Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Fighting Knife
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kevyn668
[nitpick]

Am I the only one that thinks there should be just a "combat knife"? Ya know one w/o a trauma patch, mono saw, compass, ration bar, cell phone, kitchen sink, etc.

I was thinking pretty much the same stats as the survival knife, just way cheaper. Like nuyen.gif 50-100.

I know theres the Cougar series, but what if I just want a good, low-tech, old fashion cutter--a "pig sticker", if you will.

Thoughts?

And none of this "buy a bunch of survival knives, use connected edge to sell all the trauma patches" stuff. (I do like that one, though. smile.gif )

[/nitpick]
Phaeton
QUOTE (kevyn668)
[nitpick]

Am I the only one that thinks there should be just a "combat knife"? Ya know one w/o a trauma patch, mono saw, compass, ration bar, cell phone, kitchen sink, etc.

I was thinking pretty much the same stats as the survival knife, just way cheaper. Like nuyen.gif 50-100.

I know theres the Cougar series, but what if I just want a good, low-tech, old fashion cutter--a "pig sticker", if you will.

Thoughts?

And none of this "buy a bunch of survival knives, use connected edge to sell all the trauma patches" stuff. (I do like that one, though. smile.gif )

[/nitpick]

You like it. Why are you complaining about it? rotfl.gif
kevyn668
schizophernia actin up again smile.gif

I was trying to avoid thread drift for at least a post or two...so much for that. biggrin.gif
Fresno Bob
There are stats for y'know...a regular Knife. If you wanted to use one of those huge Rambo knives, would use stats for a sword. Cause man...Rambo had a big knife.
kevyn668
Ah, yes. But i think of those as "switchblade", "butterfly", etc... The knives I'm referring to are like "M7 Bayonet", "Sykes Clip Blade Boot Knife", etc. Generally any knife w/ a blade over 6"/15cm. Which is about the size of a (smallish) survival knife but w/o all the junk crammed in the handle.

To say nothing of the Ghurkin Kuhkri (sp?) but that might fall under "machete".

The reason I think there is a stat difference is most "street cutters" hover around 4" or so in blade length, y'know?

someone edited w/o the tag.... wink.gif
Fresno Bob
I like to not let people know I edit. It adds to my image of perfection. Also, I'm too lazy to check the box. Anyway, if you want a survival knife without the survival junk, just go and do it. Its not like its a game breaker, or something...
Siege
Given the SR mechanic system, there isn't a lot of room for individual tweaking for types of knives.

The survival knife might as well be a K-Bar with some extra bennies, so knock the price down to $50 or nuyen or whathaveyou and run with it.

What kind of numbers were you thinking of?

-Siege
kevyn668
I was thinking pretty much what you said: (str+2)L, Reach 0, cost 50 nuyen.gif ...maybe nuyen.gif 75 or nuyen.gif 100 . But I don't have anything in writing. I just wanted to hear some other opinions, s'all.
The Grifter
My question is, why in the frag would you not want the extra gear inside. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Unless you're so hard up on nuyen you just have to save that extra 50 nuyen.gif . And in that case, I think a survival knife is the least of your concerns.
Fresno Bob
Why buy an M-23, when you could have an M22A2 with a bunch of crap on it? Why do anything?
The Grifter
Voorhees-Well, chummer, like I said, if you can have the extra gear, and it doesn't change the basic function of the knife, wouldn't it be just a tad wise to keep it?
Fresno Bob
Maybe he doesn't like the idea of a survival knife. Maybe he'd rather have a knife designed for killing, rather than for survival.
kevyn668
The Grifter Posted on Dec 30 2003, 09:14 PM
My question is, why in the frag would you not want the extra gear inside. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Well, maybe I'm Marine and my K-Bar don't come w/ that drek, now does it? Or maybe my character used to be a knife fighter. Or maybe I'd like a little variety in my bladed weapons instead of "knife", "survival knife", and "Fineblade Knife". This assumes I don't want to carry around some obsidian Aztech watchama-hooie. Is that okay?

The Grifter Posted on Dec 30 2003, 09:14 PM
Unless you're so hard up on nuyen you just have to save that extra 50  . And in that case, I think a survival knife is the least of your concerns.

Too true. But I'm looking for VARIETY not to save 150 nuyen.gif And for the record, 50 nuyen.gif at char gen should never make or break your character. wink.gif

Stupid slow typing...yes, thanks Vorhees. smile.gif

And I'm not saying I'd ban them from the gameor anything like that, I just want a choice about my stabbing implements. spin.gif
Fresno Bob
I wouldn't touch the Obsidian sword with a ten foot pole. That thing sucks so hard that puts black holes to shame. I mean man...it sucks.
kevyn668
Yeah, chummer. It sucks. Its also like putting out sign that says "Interested in Blood Magic? Ask me How."

Aren't there rules for the thing breaking under stress?
The Grifter
Kevyn-Hokay, got ya, chummer. I thought we were dogging the survival knife in general. My bad.

Voorhees-You said it, man. The obsidian sword sucks hoop so hardcore, I'd like to shoot whoever even jokingly wanted to put it into the CC.
Siege
Well, you gotta know the damage code for those crazy blood worshippers charging you with those silly obsidian things...grinbig.gif

-Siege
Fresno Bob
Yes...before they strike your armor jacket, and shatter their blade. I think its like, roll 1d6, if its less than their impact, the sword breaks.
Siege
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Yes...before they strike your armor jacket, and shatter their blade. I think its like, roll 1d6, if its less than their impact, the sword breaks.

Unless you had to strip down to infiltrate the nasty pyramid...grinbig.gif

-Siege
kevyn668
S'cool chummer. I don't have a prob w/ survival knive at all. I've even had a char or two sport one. But I like to play characters that I think are cool and if something doesn't fit I spend time scratchin my head to figure out what will.

This debate has come in some RL circles, I just wanted the DS opinion. Actually, it wasn't much of a debate and went along the same lines this thread did.

kevyn668
Siege Posted on Dec 30 2003, 09:38 PM
  Well, you gotta know the damage code for those crazy blood worshippers charging you with those silly obsidian things...

-Siege 

biggrin.gif

I guess I never thought of it that way. Good point.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Maybe he doesn't like the idea of a survival knife. Maybe he'd rather have a knife designed for killing, rather than for survival.

Well, sometimes one has to kill, in order to survive. grinbig.gif
Fresno Bob
Oh, you're a clever one, aren't y-

*Slashes Phaeton's throat*

No wordplay!
Siege
Your critter can sport the K-Bar knife.

0 Reach
(Str +3)L

Cost, 50 nuyen.gif or for a really well made one, 100 nuyen.gif.

One extra point of power for added inch of blade, overall size of blade and the blood groove.

Edit: Of course, you loose the saw capability in the survival knife, but oh well...grinbig.gif

-Siege

Edited to show the nuyen properly
kevyn668
Cool. cool.gif
The Grifter
Phaeton-Ah, words of truth.

And pyramids? Come on, is this Shadowrun or The Mummy? *LOL*
Fresno Bob
Sounds about right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012