Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened to the Irish!?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Socinus
I know that Ireland was turned into Tir na nOg and is now basically an Elvish nation, but what happened to the humans? I mean maybe they were kinda edged out by the Elves but there still had to be some human populations there.

So what happened to the bloody Irish!?
Morrigana
They were all forcibly converted into elves, in one manner or another.

Remember: It's not cannibalism if they're not the same species as you.
hermit
Nothing much happened to them, really. The Tir isn't a purely elf nation, it's 'only' around 40% elves. Abnormally high count of elf babies born in 2010 explains for that. Other than that, it's secluded, but not quite as overly anti-nonelf as TT used to be before Horizon remade it into an orc-run haven of Horizon goodness.

Of course, some Irish emigrated and formed resistance groups, mainly in Boston, who chiefly resist the Tir by blowing local elves up.
Red_Cap
Hermit is mostly right, but I would point out that while the pro-elf bias is not quite as publicly pronounced in Tir Na nOg than it *was* in Tairngire, it was still pretty prevalent. I recall there being a picture in the TNO sourcebook of a chain-gang of dwarves wearing festive leprechaun-ish clothes. And unlike the current state of affairs in Tairngire, the TNO's government is eminently stable. It's isolated enough to avoid much of the same outside meddling that led to the TT's collapse, so the elves are likely to stay on top of the food chain for a good long while; humans take second place in the hierarchy, I would imagine dwarves are third, with the orks and trolls at the bottom of the barrel.
Fortune
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Dec 21 2008, 12:33 PM) *
... so the elves are likely to stay on top of the food chain for a good long while; humans take second place in the hierarchy, I would imagine dwarves are third, with the orks and trolls at the bottom of the barrel.

As it should be! :8
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Morrigana @ Dec 20 2008, 07:02 PM) *
They were all forcibly converted into elves, in one manner or another.

Remember: It's not cannibalism if they're not the same species as you.

Ahh, Jonathan Swift. His modest proposal may have been satire, but he should have known that someone would like it enough to put it into practice.
Adarael
"Your papers are NOT in order. OM NOM NOM NOM!"
hermit
And unlike the current state of affairs in Tairngire, the TNO's government is eminently stable. It's isolated enough to avoid much of the same outside meddling that led to the TT's collapse

TNN propably had a fairly active role in TT's demise into a stupid setting run by Mary-Sue, inc. Alachia, that one's on you.

Yes, TNN is a more stable country. Irish non-elves are second-class citizens, but then again, Irish are kinda used to that, aren't they? Also, and I find this extremly depressing, TNN has many things in common with modern european nations, politically and regarding it's policies. If they could, the EU would of course set up a veil of sorts to keep out foreigners, their politics on ecology are only slightly milder than the Tir's, and spooks have about the same privileges now as they have in the Tir book. As for the Danaan? Well, all European countries have their little upper-class cabals, don't they, whether it's the academie francaise, the student associations in Germany, or old money and nobility in Britain. I don't see the Tir falling more than I see france, Germany or Britain collapsing.

We'll see, though, how the authors treat TNN; I'm not one to hold my hopes high there, but willing to wait and see.
Snow_Fox
Celtic Cross was a run set in ireland which should give some details if you don't want to spend for the TNO SB.

Northern Ireland was supposed to have become the rebelious base of humans against Elvish oppression. Since the tir had a problem with Rome, the Irish catholics in cities like Boston were providing aid an support. that was the idea, but I htink at some point designers felt RL was too painful to keep that going and it seems to have quietly faded away.
Wounded Ronin
They all ended up in that bar in Fallout 2. That's why there's a 1910-style Irish boxer in a post apocalyptic California bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012