Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recoil and Vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thadeus Bearpaw
So what is the recoil for weapons when fired from a vehicle. I have a player playing a Drone Rigger and he wants to put a minigun on his slipvan. He has a normal internal flexible weapon mount. If I'm not mistakent he gun when firing would have -13 due to recoil on the first shot (the first round is free and than is spits out 13 more). Now does the weapon mount not offer any Recoil Compesation? Is Gas-vent, gyro stabilization, and the like the only way to decrease the recoil on this gun (Its a GE Vindicator by the way). A gun port gives 4 points of recoil compensation and that seems less securely fastened than the weapon mount. How does this work? How does it work for his drones and the like? It seems like if the recoil compensation for a minigun is that high and thins like gyro-stabilization aren't tenable due to the way in which the gun is fashioned, than having a minigun on a vehicle would never come up.
Jaid
well, depending on whether this passes your GM's common sense-o-meter, it either doesn't suffer recoil at all or it has recoil compensation equal to the vehicle's body (for example, if you put a HMG minigun on a motorcycle, technically the rules say there's no recoil penalties, but it's suggested to give recoil comp equal to the vehicle's body instead).

so in this case, i would say that simply removing recoil from the equation altogether sounds pretty reasonable; a stepvan (i assume that's what you meant) isn't exactly light.
Thadeus Bearpaw
Yeah I agree, logically you'd think there'd be very little recoil. Otherwise, how would one use those types of weapons with any reliability from the back of a humvee, blackhawk or whatever. I have a buddy in the military and he said firing from the back of his fifty call was only difficult when the driver was making very evasive maneuvers and that, that had nothing to do with recoil. He said the recoil even firing full auto was minimal and the biggest distraction to accuracy was the volume of hot casings flying around. So I agree witht he logical real-world aspect of it. The problem is, I'm not running this game but I'm helping my newbie friend with his Drone Rigger build. There is also still the issue of having a machine gun mounted on an LEBD drone or Doberman that I'm curious about. You still reckon body ought to count as recoil in an LEBD drone when its armor is 6? Should both count? Where in the rules is stated so I can have a RAW argument with my GM? I'm not trying to challenge what you said, I agree with you. Also it was a slipvan to which I earlier referred.
RobertB
From page 105 of Arsenal under Vehicle Weapons and Recoil, "Theoretically, vehicle weapons mounted in a weapon mount
(p. 146) do not suff er negative recoil modifiers, but this can lead to strange results when a very large gun is mounted on a very small vehicle. For example it is possible to install a weapon mount with an LMG onto a small drone with a body rating of 2 (cat-sized) and suff ering no recoil eff ects from full auto fi re, where a normal human would have trouble holding the weapon let alone successfully hitting anything. In instances like this, it is perfectly all right for the gamemaster to apply negative modifiers equal to those a person shooting the weapon would suffer from recoil, counting in the vehicle’s mass (as a rule of thumb: its Body rating) as recoil compensation."

Robert (aka Spanner)
Thadeus Bearpaw
QUOTE (RobertB @ Nov 6 2008, 08:24 AM) *
From page 105 of Arsenal under Vehicle Weapons and Recoil, "Theoretically, vehicle weapons mounted in a weapon mount
(p. 146) do not suff er negative recoil modifiers, but this can lead to strange results when a very large gun is mounted on a very small vehicle. For example it is possible to install a weapon mount with an LMG onto a small drone with a body rating of 2 (cat-sized) and suff ering no recoil eff ects from full auto fi re, where a normal human would have trouble holding the weapon let alone successfully hitting anything. In instances like this, it is perfectly all right for the gamemaster to apply negative modifiers equal to those a person shooting the weapon would suffer from recoil, counting in the vehicle’s mass (as a rule of thumb: its Body rating) as recoil compensation."

Robert (aka Spanner)

Great!! That's precisely what I needed. Thank you very much man. This solves a problem in my game as player and my other game as GM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012