Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whatda ya mean we're lost?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NetWraith
As a Gm, I'm having problems finding maps(or just general layouts) of buildings and such... More recently(after seeing the post about the oil tanker getting hijacked) I've been looking for the deck plans to an oil tanker. Nothing real specific, just some general notes on size. I was wondering where everone else goes for thier maps and any good advice you may have for finding or creating them.
Fix-it
I'd start going off of aerial photographs.

The wikipedia page on oil tankers is a bit helpfull

this pic is a nice overhead view as well.

most stuff is aft on an oil tanker, as the forward parts of the ship are just tanks. for oil.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Well, for maps I try to use real world atlas for geological data and then cross reference it with my library of SR books. That can leave me a little short for detailed combat area maps however, so I either whip out a quick sketch or use those ones from my old DMZ set. Sometimes I even draw up a nice detailed floorplan in advance - but my players have a knack of by-passing those locations.

For real world references though I've found that having a bash at Google Maps can be really helpful for foreign locations (IE Northwestern America for me) as it also has street/sprawl data. Far more convenient and up to date than my old Rand/McNally hardcopy handmap of Washington state.

Hmmm, come to think of it if you're running in the UK then checking out the Ordnance Survey maps should really give you some detailed terrain maps. As for floorplans & buildings - well, I've always relied on my draftmanship training and getting out and about physically. Nothing can beat some real life legwork and a grounds eye perspective for a realistic environment description.
Thadeus Bearpaw
QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE @ Nov 25 2008, 12:32 PM) *
Well, for maps I try to use real world atlas for geological data and then cross reference it with my library of SR books. That can leave me a little short for detailed combat area maps however, so I either whip out a quick sketch or use those ones from my old DMZ set. Sometimes I even draw up a nice detailed floorplan in advance - but my players have a knack of by-passing those locations.

For real world references though I've found that having a bash at Google Maps can be really helpful for foreign locations (IE Northwestern America for me) as it also has street/sprawl data. Far more convenient and up to date than my old Rand/McNally hardcopy handmap of Washington state.

Hmmm, come to think of it if you're running in the UK then checking out the Ordnance Survey maps should really give you some detailed terrain maps. As for floorplans & buildings - well, I've always relied on my draftmanship training and getting out and about physically. Nothing can beat some real life legwork and a grounds eye perspective for a realistic environment description.

Quick sketches are good. I usually base things off of building I've seen or been in so that i have a more viceral understanding of the layout and can it explain it to players. That can make building seems a bit antiquated but if no one's asking about energy pylons, or AR overlays on this or that floors in specifics than it works out well.
overchord
For something like the example of a ship you could use suurland.com

The website is created with 3D modelling in mind, but has blueprints of boats, and other things which may (or may not) be useful smile.gif
NetWraith
Thanks all, you've been a big help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012