Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scouting Interest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Would there be interest in a page devoted to blood magic, covering both Shadowrun and Earthdawn? Comprehensive, of course, with references.
Kagetenshi
Anything that lets me enmesh my players in greater levels of plotwebs. This fits the bill nicely.
Not to mention that the practice itself has always been intriguing...

~J
Grey
I'd be highly interested. Its something that I've always thought was cool, but never knew a whole lot about.
Req
Yep. Blood magic = teh win.
kevyn668
Hell yeah!
Diesel
Damn straight.
Cheese Emperor
I'd just like to say that AH has to be the baddest mofo of a researcher SR has ever known. And definitely would love to see that.
Fortune
Add me to the list of interested parties. smile.gif
Saintgrimm
I'd damn sure be interested.
Phaeton
Same here. Wire up us the word, homey Gs. Blud mayge 4 lyfe.
toturi
Are you kidding? Interested, damn right I am.
Userlimit
what i want to know is whens ancient history going to get a cameo in a book?
Fahr
Go for Broke!

Fortune
QUOTE (Userlimit)
what i want to know is whens ancient history going to get a cameo in a book?

Possibly when he actually creates and submits something. wink.gif
3Threes
guys, that blood magic stuff is just crap - i have run through prolly 400+ squirrels and i have yet to levitate ANYTHING
Kagetenshi
Squirrels? That's cruel!
Use people.

~J
northern lights
just adding my support to the thread topic. and also to using people (albeit deserving ones) instead of the poor squirrels
Austere Emancipator
people (albeit deserving ones)

Like, start with acquantainces and work your way up to friends, family and significant other and yourself. If that doesn't get you one Levitate...

And there certainly would be interest in a blood magic page.
Tziluthi
Got a blood magic woman,
I got a blood magic woman,
Yes, I got a blood magic woman,
Got me so blind I can't see,
But she's a blood magic woman ,
And she's tryin' to make a blood spirit out of me.

...sorry about that.

Consider me interested!
Ancient History
I think that's enough to get started on a page.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I think that's enough to get started on a page.

One would hope so! wink.gif
Shev
I would be interested in that.

There's not a whole lot about the practice in MITS. Just some basic rules and tables, but little on the actual rituals, origins, etc. I would definately like to know more. Also, I've always wondered: blood magic and adepts. Can it be done? How? What would any negative effects be? Anyone have any ideas on this? Perhaps it could go up on the page smile.gif
mfb
that could be nasty. boost your strength up around 15 or so, then start 'sacrificing' everyone in sight to soak the drain.
Ancient History
I think ye'd have to be slicin' while yer boostin'.

To answer your question, Sacrificing is for all drain, includign Attribute Boost.
Siege
The problem is -- not many adept powers would benefit from defeating drain.

Although it would make for an interesting geas -- must be dipped in blood or covered in fresh blood or something similar.

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
To answer your question, Sacrificing is for all drain, includign Attribute Boost.

But can Adepts actually acquire the Sacrificing Metamagic, according to canon?
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 2 2004, 03:50 PM)

But can Adepts actually acquire the Sacrificing Metamagic, according to canon?

That's actually a good question -- I'm drawing a blank personally.

Although you do know why blood magic was deemed "NPC Only" in big, block letters, right? grinbig.gif

-Siege
Shev
that could be nasty. boost your strength up around 15 or so, then start 'sacrificing' everyone in sight to soak the drain.

I think it would be more like sacrificing someone beforehand, or as Siege suggested, being covered in blood from a sacrifice, etc. From what I've read, what matters is that the person being sacrificed is helpless/willing, not an enemy in combat.
Req
I'm mostly interested in the non-Azzie "blood magic" - not sacrificing another unwilling victim on a black altar, but the stuff that doesn't just scream CLICHE EVIL, like the Ghost Dance and the like. 'Cause it's just as evil in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't seem like it on the surface.

I love the plots that have good people doing nasty things for the best of reasons. cool.gif

edit - wouldn't you like to know?
Ancient History
Work on the new page will be somewhat delayed while I must needs go buy a new computer.
Kagetenshi
A purchase of choice or necessity?
What're ye' getting, AH?
Hmm... *idly wonders if a spell could improve the function of a computer*
Gives a whole new meaning to "virtual memory"...

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
*idly wonders if a spell could improve the function of a computer*

Worked for Leonardo. wink.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Work on the new page will be somewhat delayed while I must needs go buy a new computer.

Then what are you using now, AH?

My God, you're an Otaku!!! You are not using a computer to access the Internet!!! biggrin.gif
Ancient History
Right then, new computer aquired.

Begin document[web page], processing sourcebook data...
DV8
AH, could you make sure to mention that Blood Magic, though corrupting, doesn't necessarily equate "evil" through sacrifice and slaughter? That'd be swell.
Velocity
I realize that I should probably know this, but why is the Great Ghost Dance considered Blood Magic? Is it because of the mass death toll from the erupting volcanoes or were people actually sacrificed in the casting?
DV8
B.
Herald of Verjigorm
The GGD had a high death count among the dancers. The drain from such a ritual was measured in human lives.
Snake Oil
And it's assumed that those deaths were intentional or at the very least expected, and that the Great Ghost Dance was fueled even more by their passing. The latter regardless of the former makes it blood magic.
Ancient History
Will endeavor to elaborate that Magic is Power, power is neither Good nor Evil, only used for such. GGD was blood magic in the sense that it drew on the life force of its participants...and even more gruesomely in Twist's little Dance.
Siege
Bear in mind, SR was probably immensely gun-shy about posting rules for PCs to kill, maim and slaughter people in the course of roleplay.

Residual fears of the 80's devil-worshipping and rpg associations.

Of course, I'm not sure how that might differ from the combat section on the face of it...grinbig.gif

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012