Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longevity
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KCKitsune
OK, I have a silly question, but if I wanted my character to have an elven lifespan, but be a human changeling, how many points would that positive quality be?

I am thinking either 5 pt because it is useful, or 0 because in game terms it doesn't do jack.
phantom
I made the same quality for a character, and I did 5pts
The Jake
Meh. Spirit Pact 5pt gives you immortality if you pick the right one...

- J.
MaxMahem
0 pt. Longevity is a pure SFX, and a lame one at that IMO. Shadowrunners don't typically live long enough for it to become an issue. Games CERTAINLY don't go on long enough.
KCKitsune
Max, it was truly a fluff type of character background. I just had to ask the question.
Hagga
QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 16 2008, 06:29 AM) *
Meh. Spirit Pact 5pt gives you immortality if you pick the right one...

- J.

10. And if you make a pact with that spirit, chances are the home plane defences will be upped to screw with all of your capabilities. And said spirit that has that pact is not likely to be nice. Let's face it, it knows exactly where you are and how you are at all times.
Dragnar
I'd make it cost 5, simply because handing out freebies tends to open some nasty cans of worms.
And besides, if your background isn't even worth lousy 5 BP to you, it doesn't seem to be so important after all...
The Jake
QUOTE (Hagga @ Dec 16 2008, 12:00 PM) *
10. And if you make a pact with that spirit, chances are the home plane defences will be upped to screw with all of your capabilities. And said spirit that has that pact is not likely to be nice. Let's face it, it knows exactly where you are and how you are at all times.

No it is 5 not 10.

5pts per point of Edge and all Free Spirits start with 1 point of Edge.

- J.
Muspellsheimr
It has no mechanical effect. Leave it purely as character background.

QUOTE (Dragnar @ Dec 16 2008, 06:32 AM) *
I'd make it cost 5, simply because handing out freebies tends to open some nasty cans of worms.
And besides, if your background isn't even worth lousy 5 BP to you, it doesn't seem to be so important after all...

Freebies with no mechanical effect is not in any way a "nasty can of worms" - they do nothing except add a bit of flavor. I would never play in a game that required you to reduce your characters abilities because of a bit of character background, & I strongly suspect most others would feel the same way.
Fortune
QUOTE (The Jake)
... and all Free Spirits start with 1 point of Edge.

They do?
Muspellsheimr
When a spirit goes free, they loose all but 1 point of Edge. So, yes, they all start, initially, with 1 Edge.
Fortune
But there's no actual rule that states that every Spirit that makes a Spirit Pact with a character must have an Edge of only 1. That's why there is a variable cost per point of Edge.
Hagga
The gm for us houserules it as spirits having minimum 2 edge due to the minimum force when they go free.Seems fairer.
The Jake
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 16 2008, 10:34 PM) *
But there's no actual rule that states that every Spirit that makes a Spirit Pact with a character must have an Edge of only 1. That's why there is a variable cost per point of Edge.

Actually there is. Read up on Free Spirits and Positive Qualities in Street Magic.

If you take Spirit Pact positive quality it is very clear: For every 5BP you spend, the Edge of the spirit increases. You could arguably take multiple pacts, all with Edge 1 Free Spirits if you really wanted but that'd be risky and just makes you fodder to a mean GM. Or you could just take a 20BP positive quality with an Edge 4 free spirit (which, assuming your goals were aligned would rock rather nicely).

All Free Spirits start with an Edge of 1 initially, as Muspellsheimr said. Edge is variable however because as a spirit it can increase over time.

There is no need to house rule anything. This is all discussed in depth in Street Magic and is quite clear (much clearer than the purpose of a frigging datajack anyway...).

cheers

- J.
Fortune
Read what I actually wrote. I included absolutely no reference to BPs whatsoever. All I stated was that all Free Spirits that make Spirit Pacts do not automatically have an Edge of 1. You even say so yourself, in that if a character pays extra BP, the Spirit in question can have a higher Edge rating.
The Jake
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 17 2008, 01:33 PM) *
Read what I actually wrote. I included absolutely no reference to BPs whatsoever. All I stated was that all Free Spirits that make Spirit Pacts do not automatically have an Edge of 1. You even say so yourself, in that if a character pays extra BP, the Spirit in question can have a higher Edge rating.

Ok fine, if you want to split hairs, a free spirit can have an Edge score of whatever.

But all free spirits start with Edge 1.

Sorry, I guess I was talking more from the perspective of how one could have immortality at chargen.

- J.

MaxMahem
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Dec 16 2008, 08:32 AM) *

Upon further consideration I agree that 5 BP may be appropriate. If only because I being unaging is a terribly lame fantasy shtick that I wish would to die a horrible horrible death along with all the elves and vampires who are based upon it. Thus 5BP for a terribly lame special effect which I hate may not be uncalled for.

--

Man do I hate elves. Hey look at me! I'm like a human in every way, but you know, better! Horray! Fragging pointied eared leaf eating keebler slitches.

Thats it, I'm joining the humanists.
Hagga
All hail Brackhaven, next president of the UCAS.
HentaiZonga
Incidentally, are there any rules in SR about the effects of age on one's character stats?
Fortune
No special rules for aged, nor for the very young.
MK Ultra
Well, there is the 'Neoteny' Metagenetic trait, which could just as easily be taken for any underage character. Attributes stay the same, but they have less damage boxes and also social modifires under certain circumstances.

Reminds me of the 'Effects of Neotenous Adults on Media' discussion I was considdering to start.

EDIT:
Oh to go back on topic, I hate elfs, too nyahnyah.gif Oh wait, that wasn´t actually the topic ... well, I guess 10 BP are fine, because a formula pact I with a weak spirit gives you the same effect, but a lot of trouble-hooks for GMs to hook in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012