Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sort of a dungeon crawl for SR. I need some ideas.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BRodda
Ok guys who play in my game, no peeking.

Everyone else I can use some advice.

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Well there aren't a lot of power sources that are going to last a decade, assuming that by 'bunker' you mean self sustaining. Bear that in mind, unless he's got a powerline tap somehwere. Even with that, a lot could happen in a decade.
crash2029
Hmm...

[ Spoiler ]
BRodda
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Nov 4 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Well there aren't a lot of power sources that are going to last a decade, assuming that by 'bunker' you mean self sustaining. Bear that in mind, unless he's got a powerline tap somehwere. Even with that, a lot could happen in a decade.

It has a power tap. He tapped directly into the Crime Mall's power lines. He figured that nothing short of a tac nuke would interupt that feed.
BRodda
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Nov 4 2008, 03:36 PM) *
Hmm...

[ Spoiler ]

There are ghouls in the area. That is what got the repair crew and chased them through a couple access tunnels to end up at the sentry guns.

Still I don't want the place "infested". I wanted more of a undisturbed feel. That, "no one or nothing has made it this far" kind of vibe. I don't think that the good Captain would have made something that ghouls could have broken into. I also want the defenses to have a definite "hacker/techno" vibe to it. Puzzles and the bomb thing would be great though.

Also my players are only on their 3rd game and even 1 bug spirit would rip them to shreds as they have NO magic.
Dumori
Would they have matrix access?? Then again there could be firber-optic ports in the place as it was biult in the 50's. Give them a puzzle slash riddle some thing only a friend of chaos would have knoiw at the time but by now could be wide knowledge could be any thing like that so they need to run a data surch to find out. May be its really simple but the puzzel looks much harder. Have to work out side the box so say you have to slide some thing on a grid past fixed spots though nothing stops you from slideing the pieces off the grid and putting back where needed ect have them on a touch screen for the techno vied or even in VR. if the techno is good matrix wise you could have a meat and cyber puzzle where the have to do thungs at the same time in different places to open drones may be though outdated drones/ IC at them. If I was you I would make it so if they want they can take over the safe-house for there own use. Adds to the rewards and feeling of purpose after they work though this self sustained safe house. Food wise would have to have a drone powered krill tank or such and tap into an underground stream/pipes
Wesley Street
I recommend creating a "dungeon" modeled after Hell in Dante's Divine Comedy or some other horrid place in those hoity-toity works of classical literature they make you read in high school English. If this is a bunker built by hacker nerds that would be the kind of pseudo-intellectual exercise a geek would pursue and torture others with.
AllTheNothing
crash2029 goes for the survival horror so I'll point that needs not to be that (yes I know you said a Sammy). Being in the underground below the barrens it could have some smugling operation wrecked by the Crash 2.0, which could give the PCs some tools (and toys) to play with. Naturaly in a such enviroment there are hungry critter that require some handling, not bacause is logical (down there in a place like that probably there's not much life, much less life evolved enough to bite you) but to keep your players on their toes; some ghouls might do but I would avoid them (unless your players want to play an infected) for risk of contagion, leaving you with critters like devil rats end little else (until running wild comes out it's a bit hard to find something that would live down there and is not too nasty for two mundanes), or maybe some survivor from the smugling operation turned "quirky" by enforced isolation could provide unexpected developments (for good or for ill).
Much of the problem should get out of there, like a mega-puzzle; and staying alive there, not much for combat but raw survival: find food (if the thing takes long) and drinkble water, avoiding/curing infections (I'm not refering to HMHVV), dealing with toxic gases. There's alot of stuff that must be dealt with and doesn't involve combat (and again I suggest the smugling operation to provide the tools for handling it); the challange should require so serious phisical feats to let the sammy shine, and some tech that requires the 'mancer touch.
The whole thing needs not to be a single non-stop exploration affair; the barren were blasted by vulcanoes many years ago and syndacates have duked it out over them, so probably there's not much in terms of secret labs or secret facilities, but who knows maybe some secret base of the CIA from when the USA were still there. There might be reason to return down there after you get out, maybe you've shaken the wrong gravestone and you have to find out what kind of dreck hit the fun.
My last suggestion is to make it heavy on RP; the characters are in a very stressfull situation, have the players explore characters psiche, their wishes, their hopes, their fears. Play on tension and use the whole mess to forge a stronger bond betwen the PCs, dungeon crawler are generaly lacking in terms of deph and this can make them boring, going psicological with adventure/puzzle-solving and survival (and maybe horror) elements should keep the thing interesting.

OK, this are my 0.02 nuyen.gif , I hope to have been usefull.

