Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Communication Cyberware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Nomad
Following along the lines of the individual components for smartlinks, I am proposing a component system for communication cyberware since I feel that there is a lot of redundancy in the current system. The rationale begins as follows:

Commlinks can be implanted with both headware radios and telephones at half essence. This would suggest that the radios and telephones share .15 essence in common, since this is the part of the component which is shared with the commlink. For lack of a better term, I am calling this a level 0 commlink (Feel free to suggest alternative names. Since the commlink operates as a scanner, this should also apply for a radio reciever.

Both radios and telephones use subdermal speakers at .1 essence. It stands to reason that the output for these devices could be the same set of speakers. It also stands to reason that they could be routed to cyberears and ignore the speakers all together.

Finally, both radios and telephones should utilize some form of microphone, probably subdermal. While the other items are listed in canon material, this one will need to be introduced as a house rule. I am suggesting a .1 essence to equal the subdermal speakers. All of this leads to the following break down:

Telephone
.15 for Commlink 0
.1 for Subdermal Microphone
.1 for Subdermal Speakers
.15 for Remaining Telephone Components

Radio Reciever
.15 for Commlink 0
.15 for Remaining Radio Reciever Components

Radio Transciever (Full Radio)
.15 for Commlink 0
.1 for Subdermal Microphone
.4 for Remaining Radio Components

Therefore, a character with both a cyberware radio and telephone should only have an essence loss of .9 (.8 if output is routed to cyberears).

I do need to give credit to those that did earlier work on this subject, however, I chose to run my own numbers since theirs uses SRII rules.

Mix-and-Match Headware
Frag-o Delux
Sub-dermal microphones are canon, they are could sub-vocal microphones and they are .1 essence. P.152 of Man and Machine

I can't seem to find the description in the Man and Machine book, but I remember them being described as being implanted in the throat next to the larynx.
Nomad
Opps, you're right. I missed them when glancing through the tables in the back, so forget the non-canon part. Everything should be by the book then.
Frag-o Delux
It has been a long while since I played a really cybered up character, I am just trying to figure out what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to reduce the essence cost of the pieces, or reduce the combine essence if you had both installed?
spotlite
Trying to do what's been done with smartlinks, i think. If they're component-ized, you don't have to buy the bits of tech they share with other devices twice, so you get a discount on multiple component installations. There have been, in the past, various articles posted, mainly for SR1, true, but there were examples in old sourcebooks as well for 'package deal' cyber bundles which ended up cheaper on both money and essence than getting the cyber individually.

I have certainly used this bundling approach in my game, usually an in-game promotion by a specific corp, sort of limited time only offers, that kind of thing.

In this case, a telephone purchased with either of the two radio types will cost the person 0.65 essence instead of 0.9 essence (based on the examples given above - I don't have my books with me to confirm the numbers so i'm trusting to the accuracy of the previous posts!). That's quite a saving, really.
Nomad
I'm trying to reduce the essence if you have both installed because I feel that you are being penalized for items taken twice.
Austere Emancipator
I remember them being described as being implanted in the throat next to the larynx.

This made me check. Fortunately, that's not how they're supposed to work. The Subvocal Microphones (SR3, p. 297) simply work so that the person only has to subvocalize when using a headware radio.

If it actually was implanted next to the larynx, all people'd hear would be intense h's interspersed with odd low vibration and silence.
Nomad
QUOTE (spotlite)
In this case, a telephone purchased with either of the two radio types will cost the person 0.65 essence instead of 0.9 essence (based on the examples given above - I don't have my books with me to confirm the numbers so i'm trusting to the accuracy of the previous posts!). That's quite a saving, really.

Actually, its .9 rather than 1.25. You still need some form of input and output.
Nomad
Opps, I was wrong, again. The sourcebook has subVOCAL, not subdermal microphones. So back to non-canon again
Frag-o Delux
Sounds logical and a good idea, never thought of it. If it works in your game go for it, but I would have to convience my GM to do it, after we look into it more. But the numbers already posted look sound.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I remember them being described as being implanted in the throat next to the larynx.

