(2 for gymnastics), and if he had the armor on, +6 more for Hydraulic Jacks, for a total of 24 dice for jumping tests. However, in the SR4 book, characters have a maximum jumping distance based on Agility, so for big jumps, Agility is the stat to tweak. For a running jump, the max distance one can do is Agilityx1.5, so a 10 agility can only hope to jump a max of 15 meters. This is amazingly far(45 feet), but not quite the manga-esque jumps one might think.

To run, a character makes a running + strength test, and each hit adds 2 meters to their run rate(which is measured per turn-not inititative pass, keep in mind, the full turn.)

Honestly? If you want to make a character go fast, get Inline Skates and some sort of rocket booster. I'm sure a clever rigger could rig one up. grinbig.gif If not the boosters(a little out there, I admit), Inline Skates would be a much better bet than plain running.

Are Satyr Legs the SR4 version of the Kid Stealth cyberlegs? Those were the fast running models for SR3. I think there's some other cyberleg optimization in Augmentation that improves running too, but I don't recall. I've never done any of the math so I don't know if any of that could help get you close to 50mph, but it's worth a try.
Heath Robinson
Strap a pair of Ferret RPD-1Xs to your feet.
Squinky
This may not be what you are going for, but you might try making an AI character in a drone body. They can have lots of speed mods, and you may even be able to justify getting those cyberleg mods on them as well smile.gif
Tarantula
Raptor legs increase running/walking rate by 1.5x.
Trolls have a base 35m/turn. (SR4, 138).
35x1.5=52.5
52.5m/3sec = 17.5 m/sec.
17.5m/sec = 39mph.

50mph = 22.352m/sec
22.352m/sec = 67m/turn.

So, he would need to be able to consistently make 14 successes on a sprinting test to maintain 50mph running. Of course, if we just give him cyberskates on the raptor legs isntead... he gets another 1.5x and goes 78m/turn skating. Or 26m/sec. Or 58mph on skates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012