Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Other alternate HMHVV?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Morphius
Okay, so this talk of vampires in another forum post got me thinking: Does anybody have any alternate Infected types already created, a la what we see in Runner's Companion?

I was thinking in particular along the lines of the vampire along the lines of Cain and his descendents. They'd probably be more like Nosferatu (which is akin to ancient Jewish beliefs... I think), but still more human-looking. I'm not entirely sure they'd be allergic to wood (maybe sunlight, still), but they might have some other benefits and drawbacks.

I'm doing a lot of thinking, but anyone want to come up with a possible template for a "Cainite" vampire (or other alternative HMHVV-infected), complete with BP costs, attribute min-maxes, a basic description (are they human-looking or obviously monstrous), and other qualities? I figure it could be fun, and I might be able to get a "Cainite" template or two for my gaming group! wink.gif
GreyBrother
They come and go all the time.
Hagga
I..

Maybe you could just create a vampire that has a really buggered up magical geas that only allows him to learn certain spells, to represent disciplines. I just don't want to go further, I might be ill. Apologies.
Maelstrome
not what you are looking for but i made the Baroque a while back.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...&hl=baroque

kind of like the infected but i prefer displacement from reality.
Morphius
Um... I wasn't trying to bother anyone. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or wanted to take a crack at it.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Morphius @ Dec 17 2008, 11:36 AM) *
Um... I wasn't trying to bother anyone. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or wanted to take a crack at it.

Nosferatu are already in the game. Theyre obviously monstrous, and consider themselves superior to regular vampires in every way. They cost more to play, but they come with both the Influence and the Compulsion critter powers.
Morphius
I know they're already in the game. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for a vampire the likes of Cain's lineage. Seeing as how they act like Nosferatu, but may have other allergens, and are generally human-looking. It was just a thought. smile.gif
Morphius
Well, would a Human-Looking Nosferatu cost 155 points, as per just adding the Human-Looking quality? That could work...
Beetle
QUOTE (Morphius @ Dec 17 2008, 10:30 PM) *
I know they're already in the game. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for a vampire the likes of Cain's lineage. Seeing as how they act like Nosferatu, but may have other allergens, and are generally human-looking. It was just a thought. smile.gif

Not trying to turn on the flamethrower by any means, but that particular stuff belongs in White Wolf WoD setting in my opinion. It kinda messes with the whole metaplot 6th world kinda thing. Then again, your game, your rules.

I do remember shortly before 3rd edition Vampire came out White Wolf made a cyberpunk book and future setting for their properties. Not like werewolves and puissance fueled vampires needed to be any stronger with over the top cyberlimbs or anything.
Morphius
Oh, well. Like I said, just a thought. My group asks some weird questions, so I turned here for the answers. No worries. wink.gif

Stay tuned for the next strange series of questions.
Beetle
QUOTE (Morphius @ Dec 18 2008, 01:33 AM) *
Oh, well. Like I said, just a thought. My group asks some weird questions, so I turned here for the answers. No worries. wink.gif

Stay tuned for the next strange series of questions.

I'm not particularly fond of crossing the streams of drastically different game worlds. wink.gif
However, in order to be helpful if they do want to go the whole WoD vampire thing, I'd toss the concept of generation out the window. This is mainly for balance reasons. Low gen vamps might as well be gods for all the powers they have. Make them all magicians. For the clans, pick a set of spells for each clan to be part of their natural critter powers. Or perhaps if they want some generational powers to establish pecking order, let them initiate a couple times.

Hope that helps.
GreyBrother
Or make it a little bit like
"Hey, we're vampires now. Cool vampires. Let's make stuff up so everybody thinks we're around the block since centurys!" wink.gif
Drogos
I was hoping for a second you were thinking of the video games from awhile back featuring vampires (I'm at a complete loss as to what they were called. I wanna say Soulreaver or something like that, but I'm not sure at all).

Anywho, WoD and Shadowrun are such drastically different games and game systems that the thought of even trying to combine them boggles the mind. It's not only a terrible idea, but it's an impossibility. Mainly because there is no morality trait in SR and therefore you would miss the primary component of the WoD (a game of personal horror). And before I get flamed for saying it, I realize more people play WoD games as 'superheros that drink blood' than the way intended, but that is the WRONG way to play it (and yes, I said wrong and I'll be flamed for that, but I dare you to defy the definition of wrong being that they are not playing the game as written and ignoring a core mechanic, akin to playing SR with the only rules being used are the combat rules and all others are thrown out). In short, don't do it. It'd be easier to make Cain an immortal elf than a vampire. In fact, Cain probably was Harlequin.
Morphius
Oh, I understand now what the fuss is about. No, no... I'm not talking about different CLANS of vampires. Nothing so White Wolf. I was talking about a possible new sort of variant of HMHVV-infected vampire, similar to the alternate types of Infected listed in the Runner's Companion (the Caribbean vampires, etc.)

My group (and I) have no desire to turn this into WoD. I merely mentioned "Cain and his descendants" as the sort of "inspiration" for this vampire type. Nothing like actually BRINGING Cain (or a bunch of clans) into Shadowrun. It'd just be a different type of vampire/nosferatu/similar infected type that exists in the world. Nothing more. I have no intention of turning Shadowrun into clan wars, and if anything, it'd be on the periphery, for the occasional NPC and the player (I have one) who wants to play one.

That's all. smile.gif

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but no, I don't intend to cross any streams. I just meant the sort of vampire that arises from Jewish mythology as an alternate, and what the differences would be.
GreyBrother
Ah. Okay. So, what differentes them from the regular Vampires?
Morphius
I'm not TOO familiar with the legends, but I believe they had something to do with needing invitations to enter a home and/or needing earth from their graves with them. Of course, especially in Shadowrun, legends lie. I was honestly leaving it open if anybody had any ideas even having nothing to do with what I just mentioned. I don't want to drag this topic on, though. If someone wants to take a crack at it, that's fine. If not, that's fine, too.
Hagga
The point of Shadowrun is that everything in Mythology is real, just a bit different. They're what inspired Jewish Mythology - at least in the SR world. If I run into a hideous vampiric monstrosity on my run tonight, I'l llet you know, though.

And most likely allergies to things like holy water, crosses, etc. There is a line in RC that says the infected are quite able to take them as it is a psychosomatic effect.
Morphius
Yupyup. I was just wondering how that particular mythology could be adapted.
Morphius
Legends like needing an invitation to enter a home or whatnot. It's not a big deal. I was just speculating.
The Jake
QUOTE (Morphius @ Dec 17 2008, 08:43 AM) *
Okay, so this talk of vampires in another forum post got me thinking: Does anybody have any alternate Infected types already created, a la what we see in Runner's Companion?

I was thinking in particular along the lines of the vampire along the lines of Cain and his descendents. They'd probably be more like Nosferatu (which is akin to ancient Jewish beliefs... I think), but still more human-looking. I'm not entirely sure they'd be allergic to wood (maybe sunlight, still), but they might have some other benefits and drawbacks.

I'm doing a lot of thinking, but anyone want to come up with a possible template for a "Cainite" vampire (or other alternative HMHVV-infected), complete with BP costs, attribute min-maxes, a basic description (are they human-looking or obviously monstrous), and other qualities? I figure it could be fun, and I might be able to get a "Cainite" template or two for my gaming group! wink.gif

This wouldn't involve "clans" now either would it... ?

- J.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012