This made me check. Fortunately, that's not how they're supposed to work. The Subvocal Microphones (SR3, p. 297) simply work so that the person only has to subvocalize when using a headware radio.

If it actually was implanted next to the larynx, all people'd hear would be intense h's interspersed with odd low vibration and silence.

I just remember the picture from Cybertechnology p. 18 they came as external and internal, the internal fron the picture has them by the larynx. I guess they changed it in 3rd edtion. Huh oh well my fault.
Austere Emancipator
Instead of Subvocal+Subdermal, why not go with a Transducer? Half the essence at only 33% increased price (500 more nuyen). Unless the descriptions of headware commgear specifically say they've got Subvocal+Subdermal, which is quite possible if very silly.

The non-mages in my group all have a MiniTransceiver-6 connected through an External Transducer into a Datajack for communication. 0.16 Essence for an alphaware Datajack, and everything else is external.

I guess they changed it in 3rd edtion. Huh oh well my fault.

Oh it's no trouble.

It would be fun having someone actually implant them there, and then watch the players face when on his next run he tries to communicate some important data, and the team only hears HHHHHHHHH*BRRRRRRR* HHHHHHHH*BRRRRRR*

(Make those R's hard, and it'll make sense to you silly English-speakers.)
BlackSmith
i usualy just get a datajack and plug it to an poket secretary.
easy as hell.
Grey
QUOTE (BlackSmith)
easy as hell.

But you still need a transducer for this to work correctly.
Siege
When I still played gun bunnies, I usually bought a subvocal mic and subdermal speakers and just jacked into my radio/telephone.

By the time I was done cramming all my other necessary cyber, I could never scrape enough meat or money together to splurge on implanted telephones or transceivers.

I also liked the idea of being able to upgrade the radio without needing my head opened. grinbig.gif

The transducer is nice, but getting ahold of one always managed to be just outside my reach. Not unlike maglock passkeys.

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (Grey @ Jan 1 2004, 07:08 AM)
QUOTE (BlackSmith @ Dec 31 2003, 11:54 AM)
easy as hell.

But you still need a transducer for this to work correctly.

And you need to DNI-adapt the pocket secretary itself if you want to actually make it function via thought. This isn't necessary if you like pushing buttons though.
Austere Emancipator
Which is indeed very different from a Transducer connected to the PocketSec... nyahnyah.gif

BTW, are there rules for DNI'ing external equipment somewhere?
Shanshu Freeman
Which is indeed very different from a Transducer connected to the PocketSec... nyahnyah.gif

BTW, are there rules for DNI'ing external equipment somewhere?

I thought you just pay havlf again as much for the item or something like that...
Austere Emancipator
May well be, I just can't remember. I thought it was worthwhile to check which would be cheaper: External Transducer or DNI the PocketSec.
Fortune
May well be, I just can't remember. I thought it was worthwhile to check which would be cheaper: External Transducer or DNI the PocketSec.

As far as I know, they are not interchangeable. Hooking a Transducer up to the Pocket Secretary won't let you interact with it's controls or functions, while DNIing it won't let you make calls without either a set of Speakers and a Mic, or the Transducer.
Austere Emancipator
That's silly. The Transducer entry in M&M says:
This unit can also convert spoken words into text for a display link or other linked device.

So if an External Transducer is connected to a Datajack, and to a Pocket Secretary, why wouldn't it allow converting mental impulses into spoken words into text to control the Pocket Secretary with?
Fortune
Because it's basically a communications device, not a control device. It has nothing to do with DNI controls of anything, but merely translates thoughts into text and/or speech and vice versa.
Austere Emancipator
Can't you control a Pocket Secretary with regular text commands, then? Does it not work without neural input?
Frag-o Delux
I forget how we did it in our games. One of my characers had a PS hooked to a datajack with the sub-vocal mic, sub dermal speakers and ll the other junk he also had it hooked to a display link so he could see pictures sent or taken with the PS, he could display his calenders and such, but I think he also had a radio and phone installed also, with an encryption thing. His head was a mobile phone office.

