Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damage Laundering with Empathic Healing...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
pbangarth
The Empathic Healing adept power, Street Magic, p. 176, allows an adept to draw physical damage from another character into his own person. This may seem like a silly thing to do, but if the first question below is answered in the affirmative, it is a good way to split the damage between two people so that it can be two less-draining spells for the caster of the Heal spell. Particularly if the high Essence adept draws damage away from a low Essence character, such as a cybered-to-the-gills samurai. I have two questions.

1)
Given that the Empathic Heal power doesn't actually wipe out any damage, just redistribute it, does the Empathic Heal allow the use of the Heal spell to deal with the remaining damage in the subject and in the adept?

2)
If #1 works, then what happens if the adept draws some physical damage into himself that was Drain damage in a magician? The magician cannot be helped with a Heal spell, but is the damage 'laundered' in the transfer in such a way that whatever amount is transferred can be Healed in the adept?

Peter
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 20 2008, 09:45 AM) *
The Empathic Healing adept power, Street Magic, p. 176, allows an adept to draw physical damage from another character into his own person. This may seem like a silly thing to do, but if the first question below is answered in the affirmative, it is a good way to split the damage between two people so that it can be two less-draining spells for the caster of the Heal spell. Particularly if the high Essence adept draws damage away from a low Essence character, such as a cybered-to-the-gills samurai. I have two questions.

1)
Given that the Empathic Heal power doesn't actually wipe out any damage, just redistribute it, does the Empathic Heal allow the use of the Heal spell to deal with the remaining damage in the subject and in the adept?

2)
If #1 works, then what happens if the adept draws some physical damage into himself that was Drain damage in a magician? The magician cannot be helped with a Heal spell, but is the damage 'laundered' in the transfer in such a way that whatever amount is transferred can be Healed in the adept?

Peter

I suppose so. After all the Heal spell + Empathic Healing adept power requires the mage to know the spell (ok Heal spell is probably the most commonly known spell, the one that anyone with a minimum of brain has, but it's still a requirement) and the adept to know the power (which isn't a given from roleplay point of view, it requires the character to be willing to take other people damage, and pain, on himself), which means two characters (maybe one and half, that Heal spell being "common") built specificaly to work together to pull the trick off; also two spells mean two drains to be resisted for the mage.
Also take in account that First Aid can be comboed with Heal spell (if applied before the spell) to maximize the effects; it can be comboed with Pain Relief adept power to heal stun (again first aid first, that Pain Relief).
It allowes to put the team members back on their feet sooner with lower medical expenses, not that gamebreaking (the process takes too long to be used effectively in combat and drain from spells/fading can't be affected by magic).
The question is can a Mystic Adept heal him/her-self transfer the damage to him/her-self to reset the damage and keep doing it untill he/she has healed all the damage? In my opinion Mystic Adepts ar so karma intensive that it's not a problem, especialy because the wounds modifiers would apply so in order to avoid just adding drain to damage Rapid Healing and Pain Resistance powers are advisable to have making the built highly expensive and making initiation a must (much less a problem than a Killing Hands + maximum level Critical Strike + Elemental Strike (sonic) combo is).
Fortune
The question is whether Empathic Healing counts as 'magical healing', since each set of wounds can only be healed once via magic.
pbangarth
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

Peter
Fortune
I'd rule that Empathic Healing does count as magical healing, and that subsequent magical healing attempts such as the Heal spell would not work.
Pendaric
I would second that. But would allow the adept to be healed magically on the transfered wounds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012