Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way of the Gun mission
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Audious
So, I've been trying to segway a D&D group into Shadowrun. I've been doing pretty well at playing against their D&D-inspired min/maxing styles by showing them how that doesn't work in a game where you need to be able to do several things. Now, I'm trying to come up with a scenario based on the movie, Way of the Gun, that will be a bit less full-on combat-based, while still providing some since they like it.

Now, I was trying to come up with a scenario all week and finally decided on this today (the day of the game grinbig.gif ), and don't have any stats for anything written up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Should I make the two main bodyguards fully fleshed-out runners or grunts?
Snow_Fox
I'm not familiar with way of e gun, can you give a brief synopsis?
Audious
Two guys are going to kidnap a girl who is being paid $1m to be a surrogate mother for a mob boss.

Except they aren't going to Mexico. The person is also not a gangster, but a corp exec.

Pretty much, they're doing an extraction on this girl who has 2 main bodyguards and a security force on call. I'm going to hint that the best time to take her is at this hospital while they are doing routine check-ups and stuff.

So pretty much what I'm looking at here is:

Stats or ideas for the 2 main bodyguards and the grunts on call.
Security stats for a hospital.
Any other ideas.
Glyph
I haven't seen that movie, but as far as the bodyguards, if they are main NPCs, they should be treated as prime runners, not grunts. That's not to say you should fully flesh them out - only do that if they are going to be recurring characters. But you should give them a high Professionalism rating, and give them separate Edge Attributes and physical/stun damage tracks (grunts, I think, use a communal Edge pool, and only have one damage track).

For stats, only worry about the relevant ones - Attributes, skills, dice pools, initiative and initiative passes, etc. You have enough to do, as a GM, without going into meaningless detail for every encounter.
Audious
Yeah, I'm a newb GM, so I need all the help I can get. nyahnyah.gif

It's tough being a first time GM for SR and trying to convert people over from severe munchkinism.
Method
Great movie and a good idea.

Maps

If you have access to a printer you can print these on standard 1/4 inch graph paper. I designed it as a Knight Errant precinct station but the top floor is a medical clinic. You could just use the same map for multiple floors if need be.

I'd also stat the main bodyguards as prime runners. I'd make one a cyber-sam and the other a mage with a few spirits on call. The support team can include a drone rigger for added challenge. Good luck.

EDIT: and I hope you have plans for a precipitous labor... make sure the Johnson stipulates that they want the baby alive. Delivering a baby during a gun fight definitely qualifies as "need to be able to do several things". It also leaves them with a moral dilema, i.e. if Johnson only wants the baby, what do you do with the surrogate mom after the delivery?
Fortune
The movie is definitely worth seeing if you get the chance.
Critias
It's not a great movie -- I acknowledge that it didn't win a bunch of awards for a reason, I understand on a rational level it's not a prime example of great film-making, or whatever -- but it's a fun one, and very solidly Shadowrun'ish. There's also some top-notch gun handling in the last big fight scene.
Dumori
Method I must complement you on your maps.

As for the body guards how tough do you want them and how new and magical is the group. For a tough fight for 400BP runners with little magic or sniping take two of the combat archetypes out of the BBB may be the ganger, street sam, enforcer or gun-adept. If the group is magically capable swap one for a combat mage. I would go for the street sam and gun-adept swapping the sam for the mage but that just my personal preference. The BBB is your friend for quick playable higher class operstion. As I havent seen the movie and I dont know how tough you want the hopistal staff to be I would use a few Corporate Security Unit men as the guys on site with Lone Star type grunt on call and if shes important enough Red Samurai if they stay too long as a hint to start running but the star should do that. Hope I can help.
Glyph
Here's two quick and dirty bodyguards. Basically I took the Elven Assassin and Enforcer archetypes that I did for another thread, tweaked them a bit, then toned them down to 300 points.

Troll Bodyguard:
[ Spoiler ]

Elven Bodyguard:
[ Spoiler ]

If the runners include a mage, though, you would be better off following Method's suggestion and making one of the bodyguards a mage too.
Cain
Ignore the fine details when you stat out NPC's. Just assign them dice pools based what they should have. Don't get caught in the nitty-gritty of how they got those dice pools, so long as you stick to pools about the same size as the PC's. If it becomes important, you can stat it out later.

Don't be afraid to use tactics against the team. Cover, visibility modifiers, burst fire, double-taps, the works. Odds are that they'll be using them against you, and turnabout is fair play.
betterwatchit
You'll also have to consider the security of the hospital's node. It'd get real nasty if your hacker's a mundane, and the hospital's spider is a TM...
Shrapnel
I wouldn't worry too much about the bodyguards.

It's the Bag Man that you've got to watch out for... dead.gif
Audious
Thanks everyone for the help.

I ended up just making two prime runners, one mage and one sam, for the bodyguards.

Actually didn't even finish the whole mission, they're still trying to figure out who the girl is and when her appointment is. They know what day, but not what time. They have the right hospital, at least, but they don't know that. devil.gif

They haven't even killed anyone yet, I'm so proud, lol.

The only downside to this group is that the only two vehicles in the whole group are a motorcycle and a subcompact. frown.gif
TheOOB
As mentioned above, the only time you should fully stat our every BP of a character is when you expect them to be a major reoccurring character who might be placed in several situations you wouldn't plan on so you need to know all their skills and such.

Bodyguards typically only do a couple of things so knowing that they have 4 ranks in elven wine tasting is kinda irrelevant.
Critias
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Dec 1 2008, 04:17 AM) *
As mentioned above, the only time you should fully stat our every BP of a character is when you expect them to be a major reoccurring character who might be placed in several situations you wouldn't plan on so you need to know all their skills and such.

Well, I'd say "the only time you need to," rather than "the only time you should." Some folks just like makin' characters, even if the characters are NPCs whose mission in life is to, ultimately, be nothing but a walking ammo expenditure and bragging rights for a player character next weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012