I think we had a company invent a DNI PS, it cost considerably more I remember but after awhile almost everyone in the group started to get them.
Fortune
Can't you control a Pocket Secretary with regular text commands, then? Does it not work without neural input?

Not as far as I know. Control is either manual or DNI-based. The text wouldn't do anything towards actually activating the Pocket Secretary's features.
Austere Emancipator
And that's just silly. If you can feed stuff for the Pocket Secretary to transmit forwards, you can feed it stuff to analyze itself. It would be really stupid to build the thing into two "separate parts", so that the control functions and interface would be totally incapable of touching the transmitted and received data. It would also have to have a completely separate, "dumb" recorder for that data if it was to record any transmitted or received data in that case.

Maybe some low-end stuff would work like that, or pure radios or telephones, but a high-end radio-telephone-computer combo certainly should be capable of accessing the data the transceiver part is handling. Just give the PockSec some command as the first word of the message, and there you go.

Of course, if SR canon says that Transducers can't control any electronics alone, then that's how it is in canon. But it's silly, and I'll house rule/keep house ruling it.
Fortune
The thing is, Transducers only translates thought to text/speech. They do not interact in any other way with any device. You switch the device on, dial the number, then kick in the Transducer to actually communicate. You need the DNI-based controls (which translates thought to device control) to actually do the switching/dialing/faxing/changing modes/etc, as the Transducer itself doesn't have any way of doing it.

I don't see it as dumb, nor do I see a reason to house-rule the Transducer into some uber-device-controlling-gadget. It is fine as it is for what it does, which is translate text/speech to thought and the reverse.
Austere Emancipator
What exactly stops you from connecting the Transducer to that part of the electronic device that handles command input? For example, if the device could be run on a keyboard, couldn't you connect the Transducer to the main line going from the keyboard to the CPU? Then, if you want to send something through the transceiver, you could think: "Radio send Bogie twelve o'clock over end", and if you wanted to change frequency you could think "Commandmode transceiver frequency switch secondary end". Or something like that.

It's as though you had a microphone on your PC, but the microphone could infallibly translate speech into text format -- you could do almost anything through speech. You could say into the mic "run Cee Colon Slash Program Files Slash Roger Wilco Slash Roger Wilco Dot E-X-E connect port ### dot ### dot ### dot ### connect send Blah Blah I r0x0r over disconnect exit". Or something along those lines.
Fortune
As far as I know, the Transducer just doesn't talk to machines/devices like that. What you are describing is exactly what DNI Adaption is all about. Doc Funk could probably give you a better response.
Austere Emancipator
It doesn't have to talk with anything. All it has to do is feed the device pure digital text. If the device has a keypad, it should understand simple text.
Fortune
I disagree, and I have never seen anything in canon to suggest that this is the way a Transducer works. The Transducer in no way interacts with any other device itself, but merely translates the thoughts you are thinking into a communicatable format. The act of remotely feeding the device anything in the way of mental commands, whether text, speech, or machine language falls under the province of DNI.
Austere Emancipator
So what then does the "This unit can also convert spoken words into text for a display link or other linked device." text mean? That it is in fact the DNI'd and Routed "other linked device" that does the translating into text?
Fortune
It can translate incoming speech (from whatever communication device you have the Transducer linked to) into text that can be displayed on your Image or Data Link. All that means is that it can transpose messages into any format, be it text, thought, or speech. It doesn't give commands to devices. As I said, that is solely the province of DNI.

Devices implanted as Headware are already DNI-adapted to take mental commands. Other implants, and external devices need to be DNI-modified in order to benefit from mental control.
Austere Emancipator
So it can freely transfer speech onto non-DNI'd devices, but it cannot transfer text onto non-DNI'd devices?

