Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I spy with my magical eye...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dragnar
I have a question regarding the exact effect of this detection spell. It's touch range, but the range is used casting the spell at the person I want to give the sense to (so I have to touch him) and has no bearing on the spell itself, which has its own defined range. The question is now, is range the only qualifier as to where the "visual point" may be placed? Can I...

A) Place the visual point in view at a corner and look around it, seeing people not actually in my line of sight?
B) Place the visual point anywhere within range, even behind a wall, I can't look through normally?
C) Neither? (which would make the spell quite useless)

I originally assumed B, as the text only ever talks about range. I then changed my mind to A, as B seemed really powerful, but with newer books introducing mundane ways of looking through walls, my original idea looks like it was correct. I'd still like some confirmation, though.

As a second question: detection spells give you a new sense, but do those duplicating an existing sense (like clairvoyance) "turn off" your original sense? Can a mage casting clairvoyance see from both the spell point and his own eyes simultaneously or only from one at a time?
Stahlseele
touch range meaning, you have to touch the person who shall benefit from the spell . . so go to your buddy, touch him and he can see trough walls and around corners and such stuff . . if you can't touch your buddy, he won't be able to do so . .
Malachi
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Dec 19 2008, 07:04 AM) *
I have a question regarding the exact effect of this detection spell. It's touch range, but the range is used casting the spell at the person I want to give the sense to (so I have to touch him) and has no bearing on the spell itself, which has its own defined range. The question is now, is range the only qualifier as to where the "visual point" may be placed? Can I...

A) Place the visual point in view at a corner and look around it, seeing people not actually in my line of sight?
B) Place the visual point anywhere within range, even behind a wall, I can't look through normally?
C) Neither? (which would make the spell quite useless)

I originally assumed B, as the text only ever talks about range. I then changed my mind to A, as B seemed really powerful, but with newer books introducing mundane ways of looking through walls, my original idea looks like it was correct. I'd still like some confirmation, though.

As a second question: detection spells give you a new sense, but do those duplicating an existing sense (like clairvoyance) "turn off" your original sense? Can a mage casting clairvoyance see from both the spell point and his own eyes simultaneously or only from one at a time?

I always played this spell as B. Secondly, I also played that it "replaced" the affected person's normal vision. Note that you cannot use the Clairvoyance spell to target someone with spells.
Ryu
QUOTE (Malachi @ Dec 19 2008, 04:20 PM) *
I always played this spell as B. Secondly, I also played that it "replaced" the affected person's normal vision. Note that you cannot use the Clairvoyance spell to target someone with spells.

That is, from my understanding, the RAW way. Note that you need the Mana Window version of the spell if your position and the desired POV lie on different sides of an astral barrier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012