In bocca al lupo per il tuo scenario.
crash2029
Hmm...not infested and untouched. I guess you want automated security type stuff then. Well, you could include a variation on a classic logic scenario. Two doors, one leads to doom, one leads to freedom. Two guards of the doors, one speaks only truth, the other only lies. I saw that one done really well in an episode of Doctor Who (incidentally that episode was Pyramids of Mars, fourth Doctor). An area of collapsing tiles with numbers one through nine on them. The only way to get across is to figure out the pattern. Make it a little more difficult than simple counting. Like maybe 1,1,2,3,5,8,1,1,2,3,5,8,1,1,etc,etc. A timer counting down to something bad that has two buttons 0 and 1. A door that has a large rectangular area cut out of it, and next to it a bin holding a variety of geometric shapes; cubes, sticks, L's, squared off S's, T's, etc. An impenetrable door that has written on it "In order to proceed, one must face the past." The only way to open the door is either to tell it to remain locked or to try to open it while facing away from it. A corridor with motion sensors and many flasks of lye affixed to the ceiling and "Haste makes waste" written on the wall. If they move through at more than a slow walk the flasks drop on them. Maybe an agent intended to defent the installation evolved into a metasapient or xenosapient AI construct. Maybe the AI went a little nuts with no matrix access for so many years and decides to torment those who enter it's domain.
Sir_Psycho
Don't forget that if it's Captain Chaos bunker, the tech will all be archaic non-wireless gear, completely outdated and probably not technomancer compatible. Maybe have one of the complications being the technomancer trying to construct an interface that will give him access.

Also, because you have a sam, you'll want something involving combat. Maybe some devil rats got in during some tectonic plate movement, which suggests that if the runners press on they'll find a way out, allowing you as the GM to goad them through the situation. Also, when they get there, they may have to find a way out. Maybe the only exit is into an underground reservoir or grotto, so some swimming and survival horror elements might be involved (will also mean that they won't take bags and bags of loot)
Drogos
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 5 2008, 09:28 AM) *
Don't forget that if it's Captain Chaos bunker, the tech will all be archaic non-wireless gear, completely outdated and probably not technomancer compatible. Maybe have one of the complications being the technomancer trying to construct an interface that will give him access.

Also, because you have a sam, you'll want something involving combat. Maybe some devil rats got in during some tectonic plate movement, which suggests that if the runners press on they'll find a way out, allowing you as the GM to goad them through the situation. Also, when they get there, they may have to find a way out. Maybe the only exit is into an underground reservoir or grotto, so some swimming and survival horror elements might be involved (will also mean that they won't take bags and bags of loot)

I'll second all of these ideas (especially the bolded ones) and echo what was said about having this bunker later available for a possible crash pad/base of operations for the pair. If you allow them a secondary exit through difficult terrain, this keeps the phat lewt inside the bunker for a future expedition where the team is more prepared and allows them access when needed.

I strongly suggest utilizing the gun turrets on rails drone from Rigger 3. They were basically gun turrets that were hardwird into the system and ran on rails to ensure that the normal Rigger techniques of signal jamming were useless against them. What other skills besides combat does your Sam have that your Techno doesn't. If you provide stats, we can better help you tailor the scenario for fun and danger. A simple grenade falls from a tube in the ceiling can be a wonderous trap that takes little real effort to set up (and defeat once spotted). Add that with tight corridors if you have a Sam with extremely high resistance to damage. Just one of those little things going off (not near them, but in their sight) and that'll make him the 'rogue' (scout ahead for traps) of the two. Puzzles are fun, but make sure you don't make them too arcane. Cave ins or inoperable doors should also be an issue that the Sam can provide a solution to.

It really depends on how massive you want this bunker to be. So serve as a hidden node for shadowland, it would only need to have 3 or 4 rooms tops. Also, be careful about what they find on the node. I would just say that the computer is currently inoperable and that they need specialized gear to get it back up and running, thus providing incentive to return.
ravensoracle
A lot of elements can be added in this run to give it grat atmosphere. I would be very descriptive about what the PC's find here.

For Example: As the PC's appraoch a corner it is apparent the devil rats one time occupied the bunker, carcasses are piled nearly waste high in what you assume to be a nest of rags and debri.

(With a good perception check add the folloowing.) As you get closer you realise that the nest is not really a nest but a pile of decayed bodies. Most are just skeletal remains but rotted clothing and rusted gear are attached to s few humanoid figures. You notice that bullet holes line the wall as if a firefight took place here. The bullets originating from somewhere around the corner.

THe remains found could be from a drone mounted around the corner. This may also net them some needed gear. It may be old but there may be some rations that were foil sealed. Perhaps as an added element there are only a few rounds remaining in the magazine. The PC's won't know it but just letting the drone fire away for a few rounds will empty the mag letting them by with ease.

I am not sure you would want to let the PC's get a hold of a part of Shadowlands database, maybe having some of the roof collapsed onto the sever would not allow the PC's to access it. Of course they could sell the damaged Hard Drives to someone who could possible recover some of the info for a nice profit. It would be an adventure in itself trying to prove the damaged drives were from a shadowland server without giving away the location.

Also add some geek elements, wire a quote form a famous geek source above a keypad with only a one and a zero for keys. The code is the response to the quote typed im binary. Very geekish.

Kerris
Three words:

Rogue A.I.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012