It should work like this: You think of something. It goes out through your datajack into the external transducer. The transducer translates it to speech, and then translates it to text. It then feeds this text as such into whatever device it is plugged into. The Transducer doesn't have to know anything about controlling anything. It only does what it's supposed to do anyway: Translate thought into speech, and speech into text, and feed that forward.

Would you allow someone to send an SMS with a Transducer?
Fortune
So it can freely transfer speech onto non-DNI'd devices, but it cannot transfer text onto non-DNI'd devices?

It can transfer text, as in sending a fax, but it can't transfer mental commands to a device. You don't need a Transducer to mentally control a device. The DNI adaption and connection through your Datajack is enough to translate your thoughts into mental commands for the device.

It should work like this: You think of something. It goes out through your datajack into the external transducer. The transducer translates it to speech, and then translates it to text. It then feeds this text as such into whatever device it is plugged into. The Transducer doesn't have to know anything about controlling anything. It only does what it's supposed to do anyway: Translate thought into speech, and speech into text, and feed that forward.

But it doesn't. The Transducer only handles communications-type data.

You think of something. It goes out through your datajack into the external transducer. The transducer translates it to speech, and then translates it to text. It then feeds this text as such into whatever (already operating) device it is plugged into...then sends the communication that you were thinking of.
Would you allow someone to send an SMS with a Transducer?

Of course, but they have to manually key in the number to which SMS is being sent (unless the device is DNI-adapted). The Transducer does nothing to control the actual device itself.
Austere Emancipator
I just cannot see the difference between feeding text into a device and giving a device commands. Using my earlier example, connecting the Transducer into whatever line transfers data from the keyboard to the CPU would allow the same text that would otherwise be sent as an SMS to be used as commands, and the Transducer doesn't know the difference. It's still doing the exact same thing as before, it's only sending the data into a different place.

The same difference as between typing this text into this Fast Reply box, or typing it into the DOS Command Prompt. What makes the text from the Transducer incapable of acting as commands?

And if the problem is one of Shadowrun electronic devices not understanding text commands, then all you need is an electronic device capable of putting the Transducer text into good ole ASCII and then plug the thing into a 60-year-old tactical communications kit.
Fortune
The Transducer in no way interacts with the device itself. It merely is capable of translating the thought to text, which the device sends as it normally would. It has no way of telling the device what to do. A Transducer is merely a replacement for speakers and microphones.

Take the keyboard in front of you. It can translate thoughts into text (in a way!), which the computer can then send through the internet connection to post on Dumpshock. If the computer is not actually turned on, it doesn't matter how much text the keyboard puts out, it won't actually turn the computer on by itself. That requires you to actually hit the on button.

I don't really see why this is such a problem. All the Transducer does is manipulate and transpose raw data into another form of raw data. it does not transmit anything itself. It cannot be used to control any device.

You don't need a Transducer to mentally command any device, whether implanted or not. All that is required is that the device be DNI-adapted (already done with Headware), and that there be a way to transmit your mental commands, which is where the Datajack comes in.

DNI-adaption is relatively expensive (depending on the base price of each device) in Shadowrun, while Transducers are quite cheap. There is no correlation between their two specific tasks.
Herald of Verjigorm
Hmm... transducer cannot be used to command anything, but it is like a keyboard which is one of the primary input methods for current computing. (you can set the computer up so that it turns on by a keyboard command, but it isn't worth the effort)

The software to allow transducer control should be minor.

[edit]comparisons in this post are not based on game balance or rules, just IO concepts[/edit]
Fortune
The Transducer does not interact with the device, it interacts with your brain. Your brain interacts with the device, either by commanding a part of your body to manually turn it on/change the setting/activate a feature, or via DNI commands.

I never meant to imply that it is like a keyboard in the way you are saying, which I think you well know. I used the keyboard as an illustration of why it doesn't actually affect the device itself, merely the data sent through the device's communications channels.
mfb
fortune, i've got a keyboard with a power button. it wouldn't take a massive modification to your gear to allow it to take commands via transducer--i've got a character who uses his pocsec this way, albiet via a 'trode link. he has to think the word "rosebud", which puts the pocsec into command mode; from there, he's got a list of specific mental commands he can give it--"text", "pix," etc.

i don't see why allowing the transducer to interface with devices is such an issue. it's never actually occured to me that you couldn't.
Austere Emancipator
If the computer is not actually turned on, it doesn't matter how much text the keyboard puts out, it won't actually turn the computer on by itself. That requires you to actually hit the on button.

