Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pronouncing Shadowrun Words
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheOOB
This may sound a little silly, but I'm not sure how to pronounce shidhe, as in Salish-Shidhe Council, since I'm playing a game in Seattle, I don't want to look silly. Can anyone help?
Shinxy
I _think_ (don't quote me) it's pronounced "shee", as in an alternate spelling of the word Sidhe (meaning faerie folk) which is pronounced the same way.
Black Mamba
Shinxy is correct.
Method
Here is some audio.
Tyro
Gaelic is weird like that. It's actually short for Daoine Sidhe (Doon Shee), "People of the Hills".
TheOOB
Thank you. That raises the question though, why is the NAN using a Gaelic word in the titles of one of their nations?

Now for the bonus round, anyone know Sinsearach?

Funny think is, I have no trouble with all the Asian words, it's the ones in the NAN which give me trouble, kind of embarrassing since I live in Seattle. I suppose this thread should also be opened up to anyone else who wants to know how to pronounce a shadowrun word.
Rad
To my (limited) understanding, Salish-Shidhe was less NAN and more Elven tribal nation--the elves have been all over that faux-Gaelic thing, apparently. Maybe because the Daoine Sidhe were basically supposed to be immortal elves with great magical powers.
Aaron
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 5 2008, 10:49 PM) *
Gaelic is weird like that.

That's what sidhe said. =i)

QUOTE (The OOB)
Now for the bonus round, anyone know Sinsearach?

SIN-ser-ahch. The 'ch' is a voiceless uvular fricative, like in the name "Bach." You can get away with making a 'k' sound if the fricative is too weird.
Dr Funfrock
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Dec 6 2008, 01:04 AM) *
Thank you. That raises the question though, why is the NAN using a Gaelic word in the titles of one of their nations?

Read Shadows of North America.
The SSC chose the name of the predominant tribe and a gaelic word for "fairie" which they used to denote the metahumans that were very populous in the SSC (compared to the other NANs). Even today the SSC is still one of the most meta-friendly nations out there, although most of the Sinsearach secceding did sour relations there somewhat.
raggedhalo
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 6 2008, 12:49 AM) *
Gaelic is weird like that. It's actually short for Daoine Sidhe (Doon Shee), "People of the Hills".

Also short for Aes Sidhe, "People of the Mounds."
TheOOB
And thats why I like Japanese, the rules for how to pronounce words are very clear. If you know how the word is spelled you can pronounce it.
Tyro
My favorite Elven nickname is the weirdest to pronounce: Tuatha de Dannan, "People of [the goddess] Danu"; it's pronounced "TOO*uh day DAHN*uh". Often just called the Tuatha de (TOO*uh day) for short.

I'm an aspiring bard in the SCA with a Manx persona. This stuff comes with the territory.

[Edit]: Would people please just GET A CLUE and make the IPA easier to input on computers? Please?
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 7 2008, 08:11 AM) *
My favorite Elven nickname is the weirdest to pronounce: Tuatha de Dannan, "People of [the goddess] Danu"; it's pronounced "TOO*uh day DAHN*uh". Often just called the Tuatha de (TOO*uh day) for short.

Makes one wonder what Balor and the Fomorii are/were in the SR interpretation of mythology.

(Wait, did you just call the Irish elves? Surely Tuatha de Dannan refers to the Irish themselves, explaining how they came to reside on the holy soil of Ireland? This kind of thing on an RPG board gets confusing.)
MYST1C
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Dec 7 2008, 08:03 AM) *
And thats why I like Japanese, the rules for how to pronounce words are very clear. If you know how the word is spelled you can pronounce it.

Same with German - once you understand the pronounciation rules you can read a German text aloud even without understanding a single word - and it will sound mostly right.
Snow_Fox
The Salishe-Sidhee council was original nation a mix of elves and indians, but after the inital formation, the eleves broke away and formed the tir out of half the country. Why the Salish never changed the name? go figure.
Tyro
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Dec 7 2008, 01:39 AM) *
Makes one wonder what Balor and the Fomorii are/were in the SR interpretation of mythology.

(Wait, did you just call the Irish elves? Surely Tuatha de Dannan refers to the Irish themselves, explaining how they came to reside on the holy soil of Ireland? This kind of thing on an RPG board gets confusing.)

Look up the Book of Invasions, if you're not already familiar. I've seen "Tuatha de" used to describe Elves and Irish both.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012