Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Agents and Programs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Learner
I've spent a bit of time trying to find any postings on the following but have failed:

1. Can you buy just one Agent and whatever Programs you want then load on the fly what the Agent has?
(I buy just one Agent and several Programs that I and the Agent will use. I then load that Agent on 3 separate nodes with 3 different program loadouts.)

2. Just what information can you glean from a "Killed" Agent/IC? I'm assuming if you kill it in the home node then you get a passcode to the home system, but what if you "kill" the Agent away from the home node? (Home node = the node that launched the Agent.)

3. How much does that "jamming open port" (where the hacker can't jack out, Pg 231) ability of Black Ice cost and what kind of feature is it? (Program option, Auto soft, built into the IC program?)

Cabral
As far as 2, "killing" an agent/IC just crashes the program. It doesn't lesve a "carcass" to poke at. However, somewhere on some node (not necessarily the node the agent/IC was running), there will be a collection of executable and library files and possibly some source code that constitutes the agent/IC which may grant some insight.
TheOOB
Not to mention that the agents access ID will be on the system log which will allow you to trace it to it's node of orgin.
Ryu
QUOTE (Learner @ Dec 7 2008, 08:35 AM) *
I've spent a bit of time trying to find any postings on the following but have failed:

1. Can you buy just one Agent and whatever Programs you want then load on the fly what the Agent has?
(I buy just one Agent and several Programs that I and the Agent will use. I then load that Agent on 3 separate nodes with 3 different program loadouts.)

2. Just what information can you glean from a "Killed" Agent/IC? I'm assuming if you kill it in the home node then you get a passcode to the home system, but what if you "kill" the Agent away from the home node? (Home node = the node that launched the Agent.)

3. How much does that "jamming open port" (where the hacker can't jack out, Pg 231) ability of Black Ice cost and what kind of feature is it? (Program option, Auto soft, built into the IC program?)

1. You can do that.

2. None. If you need info, you need to analyse the target before you crash it.

3. Black IC is IC that carries one of the black programs (Unwired pg. 69). So the answer should be "automatic program property".
Learner
QUOTE (Ryu @ Dec 7 2008, 08:18 AM) *

3. Black IC is IC that carries one of the black programs (Unwired pg. 69). So the answer should be "automatic program property".

So the ability to become Black IC is the only reason to by IC over an Agent?
hobgoblin
in SR4, IC are just agents tasked with protecting a node. so yes, a agent packing black hammer and doing the rounds in some node would be black IC.

one thing about your example related to question 1. unwired introed a rule that basically means that you cant just take a single of the shelf agent and upload it multiple times. you can however crack said agent to remove that limitation.

this was because one of the hot topics with SR4 first came out was "agent smith". or basically the SR4 equivalent of what we see in the later two matrix movies...

unwired also introed a rule about agents and combat software, iirc. something about having to buy a special kind for it to be able to carry said programs. again i think that was crackable to remove.
Ryu
QUOTE (Learner @ Dec 7 2008, 12:09 PM) *
So the ability to become Black IC is the only reason to by IC over an Agent?

No. The agent can use a black program and create the same effects.

Do you have Unwired? The main difference between IC and agents is purpose, and deducted from that, the ability to understand certain orders. Then there are limited and unlimited agents. The mechanical difference is about zero.
Learner
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 7 2008, 11:21 AM) *
in SR4, IC are just agents tasked with protecting a node. so yes, a agent packing black hammer and doing the rounds in some node would be black IC.

one thing about your example related to question 1. unwired introed a rule that basically means that you cant just take a single of the shelf agent and upload it multiple times. you can however crack said agent to remove that limitation.

A copied Agent can't access a node on which an Agent with the same id is running. (Unwired pg.111) Which can be taken to mean the copies must each be in their own nodes but can target the same node. This would go against the sentences that follow it. The meaning would be clearer if the sentence went along the lines of, "If a copy tries to access a node on which an agent with the same access ID is already running or accessing, however, the node will automatically refuse access...".

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 7 2008, 11:21 AM) *
this was because one of the hot topics with SR4 first came out was "agent smith". or basically the SR4 equivalent of what we see in the later two matrix movies...

unwired also introed a rule about agents and combat software, iirc. something about having to buy a special kind for it to be able to carry said programs. again i think that was crackable to remove.

You have to buy an unrestricted Agent if you want to do anything illegal.
Learner
QUOTE (Ryu @ Dec 7 2008, 11:36 AM) *
No. The agent can use a black program and create the same effects.

Do you have Unwired? The main difference between IC and agents is purpose, and deducted from that, the ability to understand certain orders. Then there are limited and unlimited agents. The mechanical difference is about zero.

Yes, I have that book but it didn't answer my original questions hence the reason I posted.

I am confused by SR4 saying IC is specialized for defense but providing no real mechanical difference, such as essentially a higher rating in the defended node, akin to specialization in skills, or a cost difference.
Ryu
No need for confusion, it is that simple.

As with the limit on agent hacking. Hacking requires the agents to access the target node, and multiple connection attempts with the same agent ID automatically fail. The limit is on logging in (by a fake account in this case), not on being loaded onto the same node alone.
hobgoblin
see the pocket hacker software suite on p127, unwired.

a IC would be a similar solution but primarily equipped for defense (analyze, attack, track, maybe armor to stay in the fight longer).

yes, a basic agent can be retooled for different tasks, so if you want a home agent doing IC duty and a search agent, you only need to buy a single agent.

another option could be that IC hold scripts (p100, unwired) aimed at detecting and evicting intruders.
Malachi
QUOTE (Learner @ Dec 7 2008, 03:35 AM) *

Although under the "Black IC" section, those rules actually apply to either of the "black" programs: Blackout or Black Hammer. If you have either of those programs, then you get that effect.
Warlordtheft
My understanding is that IC from the previous versions (blaster, black, tracer, probe, etc) have been replaced with agents. Also files that you down load may have encrypt, decrypt and the like. These are passive and don't activate unless certain conditions are met as determined by GM. More often than not encrypt is automatic, data bombs may go off if the hacker tries to access the file, causes the system to go on alert or other criteria.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Dec 8 2008, 12:50 PM) *
My understanding is that IC from the previous versions (blaster, black, tracer, probe, etc) have been replaced with agents.

Yup, now a days an IC is just an agent set to defend a node, just like a guard is just a soldier ordered to defend a specific location.
The Jopp
Interesting.

Since you cannot have a dublicate ID running on the same node you can do some fun stuff:

Stopping an agent from following you: Spoof the agents ID inside the next node you enter to block the agent from entering the node.

Spoof your own ID in another node to fool security into looking there but not where you are.
GreyBrother
AFAIK can you only spoof your own personas ID. So no ventriloquist
Learner
QUOTE (Malachi @ Dec 8 2008, 04:39 PM) *
Although under the "Black IC" section, those rules actually apply to either of the "black" programs: Blackout or Black Hammer. If you have either of those programs, then you get that effect.

I guess I confuse easily. Are you saying that not only IC but Personas and Agents can do the "Lock Down" if they run Black programs?
Ryu
QUOTE (Learner @ Dec 14 2008, 07:43 PM) *
I guess I confuse easily. Are you saying that not only IC but Personas and Agents can do the "Lock Down" if they run Black programs?

I would say that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012