Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is tossing someone over a fence Athletics or Throw
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pthgar
I thought we might get a majority rule since we can't ask Jordan Weisman or Mike Mulvhill.
Tanka
If this forum could display pictures, I'd definately have some farmer beating his dead horse.
toturi
Who the hell voted Launch?!

eek.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (SR3 @ p. 86)
Launch Weapons (Intelligence)
This skill covers the use and targetting of any device [eg arms] that fires a missile, rocket or other explosive projectile [eg elf loaded with EX-Ex, grenades and C-12] [...]

I ain't revealing what I voted, though. biggrin.gif
mfb
right. so, Launch is for when the metahuman to be propelled ate chili last night.
Tanka
The new international pasttime! Metahuman Slingshot!
Rock-Steady
I would say nothing of the choices above.

It's Martial Arts with the Throw option *g*
mfb
...hm. also sensible.
Fix-it
QUOTE (tanka)
The new international pasttime! Metahuman Slingshot!

hammer throw= more distance. biggrin.gif
Tanka
Dwarf Tossing, anyone?
GoldenAri
Wouldn't it be Athletics if your concerned with distance, and Throwing if your concerned with accuracy. Maybe using the other skill as a complentary skill.
Phaeton
QUOTE (tanka)
Dwarf Tossing, anyone?

rotfl.gif
Mal-2
My response depends on what's going on. If the situation is forming a stirrup and assisting someone in a jump, then the thrower uses Athletics as a complimentary skill to the jumper's Athletics test. If the thrower is picking someone up, and attempting to toss them bodily (i.e., dwarf tossing) it's a Thrown Weapons skill.

Mal-2
BitBasher
How about an option for "Strength Roll" Because I dont think any of these options are right, its just a simple matter of strength.
Fortune
QUOTE (BitBasher)
How about an option for "Strength Roll" Because I dont think any of these options are right, its just a simple matter of strength.

If the Troll was just throwing the Adept (with the Adept not giving any aid), then I'd agree it is just a matter of Strength. As it is though, there the matter of timing their actions to coincide, which is not just a matter of Strength.
Pthgar
Dance, puppets! Dance! biggrin.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Dec 29 2003, 03:12 PM)

If the Troll was just throwing the Adept (with the Adept not giving any aid), then I'd agree it is just a matter of Strength. As it is though, there the matter of timing their actions to coincide, which is not just a matter of Strength.

Right fortune, but all the poll read was "Tossing someone over a fence" not "Boosting" or "assisting" this implies it is literally chucking a dead weight.
Fortune
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Right fortune, but all the poll read was "Tossing someone over a fence" not "Boosting" or "assisting" this implies it is literally chucking a dead weight.

That's true, but this whole poll question was in relation to the other thread, which described a specific situation. smile.gif
Zazen
Well an option for Strength makes a lot more sense than an option for Launch Weapons, that's for sure.
BitBasher
I just read back and theres no link to, or direct reference to another thread... kinda like an inside joke biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I just read back and theres no link to, or direct reference to another thread... kinda like an inside joke biggrin.gif

I guess the references to a 'majority rule', 'vote to end (or fuel) the debate', and 'beating a dead horse' weren't clue enough. Here is the thread in question. biggrin.gif
BitBasher
Thanks!

..ATHLETICS!

GOOD NIGHT! biggrin.gif
Lilt
Excuse me? We're having a discussion in the other thread. Uzerping it with a poll isn't entierly helpful and not everyone reading this thread knows the source of the question (or of the discussion that has already taken place).
Austere Emancipator
We're not having a discussion here, so this ain't usurping anything. And I still think the other thread isn't the least bit helpful, either, so no harm's been done. wink.gif
Lilt
Sorry, I was going on the bit where he was trying to end the debait. And I would say that the other thread is useful as far too many people have misconceptions about what the Athletics skill does.

Even respected members of the community seem to think that it covers performing actions which it dosen't. Athletics covers training and honing the body to perform extreme physical activities. It does not cover playing every sport there ever was, it can help certain sports though by increasing endurance and running speed (which in some cases is all that matters).
Pthgar
I was going to post something sarcastic, but I thought it would get me into trouble. For once mt good sense has beat my sense of humor. Really this whole poll is absurd.
BumsofTacoma
QUOTE (tanka)
Dwarf Tossing, anyone?

dwarf punt kicking was my specialty. That and swing people around by the ankles and smashing them into the corner of a wall/desk/etc.
Rev
QUOTE (Lilt @ Dec 29 2003, 05:36 PM)
Athletics covers training and honing the body to perform extreme physical activities. It does not cover playing every sport there ever was.

Better tell that to the people who wrote the book and made specific sports specializations of athletics. If each specific sport is a specilization the general skill must cover all sports. Thats what specialization means.

Not a great approximation of reality, but who cares what sports people can play in shadowrun.
Herald of Verjigorm
Does Edged Weapons(Chisel) cover every possible use of a chisel? If not, then the sporting specializations is just focusing on the athletic portions most neccessary for that sport. If so, then do I get to use combat pool to properly sculpt?
BumsofTacoma
oh my.......

Myabe if the object you are chiseling is awakened...

smart ass biggrin.gif
Hasaku
Only if you're some kind of modern art freak and work by attempting to kill your block of stone. nyahnyah.gif

In which case you might want to pick up Negotiation (Fast Talk) and BK: Modern Art so you can BS gallery owners into taking you seriously.
Herald of Verjigorm
You also want a good thesaurus to find other words for: angst, despair, pain and futility.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012