Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: opposing skill test
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

So I was thinking on having my character do street dancing as her secret artisan hobby. So, how do you determine who is the winner? Who gets the 500 nuyen prize and who walks home with 5000 nuyen and an invite to the city championships?

Fuchs
Compare the hits from a gymnastic (dance) test?
Fuchs
Alternatively, if it's an important aspect of your character, treat it like a battle, with Charisma determining the "damage track" instead of con, and agility determining the base "DV" instead of strength, and have dancers go at it until one side is defeated, representing various moves and tricks used during the contest to win the audience over.
masterofm
You could handle this in so many ways. For instance a gymnastic roll, maybe followed by an intimidation roll. Then maybe spruce it up with a etiquette or leadership roll to get the crowd pumped up for your side. Make it a few rolls as generally it takes more then three seconds to "bust out" the moves (maybe 5-6 opposing tests) take the net results and see who wins.

Have the characters make rolls if the players pitch something good. Like for instance after you make an awesome gymnastic roll your character stands up looks the other person square in the eyes with an air of confidence and then having the rest of your dance team teamwork a leadership or etiquette test to have the audience cheer your moves. Or just make one roll and have them make one roll and whoever wins that roll wins.
Muspellsheimr
Fuchs combat idea is interesting, but to keep things simple, I would handle it as a series of opposed Gymnastics (Dance) rolls, with cumulative Hits. Simply determine who won by who had the most Hits.
DWC
Got a slight modification to Fuchs' system for y'all.

How about treating each Dance check as an attack with a base power of 0, resisted by the opposing dancer's Charisma. Build a morale damage track based on Willpower, with the appropriate "wound" penalties to subsequent dance checks, and you're good to go.

Fortune
I would just set a Threshold, then do Extended tests (Agility + Gymnastics (Dance)) for each dancer until one of them met it.
Cain
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 7 2008, 04:58 PM) *
I would just set a Threshold, then do Extended tests (Agility + Gymnastics (Dance)) for each dancer until one of them met it.

I agree. No sense in overcomplicating things.
Drogos
Roll a few dice then watch Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo biggrin.gif
Tachi
QUOTE (Drogos @ Nov 8 2008, 05:39 AM) *
Roll a few dice then watch Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo biggrin.gif

Dear lord. And here I thought I'd seen the last of that travesty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012