Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do System and Firewall cound against total programs run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CoyoteNZ
The more software you run, the more likely you are to have your commlinks response reduced.

I was wanting to know if SYSTEM and FIREWALL, which are both programs, count against this total or not?

Even with a Response 5 commlink, five programs will slow it down, so knowing if you start with 0 or 2 when you just have your OS and Firewall loaded will have a big effect.

You can't run without your OS, but is their anything stopping you from ditching the firewall if you are running two many programs?

Max,
Dunedin, NZ
Kingboy
To use a slightly cancerous analogy, System and Firewall are, in background terms, software, but they do not follow the rules for game items using the keyword "Software", rather they are "Attributes [Software]" (as opposed to "Attributes [Hardware]" like Signal and Response) for networked devices. So no, they do not count against the number of running programs.

This is also why you can run a Rating 6 Firewall on a Response 4 commlink, as well as why there are no Program Options from Unwired applicable to either Sytem or Firewall.

I suppose you could run without a Firewall if you custom built the commlink/node from scratch, but I hope you like sharing your commlink with every hacker/techno/spambot/zombie army you walk past...
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Kingboy @ Dec 18 2008, 01:11 AM) *
To use a slightly cancerous analogy, System and Firewall are, in background terms, software, but they do not follow the rules for game items using the keyword "Software", rather they are "Attributes [Software]" (as opposed to "Attributes [Hardware]" like Signal and Response) for networked devices. So no, they do not count against the number of running programs.

This is also why you can run a Rating 6 Firewall on a Response 4 commlink, as well as why there are no Program Options from Unwired applicable to either Sytem or Firewall.

I suppose you could run without a Firewall if you custom built the commlink/node from scratch, but I hope you like sharing your commlink with every hacker/techno/spambot/zombie army you walk past...

actually I would be worried about the FIRST hacker you walk by. I can see that hacker looking at your "naked" 'Link and going "OH GOODIE! Free nuyen, and a nice Trojan Horse carrier!" I can see the hacker setting up a nice firewall and using the poor slot as a diversion at a later date."
Fortune
QUOTE (CoyoteNZ @ Dec 18 2008, 05:00 PM) *
I was wanting to know if SYSTEM and FIREWALL, which are both programs, count against this total or not?

No. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012