Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit of Man and Spellcasting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
dirkformica
If I summon a Spirit of Man force 6, it can have two optional powers. Those two optional powers could be two spells that I know since they are capable of spellcasting. If I choose Improved Reflexes and Improved Willpower I believe I can use two tasks to have the spirit cast and sustain both on me until they are dismissed.

A few questions:
1.) Is my scenario accurate?
2.) Does the spirit have to be on the physical plane to maintain the spells (for that matter, does a magician have to be on the physical plane to maintain a spell or can they maintain spell astrally?)
3.) Somewhat tangential, do spells with a range of touch that are sustained require the target to be molested for the entire duration of the maintaining or is it just the initial casting?
Cain
QUOTE (dirkformica @ Nov 10 2008, 05:00 PM) *
If I summon a Spirit of Man force 6, it can have two optional powers. Those two optional powers could be two spells that I know since they are capable of spellcasting. If I choose Improved Reflexes and Improved Willpower I believe I can use two tasks to have the spirit cast and sustain both on me until they are dismissed.

A few questions:
1.) Is my scenario accurate?
2.) Does the spirit have to be on the physical plane to maintain the spells (for that matter, does a magician have to be on the physical plane to maintain a spell or can they maintain spell astrally?)
3.) Somewhat tangential, do spells with a range of touch that are sustained require the target to be molested for the entire duration of the maintaining or is it just the initial casting?

1. Yes.
  2. No. It has to be on the physical to cast the spells, though. (Although this may get interesting if you're dual-perceiving.)
  3. Just the initial casting. Once you cast a Detection spell on someone, they can go outside LOS; so I'd imagine the same applies to Touch spells.
Muspellsheimr
1: While it can be argued, I believe this is correct by Rules as Written.

My argument would be that while the Innate Spell is a critter power, it's use is that of a spell, not a power. Thus, it does not qualify for the 1 service - infinite duration use, but uses the Spell Sustaining task.
As I said, I do not believe this is RAW, but can be argued, & I would suggest it as Spirits of Man are (in my opinion) to powerful without this ruling.

2: Once the spell has been cast, it may be sustained from either the Physical or Astral plane, regardless of where it was cast. Also, it possibly (I need to double-check) can be sustained from a Metaplane.

3: The range is only for the casting of the spell, not the sustaining. In other words, you must be able to see (or touch) the subject to cast the spell, but once cast, functions as long as sustained regardless of the magical link.
Glyph
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Nov 11 2008, 03:39 AM) *
My argument would be that while the Innate Spell is a critter power, it's use is that of a spell, not a power. Thus, it does not qualify for the 1 service - infinite duration use, but uses the Spell Sustaining task.
As I said, I do not believe this is RAW, but can be argued, & I would suggest it as Spirits of Man are (in my opinion) to powerful without this ruling.

I agree. Ruling otherwise makes the spell sustaining service from bound spirits completely useless - why get a service with a duration measured in rounds, when you can have the spirit cast the spell for you, then sustain it for as long as needed, without even needing to bind the spirit? So I concur that spell sustaining should be treated as a bound spirit service of extremely limited duration, no matter who casts the spell (the magician or the spirit). That's a severe interpretation of the RAW, but (in my opinion) the only one that makes sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012