Bad example. I can turn this computer on and off from my keyboard. I have pressed the Power button a total of 1 time since I got this computer (the first time I turned it on), and Reboot a few times when it crashed. For every other purpose, I use the mouse and keyboard.

Just using my keyboard and mouse, I can turn the computer on, connect to the internet, use any of the obvious functions available (anything you can see on Windows), I can fiddle around with the BIOS settings, I can go over to the DOS Prompt and change every setting there is.

A Transducer is merely a replacement for speakers and microphones.

And if there was a system that could infallibly translate the speech from the microphones into text (apart from the Transducer, that is...), the microphones could be used to control the device instead.

All the Transducer does is manipulate and transpose raw data into another form of raw data. it does not transmit anything itself. It cannot be used to control any device.

It does transmit it into the Pocket Secretary. Obviously it has to do that. And it would still be doing just that, it would just be inserting it to the "command prompt" instead of the "dialog box".

You don't need a Transducer to mentally command any device, whether implanted or not.

I realize this. You could control the Pocket Secretary without the Transducer but with a DNI, I agree with that 100%. But I think you should also be capable of controlling the device with just the Transducer.

Because DNIs are designed for controlling these devices and Transducers are not as such, it might make sense to make controlling a device with a Transducer slower than with DNI. Fiddling around with settings (like switching channels, turning encryption/decryption on and off, etc) might be a Simple Action, or in some cases even a Complex Action. But that wouldn't matter most of the time, since during combat you'd mostly just send/receive communications.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
(you can set the computer up so that it turns on by a keyboard command, but it isn't worth the effort)

I strongly disagree. I can't be bothered to stretch all the way under the table to turn the computer on. All I got to do is sit down and type my keyword, and *whoosh*. Ahh...

QUOTE (Fortune)
The Transducer does not interact with the device, it interacts with your brain. Your brain interacts with the device, either by commanding a part of your body to manually turn it on/change the setting/activate a feature, or via DNI commands.

But of course it interacts with the device. The wire goes from your brain, out the datajack, into the transducer, and from there to the pocket secretary. To do this, the transducer has to interact with the device. It sends/receives data to/from it. But that is not very important here, anyway. Your brain formulates the thought "commandmode radio frequency switch alternative end", transducer turns it into speech and then text and gives it to the pocket secretary, which analyzes and uses it appropriately.
Fortune
Because that is not the Transducer's role.

The 'minor adjustment' you would have to make to the computer to allow such a thing is equivalent to DNI-adapting it in the Sixth World.

It's your game(s), so you can do what you like.

Tell me this though...what is the need for DNI-adaption for each device, and all the rules pertaining to it in canon, if a standard Transducer can do the exact same thing with any device, DNI-adaption or not, with no problems and for a hell of a lot less money?
Austere Emancipator
Tell me this though...what is the need for DNI-adaption for each device, and all the rules pertaining to it in canon, if a standard Transducer can do the exact same thing with any device, DNI-adaption or not, with no problems and for a hell of a lot less money?

It might make using the device seem more "natural", so that instead of having to think about commands, the device could translate your thoughts effectively enough for you to have to work less with it (portrayed by the possible change in Action requirements when doing certain things, like I mentioned). Or it could be that SR designers didn't give much thought to the incredible amounts of applications a Transducer would have.
Fortune
I can turn this computer on and off from my keyboard. I have pressed the Power button a total of 1 time since I got this computer (the first time I turned it on), and Reboot a few times when it crashed. For every other purpose, I use the mouse and keyboard.

But you had to turn it on the first time, didn't you? You didn't just plug the keyboard in and hit enter, and your whole system lit up.

