Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duration of Knock-out and Unconsciousness ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Meschler
Hi Folks,

are there any rules how long a character is unconsciousness if he/she is knocked-out due to stun damage? I couldnt fins anything in the BBB. I assume the unconsciousness character is knocked-out for 1 hour (and after this hour he/she can make a healing test) and if he heals enough boxes through this healing test he/she wakes up and is conscious again. Is that right or do i miss something here?

Thank you and best wishes,
Meschler
Zaranthan
If your stun track is full, you're out cold. You wake up when you recover some stun damage.
dog_xinu
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Nov 30 2008, 04:06 PM) *
If your stun track is full, you're out cold. You wake up when you recover some stun damage.

stun recovers at Body+Will, 1hour extended test (net hits reduce stun damage)... SR4 (BBB) p 242 (book was open to that page in front of me).....
Blade
What I like to do is divide the hour by the number of hits to get the time it takes to heal the first stun box. This way, security guards that have been knocked out can sometime wake up before the runners are gone which can lead to interesting situations and make you think again about the stun vs kill issue.
Meschler
@Blade

Yeah, thats the reason i am asking this question. My runners think they use narcoject for stunning and have 1 hour time to complete the run. By RAW thats true.....

I havent found any rule that the guards could awake earlier. By RAW they make their healing test after 1 hour and if they heal at least 1 box of stun damage they wake up. Though no early guard awakening by RAW i think.

Is your ruling a houserule or is that rule from an supplement book? Maybe i didnt own that one.

Thank you all.

Best wishes,
Meschler
TheOOB
My house rule is that you must heal a number of stun boxes equal to the amount of physical damage you have taken to wake up(min 1, and you wake up if your stun track becomes empty for those trolls who have bigger physical tracks then stun), thus someone who took a lot of physical overflow will take longer(usually) to wake up and someone who was beat within an inch of their life won't wake up for hours, though I allow you to spend an edge after healing any stun damage to wake up early.
Drogos
Blade's is a houserule, but one that works IMO. Just because you roll at the completion of an interval to an extended test doesn't mean you did no work until the final moment of the interval. It's also useful for interupted programming and oterh extended tests. It just works.
Blade
QUOTE (Meschler @ Dec 1 2008, 10:56 AM) *
@Blade
Is your ruling a houserule or is that rule from an supplement book? Maybe i didnt own that one.

Thank you all.

Best wishes,
Meschler

I don't know if it's a houserule or not (I have trouble sticking to RAW and tend to see the rules as guidelines), but that's the rule I use for all extended tests.

Mikado
In the game I play in my character is the only one to use a narcoject. We play it, as since a “knock-out� drug caused the damage the pc/npc does not wake up naturally until they heal their full stun track. They may be woken up sooner by another pc/npc or from something that would wake up a sleeping individual. Like loud noises, (gunshots) sprinkler system (water on the face...) or some such. But only if they healed at least one box of stun. We also use the optional rule for healing: Wound penalties count for healing tests.
Of course, a stim-patch will wake the individual up immediatly.

and as to not cause a flamewar on killing vs non-killing.... I'm gonna cut myself short... Had typed out a paragraph on it but its not worth it...
pbangarth
Sneaky Mikado... get the flame war going by NOT typing anything about the flame-able topic, but hinting that it could have been typed.

Sneaky Mikado.

Peter
Malachi
Hits from the Heal spell can be used to heal boxes or to reduce the time for the spell to be permanent so I would rule the same could be done for natural healing tests.
dog_xinu
the rules don't say that you heal absolutely nothing in the first hour. the interval on the test is to give us a base time interval. monster troll will heal faster than john q public. the troll gets hit and get one box of overflow will get up most of the time after a few minutes (~5-10) where john will get up closer to the one hour mark.

there is all sorts of ways to do the healing numbers. I would get into some of those options but not on my PDA.
Mikado
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 1 2008, 05:03 PM) *
Sneaky Mikado... get the flame war going by NOT typing anything about the flame-able topic, but hinting that it could have been typed.

Sneaky Mikado.

Peter

It's only sneaky if people actually start one... Otherwise it's just me being an ass for bringing it up or me choosing not to be an ass by not writing my opinions on the matter. I am choosing not to (fully) start something... some would see that as being a jerk...

As for people getting up after only a few minutes of being knocked into unconscious.... My opinion on the matter is that if it was a gel round, a fist fight or taser, sure a few minutes might be possible... But my original post was about narcoject or other knock-out drugs.... they are designed to keep you down for a long time. Not to offend the women on this board but when was the last time you heard of a woman waking up after 10 minutes of being feed a date-rape drug. Or how often do people wake up during surgery. I would say not many.... Could it happen... yes... it is possible. It is probably not likely though.
Mikado
edited for removal to change last post.
Fortune
It was 'sneaky' because you definitely made your own opinion known on the subject (despite any edit or omitted statement), but attempted to head off any opposition by seeming to imply that further discussion would lead to, if not actually cause a 'flame war'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012