Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Confused on Wujen summoning
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Luke Hardison
I'm dealing with Magic in the Shadows for the first time for this campaign, and I have a player who would like to try out Wujen. We've agreed to go at it together and fumble through the differences as I try to digest MitS fully, but one thing has been causing me question.

Wujen summon spirits of the elements (see p. 105) and spirits of man in the same manner as shamans summon nature spirits(p. 186, SR3).
MitS, 19

I was going on this statement and letting wujen summon their spirits on the fly like a shaman. But then confusion set in when I read this earlier today, further down in the same paragraph (must have missed it the first time) --

Wujen use libraries and circles rather than lodges ...
MitS, 19

Note the highlighted portion, seeming to indicate that a wujen is limited to conjuring spirits within the confines of hemetic circles. That would really limit the wujen to hours of circle drawing to summon spirits that last at most 12 - 16 hours.

What am I missing? Is there eratta for this situation that I missed? Or am I reading too much into that statement?
Ol' Scratch
No, Wujen just have to use a Hermetic Library or Conjuring Circle instead of a Shamanic Lodge for any activites where a Shaman would need a Shamanic Lodge for similar activities. Such activities include summoning an ally spirit or researching a new spell. In other words, they don't get off with a cheap Shamanic Lodge and instead have to pay out the nose for their Libraries and Circles. They still get to conjure spirits without the use of a circle as shamans don't use their lodge to summon most spirits.
Luke Hardison
Mages use the circle for anything other than summoning elementals? Is that new in MitS?
Fortune
QUOTE (Luke Hardison @ Dec 30 2003, 03:30 PM)
Mages use the circle for anything other than summoning elementals?  Is that new in MitS?

Who said they did? Doc stated that the Circles were used by Wujen in the same manner, and for the same purposes as Shamanic characters would use a Medicine Lodge.
Luke Hardison
Okay, I think that makes sense.
Mongoose
Wujen (and mages) would use a magical circle for ritual sorcery, among other things.

Wujen do summon spirits "on the fly", as Luke's been doing. At least, that's how my Wujen did it when I played in Rob Boyle's campaign. I never did end up needing a circle, though I did use a library once to design a spell, just because I had some time to kill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012