You also knew what I was trying to get at with my keyboard example, but chose instead to argue irrelevantly about my example instead of trying to understand what I was illustrating.

It does transmit it into the Pocket Secretary. Obviously it has to do that. And it would still be doing just that, it would just be inserting it to the "command prompt" instead of the "dialog box".

No, it translates the data. Your Datajack and it's connection to the device transmits the actaul data.
I realize this. You could control the Pocket Secretary without the Transducer but with a DNI, I agree with that 100%. But I think you should also be capable of controlling the device with just the Transducer.

Why?
Fortune
It might make using the device seem more "natural", so that instead of having to think about commands, the device could translate your thoughts effectively enough for you to have to work less with it (portrayed by the possible change in Action requirements when doing certain things, like I mentioned).

I don't see the difference. I think 'turn on and send pre-arranged message' and the DNI-adapted machine does so, vs. I think ''turn on and send pre-arranged message' and the Transducer translates it into (in reality nothing, because it doesn't talk to machines, but) whatever you seem to think it is other than thought that activates a DNI-adapted device.
Or it could be that SR designers didn't give much thought to the incredible amounts of applications a Transducer would have.

Most devices in Shadowrun were designed as standard, with the option of being adapted for DNI commands. The thing is, it's the device that has to be adapted in order to accept and/or recognise your mental commands in the first place. You (and your brain) don't need to be adapted at all, other than to have a Datajack installed and plugged into the device. The device would still need to be DNI-adapted in order to receive commands via your Transducer, so the Transducer is superfluous in this situation.

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fortune)
But you had to turn it on the first time, didn't you? You didn't just plug the keyboard in and hit enter, and your whole system lit up.

Ehh? Well, of course, but that's the same as the first time you turn your pocket secretary on. You don't have to reconfigure everything every time you turn it on again. Unless electronics has gone a huge leap backwards.

You also knew what I was trying to get at with my keyboard example, but chose instead to argue irrelevantly about my example instead of trying to understand what I was illustrating.

No, I did not know what you were trying to get at. Obviously I must have misunderstood, either thanks to my massive stupidity, or the ambiguous nature of internet discussion in general.

No, it translates the data. Your Datajack and it's connection to the device transmits the actaul data.

So, how does that work in practice? The Datajack sends the info into the Transducer without checking (no backup, no check bytes, no nothing), the Transducer automatically translates the stuff, then the Datajack pings the Transducer which then passively responds by sending the packet back, and then your Datajack goes on to have a connection dialog with the pocket secretary?

And that still won't matter, because then you'll have a bunch of text that the Datajack/your brain can feed into the input of the pocket secretary, and use that to command it in almost any way you want.

the Transducer translates it into (in reality nothing, because it doesn't talk to machines

But it DOES translate thought into speech and text. That's how it is described to work. My brain thinks "run ping.exe", the datajack feeds that into the transducer which turns it into /rAn pinj dat i Eks i/ and consecutively to <run ping.exe> which is then transferred to the pocket secretary, which handily realizes that it's not supposed to send this packet of data, but instead runs the ping.exe file.

The thing is, it's the device that has to be adapted in order to accept and/or recognise your mental commands in the first place.

At that point, it should be simply a block of text the pocket secretary is getting, not a "mental command". It shouldn't need additional adaptation to understand that block of text.
Fortune
You win. There's obviously no need to DNI anything in Shadowrun as long as you have access to a Transducer. Silly me. smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
When the normal input style of a device is a text stream, a transducer would logically be sufficient. When the normal input method is (at the gear) a sequence of vectors, you could do that by transducer, but it would be very hard and much slower than you probably want.

Demanding everything be DNI is easier, but excessive for some items.
Austere Emancipator
You win.

Thanks. At least you were a man about it. (I'm almost tempted to put a roll-eyes here, but I've sort of sworn not to do that.)

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Demanding everything be DNI is easier, but excessive for some items.

Yep, that's almost exactly what I was thinking, in a nutshell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012