Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game Session Music
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TKDNinjaInBlack
Alright, I've looked over 3 or 4 other topics that have been posted in the past 3 months or so dealing with music, but none of them really capture what I am looking for out of the posters. I also thought it would be far more appropriate to start a new thread instead of hijacking another and bumping back up top.

So, here's the rundown of what I am looking for in this thread.

1) What music do you listen to when you game? Genres and band names as examples are greatly appreciated.

2) Do you let the music continuously play as a dull roar or BGM, or do you break it up for different aspects of the run? Ergo, do you have a playlist for individual situations like combat situations, hand to hand battle, walking the streets, mystic fantasy elements, spooky survival horror suspense moments, etc etc, or do you just let a list play through?

3) What kind of music do you hear IRL and instantly think of SR? This is what actually drove this post. I was watching the latest episode of Star Wars the Clone Wars that I had taped and realized that for BGM it's either really downbeat, kinda dark and moody but very melodic, or in an action sequence it's very harsh fast paced energetic techno. I was paying close attention and realized both of these would be awesome for SR game music in both regards (battle and legwork) and started looking for a soundtrack. Same thing with GiTS:SAC.

Enjoy:)
Neraph
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/

Have fun.
Wesley Street
Other than certain parts of a game (say, in a night club or an elevator [Girl From Ipanema]) no. I've tried it for awhile but I'm starting to find that it doesn't add much to combat sessions other than irritation.

I'm not really one for genre conversations or "this is Shadowrun music" or "this isn't Shadowrun music". I'd say use whatever feels right, even if it's dated or goofy. I think a lot of (but not all) techno music sucks so I tend to avoid it. For once, I'd like to see a (post)cyberpunk movie that didn't have a score done by Juno Reactor. Just Imagine... Johnny Mnemonic The Soundtrack by Gretchen Wilson.
Namelessjoe
Hi.... we typically listen to BGM we use technoish music depending on the run and our mood we also listen to alot of soundtracks or sound track remixes ... as for combat versus other if its going to be a big fight somtimes it will be more aggresive music for the evening( or maybe more aggresive music makes us more hostil?) it still just playes through....

IRL usally music that makes me think SR or inspires me about it is electronica and heavely digitised other music like for example the aperfict circle remix album(i cant remember the name here at work)
Chrysalis
Reservoir Dogs soundtrack
Thadeus Bearpaw
My players absolutely love music for the game, over time we develop themes for our characters when they have the spotlight and its often times a subtle clue that that player has the floor. Combat scenes are grealt enhanced in mood with some Prodigy, Pendulum, or Orgy playing in the background. When they got a club for a meet and greet they hearing thumping D&B and get a little more in the mood, when theyr'e at a dinner function and hear sweeping soundtracks from a number of soundtracks (such as Hannibal or the Ninth Gate) they get in the mood. When they hearing similarly creepy music during a horror bit it does just that little bit of psychological undertones of mood. The only player that has a problem with it really is a player who's very hard of hearing and he typically sits right next to me so I can tell him things. I love music in our game, the players love getting themes for their characters and all in all it works great.

Stuff that gets used often:
Soundtracks from Hannibal, The Ninth Gate, and Half-lifes 1,2 and all episodes.
Any Prodigy
Pendulum - Hold your Colours
As I lay Dying, Bleeding Through, Demon Hunter, Norma-Jean, and Haste the Day (when you're going for intensity rather than high octane). Sigur Ros, The Flashbulb - Soundtrack to a Vacant Life and similar quiet eletronic music during times when the group is buying stuff, spending karma and the like. Massive Attacks, Sneak Pimps and similar electronic music during the planning of Runs and the execution of things until the shit hits the fan.

Alot of the characters who have been a game for a while have themes
Jaqueline "Jackie" Bordeaux: Our resident Quebequa (sp?) fashionista and face roles with some Alizee - Decollage
Nathan "Gnat" Jones: Our twitchy brainfried technomancer who's the best hacker this side of the trix rolls some Venetian Snares - Pwntendo.
John Preston: Gunbunny extordinare was always about bringing the rain which made me think of the As I lay Dying video for the song Confined.

I can't think of all of them. So many PCs floating about now.
Rasumichin
Pendulum?
These guys absolutely rock.
Bought the The Other Side 12" last month and absolutely love it.

As far as other BGM is concerned, or generally music i find inspiring for SR, i recommend DJ Shadow's second album The Private Press.

As most people prefer instrumental music as BGM, i also urge anyone even remotely interested in postrock to check out This Will Destroy You, even though their recordings don't quite catch up to their absolutely breathtaking live performances.
They got most of their stuff on their lastfm page in full lenght, it's really worth a try.
streetangelj
We just found the sound for the regular band in my game's runner nightclub, a Goblin Rock band called "Goblin Town" (after the song from Bakshi's LOTR movie). We plan on playing it next time the PCs are hanging out in the bar. It's been decided that they sound like Hollywood Undead (esp. the song "Undead") or when the have their guest vocalist (a retired elven "ninja" who SURGEd into a panther-like form with Glamour) like Lacuna Coil. Generally, though, I've found that BG music must be kept low to avoid being a distraction.
kanislatrans
lotta great stuff o newgrounds..thanks for the link.

found Astroninja there...ya gotta check them out,chummer grinbig.gif If they aren't shadowrunish I don't know what is... grinbig.gif
Blackbeard
My groups general BGM is winamp set with Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, Foetus, Cabaret Voltaire, Dead Can Dance, Joy Division, Killing Joke, Swans and whatever else seems to fit. Even through some of these have vocals, it does not seem to interfere with the group. I guess it helps that my computer is a good 15ft behind me and the volume is set to a low growl.

If I were to say the most played albums, it would be Throbbing Gristle's Mission of Dead Souls, Einsturzende Neubauten Haus Der Luge, or Coil's Horse Rotorvator/Unrelaesed Hellraiser Soundtrack. The general ambience with touch of Industrial fits well with our views of the SR universe.

Hope that this is some help.
Kerris
If I were to use music during my game, it would be Woven. Without a doubt.
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Nov 12 2008, 09:32 PM) *
lotta great stuff o newgrounds..thanks for the link.

found Astroninja there...ya gotta check them out,chummer grinbig.gif If they aren't shadowrunish I don't know what is... grinbig.gif

Wow, I wasn't sure what to think of Astroninja until I saw the Bukkake Udon Song video. Now I know you were being sarcastic. Damn them internets for hiding sarcasm.
Jimson
We use the music as background. I have the two Mortal Kombat soundtracks (Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon), Rob Zombie, and Rammstein on my iPod playlist for Shadowrun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012