Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First Hacker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ruin-Gar
So pretty soon, I may be playing in an old friends SR4 game, and I kind of wanted to try out a hacker, since I've never really done one before. I have some stuff figured out, but was wondering if I could get a few suggestions from the Dumpshock crew. I envision my PC being like a cyberpunk detective, sort of an internet Private Eye. Here's what I've got so far;

BOD 2
AGI 3
REA 4
STR 2
CHA 4
INT 4
LOG 5
WIL 3
Edge 3

Qualities
Bilingual 5
Perceptive 5
First Impression 5
Erased 10
Will to Live 10
Addiction -5 (Alcohol)
Allergy -2/-8 (Organic Food)
SINner -5
In Debt -10
Prejudiced -5 (Law Enforcement)

Skills
Influence 2 (20)
Automatics 3 (12)
Stealth 3 (30)
Electronics 4 (40)
Cracking 4 (40)
Dodge 3 (12)

Contacts
Jackpoint 3/2
Shark Lawyer 2/3

Gear 36 BP = 180,000 (+10,000 from In Debt)
Drogos
Higher body. You'll want at the very least a 6 in armor to ensure you don't take physical damage from hold out, automatic and light pistols.
Ruin-Gar
QUOTE (Drogos @ Nov 14 2008, 02:04 PM) *
Higher body. You'll want at the very least a 6 in armor to ensure you don't take physical damage from hold out, automatic and light pistols.

Ok, I don't want to cut down on my Gear too much, is there anything I should cut down on to get that highter BOD?
Drogos
Logic?
Ruin-Gar
QUOTE (Drogos @ Nov 14 2008, 02:42 PM) *
Logic?

I thought Logic was what most Hacking skills worked off of?
Malachi
Except if your playing straight RAW from the BBB, you don't roll Logic when making most Matrix tests. You roll Skill + Program Rating.
Drogos
And if you are using a houserule that involves rolling logic in hacking skills (a few options are provided in Unwired) the loss of a die for that is worth the survivability of wearing the extra armor without encumberance. You're still averaging 3 hits pretty much. And if you're not using the houserule, it will then only apply for Hardware and Software roles, which are extended tests anyways.
Cthulhudreams
Logic has no value yeah.

Mathematically optimal choice is: drop 1 point out of body, 1 point out of logic and 1 point out of strength, play an ork, (netting you body 4 and strength 3), and use the spare BPs in either your stealth group to improve your PI ness, or get 10 more BP of gear.
Ryu
You need to play an ork, wear an armored duster, get more "In Debt" in exchange for the allergy and prejudice, and give the shark lawyer a syndicate connection. I would buy the Firearms group instead of Automatics, increasing it to rating 2 by foregoing Will to Live.
TheOOB
You definitely need at least a point in the pistol skill, automatics rock, but they are anything but low key.

Like mentioned above you need another point in body, not only does that add three points to damage resistance tests, but will also make it so weak attacks hit stun so not all your damage goes into physical. I personally would drop CHA for it myself, but it's up to you. Logic still handles software and hardware tests, which hackers will use fairly often.

You also don't have a fixer contact, or a warez dude for that matter, which will make it difficult to get any gear/progs you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012