Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
evilgoattea
The book says the hacking skill is linked to logic...however it seems at least 90 percent of the time instead of using logic you are simply using a program (usually exploit), so I guess my question is when would you ever make a Hacking + Logic Test without programs involved?

-Josh
Backgammon
Yes. Run a search, there are several threads that explore this in-debth with several house rules.
Ryu
Each skill has a linked attribute. This one gets used if you use the logic+skill optional matrix rule, but really not at all otherwise.

Search results will be plenty.
evilgoattea
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but every time I run a search it just gives me every thread on the board. Anyway...what book is the Matrix Optional Rule in? Or link me some of these other threads and Ill go check them out.
hazemyth
It's in Unwired.
Ryu
The search function has been infected by the dissonance. Advanced search does work - kind of.

The optional rule can be found in Unwired (pg.39, Using Attributes). Note that the cap on possible hits per test has a substantial effect on the odds of high-threshold hacking tests.
evilgoattea
Thanks all.
Ustio
Remember one important thing about the logic linked hacking skills:

Any device/ware that gives a bonus to "logic linked" skills will still give that bonus even if your not rolling logic, there are 2 bits of ware that all hackers (and techno's willign to take that 1 point hit in resonance) should never leve out
    Nanohive: with neo-cortical stimulant (or whatever the one that gives +R to all logic linked skills is called)
    PuSHeD
This will give +4 to all hacking/electronic warfare/software (including threading)/computer/etc rolls

Have fun
Malachi
Don't forget about the Encephalon!
Meschler
Remember a Nanohive with neo-cortical stimulant (or whatever the one that gives +R to all logic linked skills is called) gives his bonus only in nonstressfull situations. If you get this bonus during a hacking run is highly questionable and depends from your GM.

Best wishes,
Meschler
Matsci
QUOTE (Meschler @ Dec 17 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Remember a Nanohive with neo-cortical stimulant (or whatever the one that gives +R to all logic linked skills is called) gives his bonus only in nonstressfull situations. If you get this bonus during a hacking run is highly questionable and depends from your GM.

Best wishes,
Meschler

Slot that one Simsense Chip thing that makes you calm no matter what.
DWC
QUOTE (Matsci @ Dec 17 2008, 04:33 PM) *
Slot that one Simsense Chip thing that makes you calm no matter what.

Focus Reality Amplifier. Just the thing for someone who lives in Hot VR and is going to end up addicted to it anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012