Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner's Toolkit?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cardul
From the shadowrun4.com blog:

On the Shadowrun side … bashing through Feral Cities corrections, and getting Dawn of the Artifacts: Dusk off to layout. All the art for Dusk is in, as well as Sean’s totally awesome maps. Matt Heerdt, who’s been doing some stellar work on the BatteTech line for us is working on the cover, and his wife Alicia is going to be handling the internal layout. I should be able to sit back and just let this one roll in, while I work on the Runner’s Toolkit.

The important line was bolded...

Has anyone heard anything about this? Anyone know what kind of book it is going to be? As in is it going to be a Runner's COmpanion 2, or is it going to be something like a gear book of non-normal gear?or what?
Malachi
I don't know. I think he's teasing us on purpose.
DireRadiant
Interesting. I look forward to seeing the speculation.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Nov 6 2008, 03:53 PM) *
Interesting. I look forward to seeing the speculation.

I speculate it is not a book at all, but a set of fully functional pieces of equipment commonly used by shadowrunners.
Stahlseele
maybe something like an official character generator, node creater, comlink creater, gun or vehicle creater, spell creater, ghost creater . . or maybe all in one?
Stahlkörper
I agree. "Runner's Toolkit" sounds much like a computer program. Maybe it will be useful for character creation and/or creating vehicles and drones. I think, it will mostly be for players, not gamemasters, cause of the "Runner's" in the name.
Muspellsheimr
I still prefer my idea, regardless of how unlikely it is. I would love to have a functional commlink & maglock passkey.
Sir_Psycho
To derail the thread, what else would you want in a runner's tookit?
Certified credstick that doubles as a laser microphone?
Cardul
Except that a) Adam Jury is working on it, b) CGL cannot make a character creator because Micro-squish owns the license for electronic SR media, and c) I am pretty sure it was stated somewhere that CGL cannot make something like an electronic Character Creator.
Ancient History
The first rule of Runner's Toolkit is, you do not talk about Runner's Toolkit.

Seriously. NDA applies.
Adam
QUOTE (Cardul @ Nov 6 2008, 07:36 PM) *
Except that a) Adam Jury is working on it, b) CGL cannot make a character creator because Micro-squish owns the license for electronic SR media, and c) I am pretty sure it was stated somewhere that CGL cannot make something like an electronic Character Creator.

There are additional licensing entanglements with us producing electronic game aids for Shadowrun, but it's not impossible.

The Toolkit was talked about at Gen Con. Such a short memory, chaps? Guess you'll have to wait a bit longer... wink.gif
Stahlseele
wasn't there(i am located in germany), and i don't think i saw something like that in con reports either . . care to repeat whatever was said there? pretty please? ^^
Adam
There are some threads that have some .. scant ... details about it. More later.

[And btw, I didn't "slip up." wink.gif]
Sir_Psycho
Wasn't there a rumour, or more accurately, an aspiration, that CGL were outsourcing a comprehensive character generator to a software firm that have a good track record of working with other PnP RPG's? I don't really remember a verdict either way.

It sure would be nice to have a streamlined and comprehensive tool, as right now I have to split my chargen between Daegan's SR4gen and Chrysalis' excel comprehensive gear table and calculator. The main problems are that Chrysalis' excel document is a little confusing for my players, who are less versed in Shadowrun than myself, and Daegann's generator requires modification every time you want to add anything from augmentation, arsenal and unwired. Also there's a few things it doesn't do, like calculate essence changes due to qualities like biocompatibility, and it's html output is a little too simple. Just nitpickings, I know, but I'd probably shell out a few e-dollars for a killer all-in-one app.

So back to realistic aspirations, what will be in the Runner's Toolkit? DIY cyber-eye installation? free meter length of monowire with every purchase over forty dollars?
Prime Mover
I seem to remeber this being brought up with either the new gm screen or a starter set for new players, IRC it was somthing mentioned back around Gen Con already.
kzt
There was a discussion several gencons ago about doing an interactive pdf version of the character dossier...
Blade
Gamemaster's toolkit
Synner
The initial concept as presented at GenCon has been revised and expanded to include goodies for everyone and not just gamemasters. More soon...
Cardul
QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 6 2008, 07:53 PM) *
There are additional licensing entanglements with us producing electronic game aids for Shadowrun, but it's not impossible.

The Toolkit was talked about at Gen Con. Such a short memory, chaps? Guess you'll have to wait a bit longer... wink.gif

Hey! Not my fault you guys, for the first time since FASA closed its doors, did not record the "what's up with Shadowrun!" seminar and put the pod cast up on the main page! wink.gif I looked forward to that every year since I cannot get to GenCon frown.gif
Malachi
I remember listening to a brief podcast recorded at a conference (I think it was GenCon). The podcast split time talking about SR and Battletech, and sounded like it was recorded standing next to a freeway, but other than that it was good.

It was recorded by some program called 2d6 feet in a random direction or some such.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012